Awning Recommendations

Aqualunger

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations on an awning for a Hawk camper. We are considering getting the batwing but curiuos if there are other options we should consider. Anyone have a batwing that can offer feedback? Our primary reason is just wanting some more shade when we are camping at spots that don't offer a lot of natural shade.

Thanks.

Ali-Cab awning might be a good option. They are pretty well made and hold up under wind well without having to be staked down. I do not have one but had a chance to look at them at overland expo and was impressed. You can see a build thread on here where a batwing was replaced with an Ali-Cab.

Check out Facebook - Four Wheel Campers Owners. Looks like Ali-Cab may be the most solid not requiring legs. Scroll through the posts. If you aren't a member you should. Lots of good specific FWC topics.

Hi aqualunger
Did you see the write up by Hodakaguy. He went from a batwing to the Ali-cab. He would probably answer any questions you might have.

Russ

Hi Russ, I had not seen that write up but I found it and it's great. Thanks for pointing that out and thanks to the others for the recommendations.

I have the Batwing on a Hawk. Works great and easy set up.
My only complaint is that Four Wheel Camper mounted the Batwing so it sits 3 inches above the roof when stored. I have the Hawk mounted to a 2017 F250 and the additional 3 inches means I can't fit in my 8' garage door. Without the Batwing I just sneak in the door.
Looks like I'll be mounting the brackets lower or fabricating some new brackets.

We love our batwing and I actually like the poles as they give it a more solid footprint on windy days. If a pole gets in the way of our setup the we just stow it in the away position. We’ve had it up in pretty good wind and rain as well without issue. It will collect water to a degree when its raining but you can lower the poles and get a decent slant to assist with drainage.

I haven't had a chance to try one, but fwiw, the arb awnings have the capability of being converted into rooms, if you need that sort of thing.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I haven't had a chance to try one, but fwiw, the arb awnings have the capability of being converted into rooms, if you need that sort of thing.
Forgot to mention. I have an ARB 2500 on the other side and also have the 8’x8’ room that attaches onto it. The awning is super easy to use and the room takes as along as a tent to set up. Nice for when we’re staying put for more than a day.

Hi
I have a new hawk with the Fiamma awning. I'm very satisfied with the product. I originally thought about getting a bat wing awning but decided against it because of the space required when the awning is deployed. I do a lot of camping in close proximity to trees and it would have been virtually impossible to use the bat wing. The side awning is more useful to me. However, I do miss not having a awning over the back door.

We love our Batwing Awning on our 2016 Grandby. I am one who believe that an awning should always be staked down if any high winds are expected. If you have 20 mph gusts, there might be a 25 or 30 mph gust mixed in with them. Here's what I do: I deploy the Batwing, extend the 3 legs, then slip and "S" hook over the long rivet at the end of each rafter. I then put in a 14" steel stake about 3 feet straight out from each leg. Then I hook a length of flourescent pink cord to each of the three "S" hooks and to then hook it to the hook on each stake and pull each one taught with a truckers' hitch. The whole process is very simple and pretty bombproof. I have used it deployed like this for long periods of time in Baja.

If high winds are not expected, I still deploy the legs and hang a cloth grocery bag full of rocks or sand from each rafter. Sometimes I will do both the bags and stake it down. So far it has survived two Baja trips of 2 months each where the awing is just left up all the time.

BTW I also own and older Fiamma F45 and a 30+ year old TransAwn 2000 on my trailer and my VW Vanagon. I would take the 30 year old TransAwn over the Fiamma any day. They are made now by Easy Awn of Australia.

There are also cheaper versions of the Batwing, but I recommend staying away from a lot of plastic parts in stress heavy joints.

We have a Batwing awning that came with the used Fleet FWC that we purchased last year. I haven't needed to use it most trips but it does provide a great deal of shade to the back and passenger side of the camper. Its pretty easy to set up and take down once you've done it a couple of times. On a recent trip to Trappers Lake in Colorado we got to test its capabilities as a rain awning. Its not really well designed for rain and I found that it only kept a very small area dry and rain water tended to pool along the edges. There's also a narrow gap between the awning and the camper that allows water to drip down the side of the camper further reducing the dry area.

