ATC Manx Flatbed Camper: 2nd Generation

MANXMAN

Picked up the new Manx Camper shell in Oct. The fine fellows at ATC supplied me with photos of the frame during construction.
i-nPqxptc-L.jpg
i-hSn4LbM-L.jpg
i-xJQxs8Z-L.jpg

i-STL9LNS-L.jpg

Got it home and put into the shop for the interior build during the winter.

A few pictures of the finished empty shell.
i-d5TQ5W6-L.jpg
i-6Ftb3ht-L.jpg
i-3fSxZCD-L.jpg

Installed the furnace.
i-GGwWmKp-L.jpg

Built the rear seat box.

i-8vHDKPB-L.jpg

Built the front seat box and checking to see if the water tank (cardboard box mock-up) water pump, fuse box, battery, cutoff switch and inverter all fits as planned. It's tight but ok.

i-J6M7m6Z-L.jpg

Making the cabinets from maple this time. The face frame for the fridge cabinet. Working with different stain colors now to find the right one.

i-Xg24dL7-XL.jpg

Nice looking frame Manxman. Looking forward to you layout, and seeing it come to life. What size and brand truck will it live on.

Russ

fireball said:
What's this going on?
CougarCouple said:
What size and brand truck will it live on.

Russ
A 2017 Ford Superduty.

To keep the wheelbase as short as possible for offroad wandering, it's a Supercab short box. Even with the short 148" wheelbase the 7' 9" camper fits basically flush to the hitch so no loss of departure angle.

How about some pictures of the truck and flatbed? Don't make me beg! :D

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I notice that your water tank mock-up is partially blocking an access door. Are you going to keep it that way?
Yes, it is like that for a reason.

The door is there mainly to allow access to the right front bolt that secures the camper to the deck. The other five bolts that secure the camper are accessible without the need of access doors. I made the door larger than needed for that so I could see the water level while filling the tank. Quite often we don't want to put the entire 77 litre capacity in the tank for shorter trips so this allows us to gauge how much is in it.

The larger door also gives us room to put a exterior water supply tap at that end of the tank and easily get to it.
i-5RhTrLz-L.jpg

Manxman,

Congratulations on a new camper, and a new truck! I'll be following along to see your build. It'll be fun to watch your creativity for a second go around.

Poky

MANXMAN said:
The new flatbed hasn't been built yet but will be much like the one on my F150.
i-prfwdKt-L.jpg

The new truck.
i-VJBdHKx-L.jpg
Nice truck! I've been thinking about upgrading from my F-150 SCrew. My biggest problem is trying to decide on cab and bed size. Your truck doesn't look any longer than mine. I really want a crew cab long bed, but they're 20 miles long.

Any updates on your build?

Are you in the Vancouver area? Have you sold your F150/Manx combo? I'd be interested in having a look at it.

I'll try to do an update on the camper interior build shortly.

Haven't had time to put the F150/Manx camper up for sale yet as the last several months have been very busy.

I'm in Kelowna. Send me a PM if you would like to arrange to see it or if you would like any information about it.

It certainly wasn't planned for the interior build of our new ATC Manx Flatbed Camper to take such a long time to complete. With another truck and camper to use, it just kept being put off. Having been home so much this year due to the pandemic, I had the time to finally finish it.

It's great to see it out of the shop and parked along side the original Manx Camper.
i-Qhf2Tf4-X2.jpg

The aluminum flatbed was custom fabricated for this camper.
i-5QHG5BP-X2.jpg

The camper has a five foot cabover instead of the usual four foot. It suits the length of the Supercab nicely and frees up an extra foot of interior space when the bed is pulled out. The camper is 6'9" wide by 7'9" long plus the 5 foot cabover.
i-KWpMwFG-X2.jpg

i-N2FPRcL-X2.jpg
The F350 has a Carli 2.5" Pintop Suspension System, Toyo Open Country R/T tires plus a Warn bumper and winch. An Engel freezer is in the back of the cab on a slide.

Will put up some interior pictures of the camper shortly.

The cabinets are made from maple and stained a weathered grey
i-xhms4Vk-X2.jpg

i-wg49cCF-X2.jpg

i-tXn6Hqn-X2.jpg

i-Qmm9ssJ-X2.jpg

i-tr9gjV2-X2.jpg

i-BpXz6BL-X2.jpg

i-HQ9gcSm-X2.jpg

Pullout garbage and recycling drawer (scored major points with my wife for this).
i-tMtcKMV-X2.jpg

Map drawer.
i-87cFxH4-X2.jpg

Drawers in the pantry. Port-a-Pottie on a slide below.
i-58Fg3CR-X2.jpg

Sink is usable with bed slide pulled out.
i-pwJTL66-X2.jpg

Electrical, battery, water pump and inverter are under the front dinette seat for easy access.
i-gSTTdFT-X2.jpg

20 US gallon water tank with tap for outside cleanups. Easy to see the water level while filling it or while camping.
i-zBVk6DG-X2.jpg

Other features are a 2.7 cubic foot compressor fridge, 12,000 BTU furnace, Maxxair roof fan, 320 watt solar system, Lithium battery, two 12 volt charging ports, and a dedicated cabinet for my wife's Kokopelli Packraft and PFD (more points).

Back
Top Bottom