AT Summit and other campers at NWOR

OutbacKamper

I just returned from the North West Overland Ralley. I really enjoyed the event. One of many great things to do at the rally, for me, was checking out some camper options in person for the first time.

I was really interested in checking out the Go Fast Camper. As I suspected, the interior is too small for me, but the build quality and finishing appears to be excellent. I will certainly keep an eye on GFC, to see if they bring out a larger model.
IMG_4714.jpeg

The AT Summit prototype was at the show. I like the design very much. It uses a sandwich panel design to give some stiffness and insulation value to the aluminum panels. The interior was much roomier (than the GFC) and you have a few feet of full height standing room at the back of the camper even with the bed deployed.
DSC_0422-695x465.jpg

The Earth Cruiser MOD400 was at the show as well. It is an interesting camper, they have taken the GZL400 and made it into a shell model. There will be PAKS accessory kits available to outfit the interior or you can do you own thing. I think this is a great marketing strategy.

Unfortunately the photos I took seem to have erased themselves. I have included a few stock photos from the manufacturers websites where possible.

We also had a great time camping at the NWOR and checking out all the campers. My father and I were planning on ordering a GoFast camper for his truck...now that we had the opportunity to see all the options in person we’re back on the fence deciding lol.

We liked the GoFast unit, light and simple. Construction looked really good and finish work was top notch. Canvas material is similar to what we have on the FWC and it’s been super waterproof. We live in the desert and the camper will be outside 365..the sun here tears things up fast. We both wondered how the composite roof will hold up over time to intense sun. Also not sure I like the light coming in through the composite translucent top, I could see times where I want it dark in the tent. Guess one could always make a internal light cover for the top.

We both really liked the Vagabond unit a lot as well, the construction is top notch and we both prefer the solid aluminum structure, insulated aluminum roof and less seals on the sides. They also have similar canvas material to the FWC which again we have found bullet proof in rain.

The AT was great as well but higher $$ and the canvas material looked more like treated tent material than a true waterproof material like the others. I hung around twice to talk to the AT rep but never got the chance. The fit and finish of the AT was really good. They had the habitat on display as well but we both like the wedge design over the Habitat.

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Have to do a bit more thinking on it :).

Here’s an arial shot of the NWOR

IMG_1336-XL.jpg

And a couple of the campers.
AT

IMG_1308-X2.jpg

Vagabond

IMG_1378-X2.jpg

Gofast

IMG_1323-X2.jpg

And our camp in the FWC.

IMG_1384-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy said:
We both really liked the Vagabond unit a lot as well, the construction is top notch and we both prefer the solid aluminum structure, insulated aluminum roof and less seals on the sides. They also have similar canvas material to the FWC which again we have found bullet proof in rain.

The AT was great as well but higher $$ and the canvas material looked more like treated tent material than a true waterproof material like the others. I hung around twice to talk to the AT rep but never got the chance. The fit and finish of the AT was really good. They had the habitat on display as well but we both like the wedge design over the Habitat.
Hodakaguy;
Thanks for posting those pictures. It's funny, I had no problem talking to Marion from AT about his Summit camper, but never managed to talk to the Vagabond rep or even get a close look inside. Every time I tried he had multiple other customers. Do you know if the Vagabond is available for a full size truck?
Cheers
TEG

Back
Top Bottom