I have the Fiamma, and wouldn't change it for anything. It is by far the quickest and easiest awning I've ever deployed or retracted in my life. It provides more than enough shade for us, seems to hold up very well in the wind, and keeps the rain off too.
Prior to placing out order, my Wife and I were 110% certain we wanted the Bat-Wing awning. After meeting with our Canadian dealer (awesome Gary!) and trying both (especially my Wife trying both) it was a no-brainer for us. The Bat-Wing would have been a real pita on our lifted truck for my Wife to deploy and retract. The Fiamma doesn't care about the height of your truck.
If we happen to be beside a tree or obstacle, or parked in a parking, or waiting in a construction./traffic line-up somewhere lot I can still partially deploy my Fiamma out the side for some shade.

Being now about to decide on an awning, possibility of traveling into sunny places, I am torn between the side awning or the 270º of either Fox or Bat wing. I can't seem to get a handle on which is the more robust and simplest to deploy. I do like the idea of a back door cover for rain exit. I have a 2011 Eagle and I am always concerned about adding weight but I also no not want to regret skimping a few pounds (just take less beer :-( ) I like the fold down legs aspect. Then there is the install.... I am handy but any time something is done for a first time there is a learning curve. Might be worth paying someone to do it that has experience.....did I really say that?!

trikebubble said:
I have the Fiamma, and wouldn't change it for anything. It is by far the quickest and easiest awning I've ever deployed or retracted in my life. It provides more than enough shade for us, seems to hold up very well in the wind, and keeps the rain off too.
Prior to placing out order, my Wife and I were 110% certain we wanted the Bat-Wing awning. After meeting with our Canadian dealer (awesome Gary!) and trying both (especially my Wife trying both) it was a no-brainer for us. The Bat-Wing would have been a real pita on our lifted truck for my Wife to deploy and retract. The Fiamma doesn't care about the height of your truck.
If we happen to be beside a tree or obstacle, or parked in a parking, or waiting in a construction./traffic line-up somewhere lot I can still partially deploy my Fiamma out the side for some shade.
I second this sentiment. The ease of use and sturdiness has far exceeded any other awning we have camped with (ours or others'). It's so simple and straightforward that my 9-yo son has that duty when we get to camp. He has the awning out and chairs setup before I'm even done popping the top. Wouldn't change it for anything.

As far as which is the more robust awning, both our 30 year old A & E Transawn 2000, and our Batwing are pretty much all metal parts. Our Fiamma F-45 on our Casita trailer has plastic parts in the hinges on the legs. I have broken the plastic hinges by pulling them too tight when staking the awning down. I also have found the Fiamma difficult to roll in straight, sometimes I have to try rolling it several times to get it to lock in, and then it's usually only the front or the back that lock in. There is a reason people use extra velcro straps on them.

camper rich said:
As far as which is the more robust awning, both our 30 year old A & E Transawn 2000, and our Batwing are pretty much all metal parts. Our Fiamma F-45 on our Casita trailer has plastic parts in the hinges on the legs. I have broken the plastic hinges by pulling them too tight when staking the awning down. I also have found the Fiamma difficult to roll in straight, sometimes I have to try rolling it several times to get it to lock in, and then it's usually only the front or the back that lock in. There is a reason people use extra velcro straps on them.
We love our Fiamma also. As to the problem of getting it to latch correctly on retracting, we have found the largest issue to be ensuring each leg is securely snapped into stored position by getting the leg foot folded correctly and pressing the pivot and leg end until they snap into the closed position. If either end of either leg is not seated in the storage position, the awning will not roll in completely. It's easy to do once that is realized and prone to failed retraction until then.

My $0.02. :)
Paul

ps. Discovering this took me longer than I care to admit. :p

See?! Everybody loves either of them depending... hmmmm either will be a step up from an $8 tarp we’ve used for 7 years .. and pretty well actually. So I am a bit sticker shocked at the price from factory for the Bat ... has anyone been able to acquire the hardware to do a DIY install? I would feel fine doing it if I have the appropriate eagle/fleet HW. It is a BIG expense so I am hem and hawing

ARB 2500 has been great for us. It has survived the Wyoming winds and we also have the awning room which basically triples our livable space. The price is surprisingly reasonable too for being an ARB product.

Back
Top Bottom