ATC FWC opening mechanism

Mine is in the same condition. Actually I only have a lift panel in the back (which is garbage) and just using 2 x 10's to hold up the front.

You still have to go outside and push in the corners of the liner as you latch the top down. Everyone should do this. If you push in the corners every time you will not get the wear spots that are so common on the corners of the liner.

Ben, I was reading on another TC group that many run their roof fan on exhaust, with door closed, to pull in the sides while lowering the top. Would this help or hinder with an ATC/FWC?

BTW, as a FullTimer who likes to read and camp where there's no shore power, I liked plenty of ventilation. One of the big drawbacks to me with my Scamp 13' fiberglass trailer is that there is no window in front and inevitably I would wind up parked facing into the wind, so the back and side windows didn't do much -- My older Jayco 16' did have front windows and it was much nicer in that regard.

Len was using the best part of camping with a tent trailer -- Opening the whole thing up to bring the outdoors inside!

One thing I have absolutely learned reading RV groups is that there are lots of individual camping styles. Some folks are busy modifying their Scamp/Casita, etc., trailers to add a bath while others are busy ripping out their baths to get more space... I have junked a/c, fridge and converters because they were excess weight and not useful to me; others are busy adding or replacing them.

Rick; Thanks for the thoughts and photo's. That really helps... I'm really interested in your re-engineering efforts. Hope you will share the triumphs and failures.... I say GO INVENTORS!

Obviously the existing system works well, but perhaps has a few drawbacks.... hinges on thin plywood may suffer a bit from wear and tear and provide places for moisture to gather and form mold. On some overhead beds, it sounds like reaching for the lever can be an issue. Solid panel ends mean no windows. Despite the existence of plentiful side windows, I still think some end to end air flow might be great at times. I know we use those on our tent trailer on a regular basis. Often in the morning the place is damp and needs an airing out, so we'll open all the windows and let nature do her thing. Our Tent trailer has 8 windows and a roof vent. Any or all get used from time to time sometimes to take advantage of or to avoid a wind blowing from a particular direction.

I guess an advantage to buying a used rig (if one can be found) is a little greater sense of freedom to tear into it. Tearing into a new one is.... well... best done when the wife's at a weekend yoga workshop.

Ben, I was reading on another TC group that many run their roof fan on exhaust, with door closed, to pull in the sides while lowering the top. Would this help or hinder with an ATC/FWC?

Ben, disregard the question as some of the guys have answered it (not much help, if any) on the concurrent thread about fantastical fans.

using fan to lower roof

I have never heard of that one before. I know that it will not allow enough air flow to really lower the roof correctly. I always have a door open to do it. The sides come in just fine with the shock cords attached. You still have to poke each corner in on the side to make sure the liner isn't rubbing there and off you go.

Back
Top Bottom