Awning Thoughts?

Just installed 10' of awning track on the passenger side of the camper. http://www.morseindustries.com/A52-1276.cfm Similar to the stuff on the link. Canvas shop is sewing a custom awning with extra grommets for me. I should have about $150 invested when finished, going to use my old telescopic tent poles to save a few bucks.

Longtime FWC owner, bought a 2000 Hawk (w/ side awning) in 2004, just sold it, planning to order a new Hawk in the next week or so. We will definitely be ordering the side awning on the new Hawk. I never used the awning the first few years I had the 2000 Hawk, but we first tried it a couple years ago and immediately were sold. Now we routinely pack a couple of camp chairs to hang outside under the awning. I'm a DIY guy with lots of sewing experience and could easily make one, but the pullout design is very convenient and quick to set up and decamp. So, yup, we'll be getting an awning on our new Hawk. YMMV

Hobart78 said:
I get my Hawk 6/3 at FWC in Woodland. I got the side awning based from being around other rv's with an awning. I like the idea of having the shade or an outside venue for mealtimes. I'm an rv rookie for sure.
Congrats. I bet tuesday can't get here fast enough. I just toured the factory and bet yours was on the line. Have fun and as always…. post pictures.

On this I had a good summer thunderstorm come through. Since I don't usually have the awning deployed I didn't even think about it until afterwards. It handled it just fine.

But I use it mostly for shade.

Quote:
Prolly cause folks don't know (or understand the concept) of drying it out to avoid mildew and the like after it gets wet. You're forced to learn this stuff in northern tier environments!

Don't I know it. I'm not sure I have ever come back with dry gear from a camping trip. Awning was a no brainer for me.

I definitely want a Fiamma F35. Heck I wanted one on my flippac too. I have tried two types of rigging one myself but as others have said the ease of use just makes sense. I have friends that have them and they are very nice. The ones I've rigged blow all over the place in strong desert winds. In the desert shade is important.

My side awning drives me crazy because it rattles so loud while driving on dirt roads. No one else has mentioned this problem so not sure if I have a lemon. Four wheel pop up has checked it once and now I have an appt to take them on a drive so they can hear my complaint. If the noise is the norm, I would never recommend an awning.

Nope-never had that problem with mine-my biggest fear was having the dang thing becoming unhooked and shooting out from the side of the truck as I was driving down the road :unsure:-now that's a problem!

Smoke

Mines bolted on, its not coming off. It doesn't rattle but if it did I think it would be a relatively simple matter to stuff something in there to keep it quiet.

My carefree brand awning does not rattle or make any noise. I bolted the brackets to the side of my truck that the support arms go into. Makes it a lot more stable in wind and quicker to setup. Ill have to post a picture.

This is what happens when you get about 50 mph winds directly on the side of a RV. At times, we were down to 30 mph on the freeway. We were in South Dakota with our first Airstream...

Awning_DSC6799.jpg

Mine came with a Fiamma that looks to have been installed by FWC. It's 11 years old and in really good shape still. I have used it on every trip so far and would not buy another camper without one. No rattles and it stays rolled up on washboards. Super easy to set up and put away, much easier than the EZ-Up I used to lug around, and it takes up zero camper space. It is also much more wind tolerant than the Ez-Up. A must-have in my opinion. I seem to always want solid shade and outdoor rain protection when in camp...like having a covered patio at home.

We debated because it is expensive. Our age (68 then over 70 now) was the deciding factor
to purchase it. Camping "ain't" going to get any easier as we get older. Awning is much easier to deploy than the "tarps" we used when younger.

For the young folks, you can always sit on the shady side unless its 12 noon in June-August. Raise the top you have even more shade

We don't use our side awning much, but when we do we're very glad we have it (we camp mostly in SW deserts where there's very little natural shade). I don't like the new 4wc rear awning design, and the picture by 4llamas has given me inspiration.

oldtbone said:
We don't use our side awning much, but when we do we're very glad we have it (we camp mostly in SW deserts where there's very little natural shade). I don't like the new 4wc rear awning design, and the picture by 4llamas has given me inspiration.
I don't care for their awning either. That's why I have made a pull out one that takes about 5 seconds to set up and it doesn't have to be stored. It's right there above the door mounted on the end wall of the camper.
Frank

oldtbone said:
I look forward to seeing your improvements. I've thought about milling some slots in the parts that rise so I don't have to completely remove the bolts to extend them. If I do that I'll probably replace the aluminum parts with steel.

Back
Top Bottom