Awnings

Thanks you guys. We'll get through this. It will be a long haul though. I've been going out to D.V. backcountry almost 25 years (1/2 my life). I've had my daughter, Maya, out in the desert several times, but this trip we'll be going to see some of dads favorite places. She's a total desert rat and will have a great time. The dog is named Ruby (maya named her) and she's 3/4 australian shepherd and 1/4 border collie. I won't be taking her(the dog) on this trip as there are too many restrictions in Death Valley. I'd like to see her chase the ravens and and play with the coyotes, but them boys in Death Valley have rules about dogs and leashes. I'll take her out to East Mohave next year. I'm just kidding about playing with the coyotes. She'd protect us alright, but she'd probably jump into the camper with her tail between her legs if she saw a coyote loping around.
Thanks Again,
Hayduke

Coyotes...

Hayduke,
You have a beautiful daughter and your dog looks like a good one. When we were in DV last fall, there were dire coyote warnings at Furnace Creek CG and since we have been going there for many years and they always have warnings, thought nothing of it. We were hiking with our dog out on the mud flats by the golf course and were actually stalked by two huge coyotes and they came within 50 feet and would not be scared off. My dog about had a fit. Actually so did I.
Brian

Steve,

My closest camping buddy Gene Rubin got me started with The Monkey Wrench Gang. Since then I 've read them all mostly on camping trips to the southwest and the "Lake Foul" 4 Corners area (along with Tony Hillerman).

Gene's the guy that got me camping in Laguna San Ignacio and Baja as well as Saline. My guess is with all of your D.V. roamings you 2 have crossed paths at the "Geologist Cabin" or the like.

You would know us all from the impromtu campfire blue grass (I play very limited very bad guitar)jams.

D.V. is a great place for kids and Austrlian Sheapards. I hope to hook up with you sometime. We are leaving for Tucson Sunday to find a house or I'd be loading the FWC up now for a trip to the desert.

Have fun on your trip I know you'll be thinking about tour wifes mom but try to enjoy the beauty of the Valley.

Jay

I sure hope they aren't too hard on dogs. Mine goes almost everywhere with me (exceptions are one trip where dogs are banned) but he's getting too old for the hard core jeeping now. I wish I had some pics from the Dusy/Ershim trail. Thirty miles long and we had five vehicles and only one dog along so he ran most of it. I think he did about 90 miles.
Lost my camera on the way home.

Background-Dusy goes between two wilderness areas in the Sierras above Fresno, CA from about 8000' to just over 10,000'. We spent three nights on the trail though it can be done with less. No way would a full size rig make it.

Craig333,
Nice to hear from someone else that enjoys the Dusy trail. I've been running it for about 30 years now and still enjoy the challenge. Thompson hill seems to change every year - usually not for the better.
Have you tried any of the other trails in the area? I think I like Swamp Lake trail the best. It's challenging enough to be fun but can be easily run in a weekend. Coyote Lake has some of the best camping after mosquito season. Maybe we'll cross paths someday.

Thanks again guys. I look forward to meeting folks out there. In all my travels, I have never seen a FWC owner in the DV backcountry. Must just be coincidence, as I see more and more of them on the road.
My dates to be out are 4/20 to 4/28. Sounds likle Chnlisle might be moving?
Brian, what was your impression about dog&leash regulations in Death Valley. I have been hearing that there is no tolerance to dogs off leashes. I'd rather leave that pooch home than keep her tethered out there. I know you gotta be careful w/ dogs and wildlife, but Ruby is a smart one and will not run off if she's told to stay. That encounter with the coyotes must have been wild.
The Grandstand at the racetrack is a good place to watch for coyotes and caw at the ravens...

Attachments

• Bro & Zwag SeptOct Trip 268.jpg
    Bro & Zwag SeptOct Trip 268.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 296
ooops, that was supposed to be me on the top of the grandstand. I'm a Mac user. Can't figure out this damned microsoft windows thing, being that's what we have at work.

Steve,
We're headed to Tucson Wed. to look at homes. We want 2 or more acres. Its close to places we love although it will be a trek to D.V. or Saline.
Jay

Dusy is a pretty good trek from where I am. I wish I could afford to head that way more often.

Chnlisle, where are you moving from? We live near Santa Cruz, actually in Aptos on the central coast of California and I'm trying to convince my wife that I should retire early, sell our house and move to the Nevada City area near Truckee. Seems like it would be a nice place to live. Mountains, close to the East side and desert. I'll have to wait to see how it goes. I've always liked the Tucson area. Price of housing sure is reasonable compared to here. Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.
G.W.H.

Hey Chnlisle, about Laguna San Igancio...

