Awning Project

Les I like your idea. I actually thought about doing just that. Pam is very fair and must use sp 3000 she has had a tiny carcenoma but she's very careful now . Does the shade cloth do a good job?
Can you sew directly to the shade cloth or do you use some sort of binding?

shade cloth=strong

Jay we bought ours at home depot,you can buy it per foot and in sand color.My shade awning is sewed with a double seam around edge,then i use brass eyelets for the posts and for the mounting points on camper as my camper bracket is off set from body of camper,i mount to bracket with 1/4-20 bolts in 4 locations.Have been using this awning for 3+ years (couple of Baja trips).Looking at your pictures the way you have support pole on outer edge should work great,the only problem i could see would be is sewing the rope (i think that is how yours attach to your camper bracket) as material could be thicker than your awning.Something to check first!

Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les, lqhikers

So, how exactly does the optional factory installed awning work? Does it need the poles staked out with rope or is it free standing? All the pictures I've seen it appears to be free standing. This back yard option looks TERRIFIC! A job well done.

So, how exactly does the optional factory installed awning work? Does it need the poles staked out with rope or is it free standing? All the pictures I've seen it appears to be free standing. This back yard option looks TERRIFIC! A job well done.

I have pictures at home I can post later.

The factory awning you use a crank to have it come out. After it is out a ways you pop out the legs that are in the leading edge and extend them down to help support the weight. Then you finish cranking it out all the way or where you want to stop. Then adjust the legs for the height needed.

As far as the legs you can use rope to keep the ends down in some amount of wind.

Optional awning photo

Turk,

Found a photo with our awning set up. This is the awning FWC was installing in 2004. I assume it has not changed. It has legs that fit inside the unit. After you extend the awning a couple of feet, you unfold the legs and drop them down. Then you finish extending the awning.

Ted

Attachments

• awning photo.jpg
    awning photo.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 607
Are those factory awnings worth the money as far as durability and ease of use? Or would a person be better off rigging up some hooks and using a tarp?

I can't believe, with all the camping I've done, that I didn't know how those types of awnings worked. Thanks so much for the information.

Another option is the Kelty Carport. Haven't field tested it on my Hawk yet, but I have set it up at home and it attaches securely with velcro to the hasps. A much cheaper option and takes minimal space and weighs next to nothing. You can fit 3 people/chairs comfortably under it. It also can handle the wind quite well.

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?terms=carport&id=151

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,88172_Kelty-Carport-Shelter-Medium.html?cm_mmc=PaidPlacement:sleep:Google:sleep:WGOGB8:sleep:Kelty_Carport_Shelter_-_(Medium)

Attachments

• conejo.jpg
    conejo.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 539
Very long day...........................But we all like pictures:thumb: 2004 FWC Eagle.

Attachments

• DSC01809.JPG
    DSC01809.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 586
  • DSC01807.JPG
    DSC01807.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 601
  • DSC01805.JPG
    DSC01805.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 599
  • DSC01804.JPG
    DSC01804.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 580
PV,
Thanks for the photos, I do like the look and function of that awning and just may considered spending the extra money when the time comes.

Just back in November I put one on my Ranger. Very simple to do. It was better to pre-drill the holes and clean out the holes on the mounting strip before hand. Then with a electric drill the zip screws went right in. For me it was a one person job and Stan included everything and instructions were very helpful.

There was a Shady Boy post a while back and they looked ok too.

Now I just need to get out and use the camper.

Shady Boy Awning

Here is a picture of the Shady Boy deployed. Haven't had it in the wind yet and I am sure I will need additional guy lines on the front poles.

Dsertrat

Attachments

• Road trip 3-12 sites truck- kayaks 005.jpg
    Road trip 3-12 sites truck- kayaks 005.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 664
Hi Dsertrat.

Awning matches the camper fabric and looks like a simple system..

I like the picture…I try to guess at times where about the pictures could be from. Would this be West on highway 12 from Bryce and it is the morning sun hitting you???

Picture Location

The picture was taken on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in the Marble Canyon section. The Vermillion Cliffs are in the background. Off of 89A close to Lee's Ferry. Early AM lighting.
There are a couple places in this area you can drive to within 50 feet of the rim on BLM land. Grand Canyon National Park lands start at the rim in this area so camping is on BLM land.
The canyon is only about 600 feet deep here but you can see upstream and down for several miles.
The Vermillion Cliffs National Monument has some very rugged terrain and great hiking off of the House Rock road.
One of my favorite areas.
Desertrat

Turk,
The "back yard awning" was an idea running around my feeble mind for about a year. I wanted something that had no legs on the ground because we camp on beaches a lot. It probably is wrong to say it has no legs. They just attach to the camper. I have the option of using the awning with the poles on the ground if needed. I can also stake it with pegs and line in the free standing mode. Because it's a triangle instead of a parallelogram it seems to be a bit more sturdy. We've used it a few times now and it holds up well in light winds. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with it. Best of all it was muy cheapo.

Here are my side and rear deployed. Shady Boy off the side, Tarp and 1/2" PVC off the back with adjustable poles. Thinking of making the rear a bit longer back.

Attachments

• DSCN0816.jpg
    DSCN0816.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 616
  • DSCN0818.jpg
    DSCN0818.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 617
Puffins,
I'm looking at creating a awning off the back as you have, but using an awning track ala Chnlisle. Where did you attach your awning? I'm considering either attaching it to the frame in between the rear latches, or to the factory rack. Not looking for a large awning, but tired off dealing with with wet entrance on rainy days.

Another option is the Kelty Carport. Haven't field tested it on my Hawk yet, but I have set it up at home and it attaches securely with velcro to the hasps. A much cheaper option and takes minimal space and weighs next to nothing. You can fit 3 people/chairs comfortably under it. It also can handle the wind quite well.

http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?terms=carport&id=151

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,88172_Kelty-Carport-Shelter-Medium.html?cm_mmc=PaidPlacement:sleep:Google:sleep:WGOGB8:sleep:Kelty_Carport_Shelter_-_(Medium)

I tested the Carport Delux Large this past week with the FWC..It worked well in up to 12 MPH of wind. VERY versitle.

$200 bucks at Sport Chalet..Very light and compact..

When I install the 3rd bar rear portion of my roof rack, I think it will give me an option off the back as well..

Attachments

• DSCN2788.jpg
    DSCN2788.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 581
  • DSCN2789.jpg
    DSCN2789.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 611
  • DSCN2790.jpg
    DSCN2790.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 576
Back
Top Bottom