Attaching Renogy Solar Panels?

TimP56

I have a 2006 Eagle and have recently purchased two 100W renogy bendable solar panels I was hoping to attach them to the roof using 3m 4200 adhesive sealant. The screws in the roof are in the way. Has anyone any ideas or solution to my problem?

I recently installed 3 100w Renogy panels using 3M Marine 4000UV adhesive - this seems to be the recommended adhesive. I have the one piece roof so did not have to deal with screws. Are the screws not flush, is that the issue?

Best place to buy the adhesive is amazon. I'm trying to think of a good way to cover the screws too. I was thinking duct tape since it will be covered anyways. Let me know what you come up with.

You may also want to consider keeping a panel for remote charging if you don't already have one in case you park in the shade.

Good luck.

never heard back from the original poster what the issue with the screws was. If its because they are not flush and the panel won't lay flat, I think you could just get some plexiglass or something that is the same thickness that the screws extend above the roof surface. Since you only put adhesive on an area about an inch wide around the panel and a little in the middle, you could glue a 2 inch strip of plexiglass around the perimeter where the panel will go, and few strips in the middle, to create a surface slightly higher than the screws, and then glue the panel to those. This might raise the panel1/4" above the roof but I would see no issue with that. It is certainly still much lighter and more aerodynamic than having heavy panels with an inch gap under them where wind buffets around and puts tremendous stress on the rack/mounting system.

Plexiglas strips. Sounds like a good idea Don. The 3M 4000 glue the strips down to the roof, then wait 24 hours for the glue to dry before mounting the panels.

Back
Top Bottom