Awning Recommendations

We love our shadow awn. It’s mounted to the land cruiser (we tow our camper on a flatbed trailer) but the awning is super easy to use and quick to deploy and take down.

Stick with the tarp !

Are you trying to get out of the sun ?

Back in the days of PTO winches, they were nicknamed the most expensive hood ornament you could put on your rig...maybe that now applies to awnings ?

In my experience I need nothing more than go sit on the other side of the camper....the shady side.

YMMV

David Graves

Heard back from Colorado Rocky Mt FWC who said they would install but I can’t buy the brackets. To do my own install. It is also advised to have the extra corner bracket support down to the jack stand mount as I was told there is a 300 lb. force at that point and the typical three bracket mount would have that corner as a weak spot. I really like the awning but it may be too much effort to have it made.

I thought FWC would sell the brackets directly, but maybe that changed. But not sure which 270 degree awning those brackets are for, I have also heard there is lots of force at the hinge.

We keep going back and forth on which awning we want. Our first desire is for shade in the summer when the sun is high in the sky and the shade on the opposite side on the camper is barely large enough for a chair. Second desire is for protection from a light rain. If it was raining heavy I'd be inside, since any real wind just blows the rain sideways under most awnings.

Anyone have any experience with:

Arawak Camping 270° Car Awning with Free US Shipping

Regular price$959.99 $799.99 [SIZE=.9375em]Sale[/SIZE]

When I was at Expo East with Smblox he had an awning. Maybe a fiamma? not a 360 but still quite useful. It was raining like crazy and the awning made staying outside relatively nice.

He and his wife also deployed a cool waterproof carpet which kept the mud down. Made a huge difference in campability in my eyes. I had not thought much about an awning before but will get one with the camper when I order it.

BTW eating her amazing cooking under the protection of the awning was also way cool:) My trip was so much better because of my WTW friends:)

The Rhino Rack Batwing is currently $629 on etrailer.com. If I remember correctly, I paid around $595 with a discount and free shipping. They often offer a discount to new customers. I’ve had very good service from them. Might want to check them out and my posts/review regarding the awning.

So ... Rhino Batwing is not same as FWC South Africa Batwing? Still waiting on FWC to respond about hardware

Rhino Rack is Australian. I know, no real rhinos on that continent but whatever...they make the Batwing 270 awning. I have this model.

Eezi-Awn is South African, closer to real rhinos. They make the Bat 270 awning. I believe this is the one offered by FWC.

Are you as confused as I am yet?

Thanks for the clarification... FWC sells the Eezi. Is there a big quality difference between them ? The Alu-cap seems the sturdiest but still have to Finns a welder who can make the mounts and the rear support that goes to the jack stand mount. Nothing is ever straightforward but if I can find some schematics of size/shape for mounts I will go with Alu-cap or if that fails A batwing I can buy mounts for.

IMHO, having used awnings on all my campers since 1986, and having made trips to Baja since 1992, I am skeptical of the idea that you don't need to stake down an awning. Sooner or later a wind gust that you weren't expecting will hit you and turn your awning into a damaged awning.

I believe this is more informative. There are guy wires if you need them :) I saw one at Expo East and it was impressive:)

“Thanks for the clarification... FWC sells the Eezi. Is there a big quality difference between them ?”
I own the Rhino Rack Batwing. It uses aluminum tubing and connects to the main hinge pin with Delrin connectors. I have broken several of those connectors but they are easily replaced, I now carry spares. Deployed without using the vertical support poles, my Batwing sags when extended...you must use the poles. The Eezi Awn Bat uses rectangular aluminum tubing and has integral aluminum connectors with the hinge pin. This is a much stronger connection. Deployed without using the vertical support poles this awning does not sag. Reference the photo of the BunduAwn.

“I am skeptical of the idea that you don't need to stake down an awning. Sooner or later a wind gust that you weren't expecting will hit you and turn your awning into a damaged awning. “
Indeed! This is exactly what happened to me on the Mojave Rd. My Batwing “oragamied” and snapped two of the Delrin connectors, easily repaired later (I could have, and should have, attempted a field repair). While stronger due to the integral aluminum connectors and therefore sturdier under mild conditions, I can’t imagine repairing an EeziAwn Bat, let alone a field repair, would be easy. But that’s pure speculation on my part.

And then, of course, there is the difference in purchase price. I have taken a look at all three awnings and the Bat and AluCab are very nice pieces of equipment, well built. I bought my Batwing based on the lower price point and am happy with my purchase.

Appreciate the comparison. I am sure to tie down if I got a Eezi batwing. One of the small reasons I like the Ali-cab is I have a dog on our trips and she would be on a long line secured to tree or bumper. She is an expert in driving me nuts wrapping her rope around my tarp poles and basically causing havoc.... the Alu-cab looks sturdy enough on a low wind day to not use poles.

We have the ARB side awning on a Fleet. We camped over 3 months last year through the West and Northwest and I was surprised we deployed the awning maybe only 10 times total. If it was too sunny we often just move our chairs to the other side of the camper. The tall camper casts a long shadow. Deploying in high winds takes two people and a bit of skill and finesse. And putting a wet awning away, in the rain, was never pleasant. Sometimes it just didn't seem worth it. I suggest waiting on the awning decision until after you've taken a decent trip. You might decide it's not necessary.

My two month trip last year from New England to Alaska across the Yukon was a good test. I like to sit outside even when it is raining and I do like to have a tarp off the back door so there isn't a muddy area coming and going. Also good to have the dog outside on rainy days. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. It is always helpful to bounce things around so as to be sure I thought it all through. That's such a great thing about WTW... our very own think tank!

Thought I would post this in case someone is still looking for mounts for the Eezi Batwing. I recently sold my batwing awning but the buyer did not need the mounts. Anyone looking for a set, can contact me via PM. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom