Back up cameras, any use?

Barko1

I have a terrible time seeing what's behind me, F250 Granby with the small mirrors. Should I go with bigger mirrors or would a rear back up camera do the job. Sam's sells a 7" color for around $240. Any experience or feedback?

I have a terrible time seeing what's behind me, F250 Granby with the small mirrors. Should I go with bigger mirrors or would a rear back up camera do the job. Sam's sells a 7" color for around $240. Any experience or feedback?

Hi Barko. I don't have experience with backup cameras, sorry. I also wanted a better view behind the camper when driving, but my budget constrained me to the CIPA slide on tow mirrors. IMHO, they are the best of the add-on "cheapies". You may only need the driver's side mirror. But, they might not be available, depending on the year of your F250.

http://www.etrailer....icleid=19994776

Pros: Excellent price, have stayed in place over some bumpy backroads, easy to mount and remove
Cons: Image vibration, will probably break if a branch snags 'em

i got one from kmart for $99. it works good. i never mounted it....
it mounts on the license plate bolts....has a little eyeball color camera.

i send the wife around to look if there are trees...and I use the big ford mirrors.

big mirrors are better.

in parking lots its no use. in the woods, the stumps and such in "tight spots" i need a spotter.

i'll sell ya mine

I helped a friend hide his camera behind his license plate frame, making a stealth camera looking through a tiny hole. My buddy is addicted to his. I hate to get one because I might get hooked too. When I back up, I need to use a human spotter.

My daughter is my spotter, but she is really bad at it and it can lead to friction so I often jump out and take a good look. I may start with those cipa mirrors and see how much that helps. Last week in my journey to Oregon we were at Diamond Lake just North of Crater Lake and I watched a couple back their popup tent trailer into the spot next to me. She jumped out, practically ran into position and started giving precise feedback to hubby with almost military precision :LOL: That looked good to me but later I watched her obsess out making sure the thing was level, 1/4 turn on the crank, double check and another 1/8 of a turn, etc, etc. Maybe being your own spotter has its' benefits!

My daughter is my spotter, but she is really bad at it and it can lead to friction so I often jump out and take a good look. I may start with those cipa mirrors and see how much that helps. Last week in my journey to Oregon we were at Diamond Lake just North of Crater Lake and I watched a couple back their popup tent trailer into the spot next to me. She jumped out, practically ran into position and started giving precise feedback to hubby with almost military precision :LOL: That looked good to me but later I watched her obsess out making sure the thing was level, 1/4 turn on the crank, double check and another 1/8 of a turn, etc, etc. Maybe being your own spotter has its' benefits!
[/quote

Invaluable, I would be in and out of the truck 10 times trying to catch my hitch, and it's takes the worry out of backing up with dogs and kids around, mine is in the licence plate frame attached with some pretty trick hardware to prevent somebody borrowing it. Lousy picture, sorry.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 163
I don't have one mounted on the truck... yet. I have gotten used to having it on the Flex though and have added it to my list of future mods. I like the idea of it for backing in general, especially with the camper. I think it would be great for using to hook up a trailer as well.

[/quote

Invaluable, I would be in and out of the truck 10 times trying to catch my hitch, and it's takes the worry out of backing up with dogs and kids around, mine is in the licence plate frame attached with some pretty trick hardware to prevent somebody borrowing it. Lousy picture, sorry.
[/quote]

I usually am out several times trying to line up the hitch. What brand is that? Any special features to look for. Screen size?

I recently got the same camera Fisherman is using. I justified it because of the ease and lack of frustration when hooking up the car hauler. It is also a great help in the parking lot.
For the road I installed a set of CIPA replacement mirrors. They are power / heated and much larger than the stock Dodge mirrors. I haven't had any vibration problems with them.

[/quote

I usually am out several times trying to line up the hitch. What brand is that? Any special features to look for. Screen size?
[/quote]

Barko, I can't remember the brand of camera, I'll check through my paper work and find out, my truck has a Nav. system so I use that screen, 7.5 in. color, sweet. By the way the lifting panel job was a real bitch for some reason, their in but it took me 2 days to do both, never again.

By the way the lifting panel job was a real bitch for some reason, their in but it took me 2 days to do both, never again.

Sorry about the panel, at least it justifies my stopping by Sac to get it done :D I'd also like that new Ford smoker but $50,000 when my 11 year old runs fine just doesn't make sense. Time to go out and change the coolant and trans fluid.

I may add a camera to the list. Nothing like getting out and looking behind you but sometimes thats just not practical. And being solo most of the time having a spotter is wishful thinking (the dog just refuses to spot for me).

Barko1,

The camera system I'm using is from a company called BOYO. It looks like the same camera shown in Jon's picture. I got the system with the monitor built into the rear view mirror but if I was to do it again I think I would get a separate monitor. I found the best prices on e-bay.

Back
Top Bottom