It has been several years since we have been to Baja and we are getting the itch. At Scammons Lagoon we got within 10' of the Ballenas, but did not get an opportunity to pet any. When we do go back, it will be to Laguna San Ignacio to see the friendlies. What is the camping like there? Is it like Scammons where you park on any spot that suits you or more like Bahia Conception with actual spots and somebody occasionally comes around and collects five or 10 bucks?

Hmmm, maybe this would be a good Wander the West members caravan???

Ted

Laguna San Ignacio....

Ted, When we were there in 1999-2000, we camped in San Ignacio at a campground behind a little restaurant. We got together with the folks in the campground and about a half dozen folks hired a van to take us out to the lagoon and out in a boat. The whole trip was about $20 a person which included a great meal in the boat operators family house.
The folks are Antonio's Whale Tours, Antonio Aguilar Osuna, at Campo Fridera on the Laguna.
We were the only boat there in a much smaller laguna than Scammons and were able to sport around with several whales that would go right under the boat and surface right next to it.
I mention this since at that time the road out to the lagoon was so bad that it was totally worth it to let the driver use his van......all of us were glad we did that. A guy could drive out and camp there for little or nothing and still take Antonios boat. That trip was in a tiny Suzuki Samurai and tent and it was one little rough-riding son-of-a-gun....I had a complete aftermarket suspension on it and it would go absolutely anywhere and it did but it would shake your teeth out doing it.
Happy Trails,
Brian

Steve

I retired from LAUSD a couple of years ago. We sold a large beach house for an obscene amount and bought a 1000 sq ft place accross the street from the one we sold. We just sold it(escrow closes in 35 days)again for .... well its the beach and California so you get the picture.

Like your daughter we're desert rats even though I grew up sufing in SoCal. Pam is from Balboa Isl. and grew up all over Latin America. Spanish is her first language but she looks like an Orange County girl. So its always fun to travel south with her. She gets a great reception. Anyway we love the southwest and Mexico.

We're not cold weather fans at all. This will be our chance to have some acreage with a desert landscape and Tucson real Estate is affordable.

Jay

Ted & Brian

Our first trip to Laguna San Ignacio was life altering. We were the only panga on the lagoon. Chema, our boat guy lived there in the Ejido and he spent 6 hours with us on the water that day. It was almost a religious experience with the cows bring the calfs up to the boat and letting us pet them.

I think we should put together a caravan. We have a year to do it. Next Feb would be perfect. I prefer San Ignacio to Scammons because of the isolation and its a great place to camp. We might be a tad busy over the next few months but we always have time to go to Baja.

Jay

Baja.....

Man I like that idea. I am not sure if we will be in the country then but if we are, count us in. That would be awesome. Our plans at the moment are for Thailand and possibly Vietnam in January, possibly Feb. so we'll see. I have never been to either country although I was on a Guided missile Frigate on Yankee Station in the Tonkin Gulf during the Vietnam War. A former Marine friend of ours, Vietnam combat vet and gungho traveling companion may want to go back for a visit and there is nothing more I would like to do than to go back with him for some healing for us both. More will be revealed, methinks....
Brian

Brian,
Small world. Pam and I hope to go to Viet Nam next year as well. It is a beautiful country with wonderful people. Its been almost 40 years since I was there and things were a bit different but I have always wanted to return. I know some who have and loved it.
Jay

Vietnam trip...

Jay,
Welcome home brother. Who knows? Maybe we will be there at the same time. I would like very much to do some riding there....have you read "Sparring with Charlie", Motorbiking Down the Ho Chi Minh trail...about a young lad who was of the next generation and was very curious about Vietnam? Interesting book and it makes me want to do a little riding there.
Brian

Even though I can't make it this trip thing sounds really interesting and I would like to. However, this thread was about awnings. If someone were to search for the type of information we're now talking about they might not find it. I suggest we start a new thread about traveling to Baja, or wherever. 2cents worth

Off and running...

Kilroy...yep you're right...there is about four different subjects going on here. Only one is about awnings.....how about them Shady Boys! ;^) At the risk of adding another subject, I am leaving for a weeklong moto trip along the Mogollon Rim in Arizona in pursuit of the Zane Grey story. Will be back next week and will catch up on you all. I hate to miss a day.....this has become my favorite group.
Brian

With any luck tommorrow, I'll get my camper on my truck, away from that aforementioned fence and take some overdue photos of the shady boy awning. I've been out of town for the last 6 days. Haven't seen my wife for 1 1/2 weeks. Her mother is in bad shape and may die in a matter of days or weeks, so I have my daughter and assoc duties. I've been taking a lot of time off work, tommorrow being one of those days, so I hope to steer this thread back towards awnings by then, not that I don't enjoy the current content. My appologies for not getting pictures posted by now, being that I started this post. I'll keep you "posted".
Hayduke

Back
Top Bottom