Auto or Manual transmission with Diesel

norcalhawk

So, my apology if there is info on this topic already, if so, I did not find it. I have a 2012 FWC Hawk, for the most part, it weights 2K plus pounds. I'm thinking seriously about upgrading to a 3/4 ton Diesel in the near future. I have a '02 4x4 Tundra with Automatic Trans. now. Question: What tansmission, auto or manual, would fit my set up properly. I use my truck with camper once a month, camper is on truck almost always, drive a lot of backcountry roads, but also a lot of highway miles to get to the backcountry. I'm not driven to beat up my truck on severe 4x4 roads.

Almost all of the new automatics having a locking tork convertor and a locking over drive. I don't need a manual and clutch anymore.

Auto is easier to manage on rough trails especially with a heavy rig. Vs trying to manage the clutch etc.
I like MT for their simplicity but most of the established known Automatics are pretty reliable. The new 6+speed Automatics however could be interesting regarding reliability and only time will tell.

I'm with Bill, to a degree. With virtually all modern automatics having torque converter "lockup", eliminating entirely any slippage from the engine to the drivetrain, one of the old-school major objections to automatice is eliminated. And he's also right about overdrive lockout--modern automatics have pushbutton settings (mine's on the end of the shift lever) locking the transmission out of overdrive, which on mine, also disables the "coast clutch". With the coast clutch disabled, you get real-world engine braking. Engine braking on a diesel is rather more powerful than on a gasser. I can descend long 6-8% grades with very little braking if I lock out of overdrive at the top of the grade.

All of that said, when I shopped for a used 3/4 ton or 1-ton diesel 10 years ago, I wanted a manual. I just couldn't find one in the weeks of casual to active searching. They're rare back East. I fancied a manual mostly due to having suffered multiple auto trans failures on prior vehicles, all due to overheating during boat towing excursions (4 auto trans failures in all, from 1985 through 2002, and all but 1 in half-ton Suburbans, including twice in the same 'Burban!). My thinking was "get a manual trans and be DONE with trans failure always being in the back of my mind". Couldn't find one, and to top it all off, I bought a 2002 Ford 7.3 diesel with the notorious 4R100 automatic, known far and wide for torque converter failure at an early age. Must have gotten a good one, as now she's got 244,000 miles on the original 4R100 automatic.

Foy

I have a 2013 Hawk. I got the base package and added screen door, jacks, and a few other little things. Mine weighs just over 1400 loaded with water and all my camping gear.

When I'm overlanding I wish I had a manual, when I'm commuting to work I'm glad I have an auto. Not sure what I'd do if I was getting a new truck now.

i had a 2013 ram 2500 with a 6sp. manual , i really liked it until it got wrecked i could not find a truck to replace it so i got a new silverado but anyway , you get more torque with an auto from ram so if you are pulling a load..

Another crotch-sore, fence-sitter. Our diesel is an auto. Ours is a 12V Cummins and on our last trip it got hot enough that I pulled it over to let it cool down. I was seeing 235°F in the pan and climbing. We were going up CA 168 toward the Bristle Cones at the hottest time of the day, but I had been waffling on what to get for the runabout and that experience affirmed my purchase of an NV 4500 manual for it.

If you're buying used some autos (Allison) are better than others. No clue about all the new stuff. Comes down to, what do you want?

I wasn't aware of the converter and overdrive lockout. Auto have gotton better. I have an auto in my '02 (170K miles) tundra and it works flawlessly. Did I just "jinx" myself....

Ha! The real revelation here is how much our campers weigh .... Thanks to NorCal for saying it. That said I am gonna stick with my 1/2 ton and upgrade the suspension. Yes it's a slug on the mountain passes.

I would be interested to k now if the manual transmissions, because they are so rare command a higher resale value, or is it the opposite?

Manual Transmission lowers resale value a bit since the automatic transmission is an expensive option to begin with. They are harder to sell because autos are easier around town/traffic and are better for towing. I had a manual transmission on a 2500 CTD truck and it was manageable but harder on rough and steep roads. For rock crawling, I've seen a manual do pretty well in Moab, but it really was not as manageable as an automatic transmission.

GM and Ford no longer even offer a stick transmission. Ram does but only with the derated lower output motor. The only manual shifter I own is my Harley.

I have an Allison automatic transmission is my Chevy and keep being amazed at how good it is.

One of the very smart decisions on Chevy's part was getting very friendly with Allison. One of the few really good business decisions upper management made ;-) I'm liking what I see GM doing today. The new CEO seems to get it and no doubt has lots of house cleaning still but I'm more and more impressed with their recent vehicles. I hope they keep moving forward we need some good Domestic Auto Business news for a change besides TESLA. LOL

If and when I reach a point of needing a replacement truck, and the "when" is based largely upon available funds (or, at the very least, a lessening of other needs for funds!), I'm thinking an Allison in a 1-ton single-rear wheel Chebby is what I'll shoot for.

Interesting to learn manuals are not even offered by GM and Ford. Not that I'll ever be in the market for a new diesel pickup with a price tag > $60,000.

Foy

I have a 6 speed manual (ZF-6) in my 2005 F-250 6.0L Diesel. It's been great so far, the Low speed has come in handy when crawling through bumpy patches or making steep rough descents. Every vehicle I've ever bought has had a manual transmission. There's a certain gratification that I get out of clutching and shifting gears, and I like the predictability of it all (it only changes gears when I tell it to). I really like that the Reverse and 1st gears are over in the same corner, makes it easier for rocking out of a rutt or turning the big wheelbase around on a narrow road (6 point turn, anyone?).

I am a manual person. With my 12 valve and NV2500, I find it easy. I almost always in low range where the gears are closer and I can maintain a low RPM. When the road gets rough, I take my foot off the accelerator and just let the engine idle the truck along, even going up steep hills. Works perfectly. The only drawback to the manual is in soft sand. I cannot shift fast enough to get up a good speed, so I sort of churn my way through it. A auto is far better. Where I live, traffic is not a issue. Everybody has different setups and their reasons for making it that way. What works for me may not work for the next person, just have to weigh all the factors and make a decision.

I've had both and there are pluses and minuses. Both behind a 7.3L powerstroke. I didn't mind the manual unless I was commuting then it was a bit of a chore. Outside of that it was fine and it would crawl and creep along. Mine current rig has the dreaded 4R100 also but it's been fine. 157K, still original, and I work it pretty hard. I've got friends with GM's and their results are a mixed bag as far as Allison reliability. Buddies with Fords and Dodges seem to do better when pulling 10K lb+ loads than the GM guys. Probably just luck of the draw... If you take a full size rig in tight places, the auto is a little easier to handle IMO.

One thing to consider also in getting a newer truck are the smog related components. In 2012 I purposely bought a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd diesel just so I wouldn't have to deal with the smog components breaking or sucking power from the truck. The lack of smog components on the earlier Dodge diesels (2003-2006) have caused their prices to actually increase. In 2012 I paid $27,500 for my truck and it had 66k miles on it, it's probably worth that or even more now with almost 100k miles on it. Check this out:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/threads/249908-Used-3rd-Gen-s-are-stupid-crazy-on-price

Back
Top Bottom