Back-up Camera Thread

81voD63T9NL._SL1500_.jpg

I ordered one of these 7 pin connector Blazer backup lights off Amazon. I'll be using it in a about a week for the first time. Not exactly a backup camera, but at least I will now have light behind me when backing up. They are going for $14.25 USD on Amazon right now.

You can run them in utility mode or backup mode. In utility mode the light is on when the headlights are on. In backup mode, the light only turns on when the reverse lights are on.

I usually back into my camp sight every night after dark as we usually go watch the sunset, so I'm hoping it will come in handy. I don't have backup lights on my Hawk.

http://www.amazon.com/Blazer-C8020-Back-Up-Utility-Light/dp/B000OOMQDG

Icansmelldiesel said:
I received and installed it yesterday.

After removing my tailgate with the stock camera, the adapter connections clicked into place. But the camera did not work. I just got an error message on my screen.

I contacted camera source and they're going to send me a replacement tomorrow.

I'll keep you updated. But the preliminary results are not good.
Got the replacement in two days, still didn't work. Contacted Scott at camera source, he was very stumped. He offered to send me the commercial version (https://camera-source.com/ford-truck-salt-spreader-camper-camera-kit.html)

I received it 2 days later, and it works! The commercial version costs $50 more, but the quality seems way more durable. Thicker wires, better connections, and heavy duty mounting bracket. Not sure why the first two didn't work, but happy with the end result.

Getting a 2016 Colorado and want to install a camera (leaving the one in the tailgate) underneath as shown in this great string. Has anyone done this with the Colorado? Want to be sure the camera is compatible. I found this on Ebay.... seems like the right one?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 9.00.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 9.00.00 AM.png
    450.3 KB · Views: 255
I have had a reverse camera mounted on the camper bumper which works fine for backing up. Now however we are set up to tow the wife's new Jeep behind us for areas that we want to base camp and explore via 4x4. Towing the Jeep behind the truck/camper, you don't know it's there - which is the problem. Can't see except for some peak a boos around corners, so I decided to come up with way to install a rearview monitor. Being cheap, I got something off of eBay (we'll see how long it lasts). Originally was going to try wireless, but you still have to power the camera, and being eBay, direct from China, they didn't send the wireless modules that were supposed to be in the kit.

There is a clip on monitor that is hardwired into the cab (it can disconnect at the mirror)

Then ran cables back to the back of the truck into a small Pelican box I mounted to provide some protection for the connections

Then ran cables down from the camper itself in some molding to make it nice and clean, and split loom everywhere else.

The camera is mounted on the roof with a service loop so it can raise and lower and tuck into the canvas. I took a very small screw and attached it into the pop-rivet for the elastic that pulls the top in when lowering.

Hardest part was figuring out the correct lengths for the composite video cables, then running from the back of the truck into the cab (while I'm getting pretty good at it, sure isn't that much fun anymore). I put double wall heat shrink over any "permanent video connections to help hold in place and keep moisture out (had to piece together a couple of cables to get from cab to back of truck - ~35' because of the route)

Gives me decent view of what's going on while hitched up...

I too wanted a rear camera so I could see my little utility trailer which disappears behind my camper but I went the wireless route. I purchased the Peak wireless from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W6LGGS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I wanted it to be always on. I wired it to a 12v cigarette plug. plugged it in inside the camper, and mounted the camera between the screen door and the outside door.

So, I now have an always on rear camera that is completely protected from the weather.

I've got a rear camera from Camera Source that fits a 2012 F150 or F350 (possibly others) if anyone is interested. I'll make you a good deal on it.

Here was my solution. I have a newer Garmin Nuvi (2400 series) that is capable of linking via Bluetooth to a Garmin BC130 wireless backup camera. I installed it on my FWC Hawk because I don't need it when the camper is not on the truck. The camera unit is wired to the reverse light and connected via SAE power cables so it can be quickly hooked up when I load the camper on the truck. The camera is protected by a simple 1.5" pipe clamp. It works well.ImageUploadedByWander The West1467308290.283488.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1467308305.820538.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1467308326.340453.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1467308350.042339.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

dakozicki said:
Here was my solution. I have a newer Garmin Nuvi (2400 series) that is capable of linking via Bluetooth to a Garmin BC130 wireless backup camera. I installed it on my FWC Hawk because I don't need it when the camper is not on the truck. The camera unit is wired to the reverse light and connected via SAE power cables so it can be quickly hooked up when I load the camper on the truck. The camera is protected by a simple 1.5" pipe clamp. It works well.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1467308290.283488.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1467308305.820538.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1467308326.340453.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1467308350.042339.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West
Any pics of the b/u image on the Garmin ?

Thanks !

I've had my commercial camera from camera source for months (see previous posts in this thread). I've been too lazy to set it up, but decided I better get it mounted before our trip this weekend.

I mounted it to a piece of wood, then simply attached that piece to the underside of the camper with two screws.

There's even a nice hole in the truck to run the wire. Connects to my trucks factory display and work great.

IMG_20160831_151349100_crop_809x600.jpg

Coming in late to this thread... (a year?) but considering this. One thing about positioning a new camera where most people are mounting them is that if you put/tow/etc. a rack or car behind you, it's not very useful. Maybe with a bike rack you'd still get some view if it was offset from the center a bit.

