Avoiding Empty Propane Tank

Backroad Joe

Advanced Member
My question is how do I know when to fill my propane tank?

My new to me pop-up went on our maiden trip over the weekend. Had a very enjoyable experience. Being new to truck campers there are a few areas I need to get better acquainted with. One unknown at this point is what is a good method for determining how much propane is onboard? I was running the frig on LP and as colder weather comes I'll be running the furnace too. Currently I have no Idea what the consumption rates are. I obviously don't want to run out during a trip.

I've used a little 5lb bottle for camping in the past. I weighed it empty when i bought it and again when it was full. Those weights are written on the cylinder. After every trip I would weight it, calculate the percentage remaining and write it on a sticky note on the cylinder. That has always served me well.

Are there other methods?

If you get a frost line on the outside of the tank you know where the liquid level is. I usually just slosh ours. After a while you'll develop a feel for how full. There are stickers and magnets made that are sort of like the Mood Rings of old, they change color at the liquid line. Never used one so no idea how good or bad they are.

Had a stick on gauge on my bottle in my old camper - it worked OK, but depending on the ambient temp sometimes had to pour hot water on it to get a reading, which was a hassle. I have a built in gauge on my current 'forklift' tank in the new camper - which seems pretty inaccurate altogether. I also have an inline gauge that's on my BBQ grill that I had got for my old camper but never got around to using so I put on the grill - its seems to be the most accurate but again its just OK.

So I think you've got the right approach in knowing your consumption and measuring. I ended up with 3 tanks when I had the old camper and always rotated through them - used it in the camper for a while then after a few trips rotated it to the BBQ grill and stuck a full one in the camper. Ran them empty using them for the grill or the fire pit and then refilled.

Been there, done that. Including having a leak which drained 20# tank in the winter. We had to barter chocolate bars for 1# bottles to make it through twenty degree nights, then spent two days hunting for a refill in DVNP. Not fun.

Two suggestions:
Get a 'steak saver' adapter which will adapt from acme thread to standard thread for BBQ, etc. This will allow you to substitute a small disposable bottle if main tank is empty.

Second, consider a second smaller auxiliary tank as a back up. We use ours for the Webber and heating water for the Zodi. It gives me peace of mind to have multiple backups to a critical fuel when out in the boonies.

The gauge on our tank doesn't seem to move- always shows about 1/2 a tank full. We keep a couple of the 1 lb. bottles handy just in case we run out. Never have though.

Why do you need to know how much is left? I always just use mine until I wake up in the night and it's cold or till it goes out cooking. Then I swap tanks... as soon as the trip is over I make sure to fill that empty tank so I basically always have a full tank on the ready.

RyanOBrian1 said:
Why do you need to know how much is left? I always just use mine until I wake up in the night and it's cold or till it goes out cooking. Then I swap tanks... as soon as the trip is over I make sure to fill that empty tank so I basically always have a full tank on the ready.
+1

Well, that, a Steaksaver plus a couple of 1 pounders. ;)

Paul

I was going to ask/say the same thing. I only use one at a time. I have two. So, if one lasts a few days, I expect the other to last the same and I fill up, where I can, if I know the first is done and I'm one the second.

In my opinion the only accurate way to know how full your tank is is weight. I use a propane weight gauge calibrated to a 20# tank and have found it to be accurate. I have avoided several 3/4 tank fillups. The only downside is disconnecting the tank from the camper. Search amazon for propane weight gauge.

I have three propane tanks: 2 twenty pounders and 1 forty pound tank. All three have their empty tank weight stamped on the ring that protects the valve and provides a handle. 20# tanks are 16.6 lbs empty.

jim

Back
Top Bottom