Back up camera

The Saints

well i'm looking for a back up camera. i have no idea which one to get but i will take your advice or thoughts. i am going to have it where the signal goes to my rearview mirror.
here is the other question. since i never use the rear view mirror, how bad would it be to just leave the camera on. then it would be acting like a rear view mirror again. or i could use a toggle switch in case someone really likes the smell of my rear, i could just turn it off before getting too mad. or i could just hook it up to my back up lights and have it only come on while in reverse.
any opinions? (oh boy, what a question that was)

my wife and i installed both a license plate mounted backup camera on our tow rig (07 TACO TRD 4x4 AccessCab) and a remote/wireless backup camera on a 17' trailer. What we found is both cameras were negatively affected by simple things such as angle of sun, rain, fog, and temperature. These cameras were the basic ones you see on the net for under $100. I'm not sure how the high end ones are you find on class A's ...but... i would not _replace_ my rear view mirror with a camera of the type i had. IMO there is not enough quality information on the monitor to do the job.

That said, i will be mounting a license plate cam and mounting the small monitor next to the rear view mirror like we did in the TACO so we can see below the blind spot out the rear of the van below the door's windows.

The backup camera I had was mounted to the rear of my camper, it was a wireless remote, had it set up where it stayed on the camper, wired a switch just inside the door, to turn it off and on, then the monitor stayed in the truck, I left it on when going down the road so could see my boat trailer better when towing it because it was narrower then the camper,I could als keep eye on trailer tires as well that way, in case one blew out, and it also helped with backing up, but no major deal because can use my mirrors just fine. The cam was effected by sunlight, and radio interferace at times, think it lasted about two year before it gave up the ghost, but it was a cheapy at about $60. Still looking for another affordable one but thinking of hard wired one this time.

Well, here is the deal. My camper was put on at the factory when I bought it. It has NEVER come off, and wont, unless i have to take it off for maintenance on the truck or camper. Currently when I look in my rear view mirror, all I see ever, is the front of my camper as you all know. So something is better then nothing. I have taken to turning the mirror towards myself so I can see how handsome I am while driving, but feel that is counterintuitive. So I decided I need a camera. I do know how the sun can effect a camera due to the one in our Prius. I will get one that is wired (I don't want a wireless) and be just fine.
Thanks

Well, here is the deal. My camper was put on at the factory when I bought it. It has NEVER come off, and wont, unless i have to take it off for maintenance on the truck or camper. Currently when I look in my rear view mirror, all I see ever, is the front of my camper as you all know. So something is better then nothing. I have taken to turning the mirror towards myself so I can see how handsome I am while driving, but feel that is counterintuitive. So I decided I need a camera. I do know how the sun can effect a camera due to the one in our Prius. I will get one that is wired (I don't want a wireless) and be just fine.
Thanks

I'm curious - which camera option did you go with? How is it performing?

Back
Top Bottom