I was going to move my camera just off to the side of the license plate so that the centerline of bikes wouldn't be in the way. I guess I'll test it before permanently hooking it up.

I like the high mounted idea but don't like all the extra wiring. Down low below the rack might work but wonder about usefulness. So many questions, so little time :).

My 2004 Six Pac T100 S hard-side has a low mounted window in the camper entry door. I can see directly behind me with my trucks rear view mirror, so no camera needed. I wonder why the camper mfg. stopped installing these very handy low mount windows? I will have to address this issue with my soon to own ATC Bobcat. Maybe I can get Marty to install a low mount window in the door?
Solinski

Just got a pyle 7200 for Christmas. Hard wired. The dent in my bumper is proof enough I need one. Towing the Jeep occasionally I think I want to mount it up high (if there's enough cable) but is there a downside to mounting it up high besides having to disconnect when the camper comes off? If there's enough cable I think I'll get some two sided tape and try some different locations before permanently mounting the camera.

The primary disadvantage I see is the need to put some kind of cap on both the camper side of the harness and the truck side of the harness when removing the camper. This is so that neither connector gets filled with dust, mud, or corrosion that could keep the units from either being plugged together or getting the contacts fouled so badly that electrical contact is impaired when the camper goes back on the truck.

My Tundra came with such caps in the glove box with dire warning to use them when removing the tailgate.

Paul

.ps. Place some objects behind your truck in strategic places to mark the corners of the viewing area with the original set up. That way when you try new locations for mounting the camera, you can verify you are getting a reasonably similar result. Might shorten the error part of trial and error.

Turned out I barely had enough cable to use the traditional above the license plate mounting spot so that'll just have to do.

My Garmin DriveSmart 50 navigator works with the Garmin BC 30 wireless back-up camera. The camera is mounted inside the camper between the upper part of the rear door window and the screen. There's very little road spray deposit in that position and it's all nice & dry, which is a consideration here in Orygun. It's powered by a cigarette lighter plug in the camper. Like some others the always on option works best for me.

SCUD said:
My Garmin DriveSmart 50 navigator works with the Garmin BC 30 wireless back-up camera. The camera is mounted inside the camper between the upper part of the rear door window and the screen. There's very little road spray deposit in that position and it's all nice & dry, which is a consideration here in Orygun. It's powered by a cigarette lighter plug in the camper. Like some others the always on option works best for me.
Hey SCUD, im looking to do the same set up as you with the Garmin. When you plud directly into the 12V lighter in the camper, did you also need to go into the brake power at all? Is the cord long enough to reach the 12V plug in?

When it's plugged into the 12V does that run the camera full, meaning you can see behind at all times? Is there anything special I need to do when plugging in?

Thanks for the help.
Bryce.

FYI: I bought this one on Amazon:

Backup Camera and Monitor Kit For Car,Universal Waterproof Rear-view License Plate Car Rear Backup Camera + 4.3 LCD Rear View Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QTGXYIE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_5MKybj4fY7ACg

It's not horrible but I wouldn't buy it again. The camera is not wide enough to get an effective view. All it's really good for is just double checking if there is something behind you. It's not really going to help you actually park. It was also pretty cloudy everywhere but the middle of the image from day 1.

I'll probably buy another camera and use the existing monitor and wiring. I think if I get a different camera I'll be in good shape

Hello

Has anyone used this site? They offer a variety of wired, wireless cameras for "RV" applications. tadibrothers.com

I read a interview over on truckcampermagzine.com of a alaskan camper owner who was using a split screen and multiple cameras to monitor is perimeter and his LCD split screen and "ice cube" cameras looks somewhat like what those guys sell.

Terence

birdiebryce said:
Hey SCUD, im looking to do the same set up as you with the Garmin. When you plud directly into the 12V lighter in the camper, did you also need to go into the brake power at all? Is the cord long enough to reach the 12V plug in?

When it's plugged into the 12V does that run the camera full, meaning you can see behind at all times? Is there anything special I need to do when plugging in?

Thanks for the help.
Bryce.
I have used the Garmin wireless cam solution on my camper. The camera end only requires 12V. The display end is manually selected when you want and can display full time if you like. I imagine it is possible to wire the transmitter to reverse lead in your RV trailer connector and I think the Garmin will auto switch to a newly powered up camera, and switch back to you map when you power it off (leave Reverse).

For my new camper I have decided to use a Camera source OEM surface mount tailgate replacement solution. The blank console screen bugs me every time I go into reverse. Ordered it with a 10ft cord in case I want to mount it up high later.

For my 2016 Ford F150 with manual lowering tailgate, I was able to determine the manufacturer part number of the connector and crimp pins and they are available at Mouser. I was looking at wiring my Garmin camera power into the OEM tailgate connector. Could also just get the crimp pins and use the dust cover plug supplied with every truck, also easily found on eBay. I suspect I could wire the BC30 camera into the OEM connector for both power and video and it would likely work but I have run out of time so went the easy way and spent the $$ on the Camera Source solution. Can add the Garmin to the front of the truck or up high inside the rear door window maybe.

Back
Top Bottom