Backcountry Skiing - February 2016

Schweet! Nice columnar jointing in the granite at the summit!

And another fine TR, too. Thanks!

Foy

Looks great up there! I've got a day trip planned weekend after next - might hit the same route. I volunteered a few seasons back to help hammer up the blue diamonds on those trails - great group of folks.

Thanks Ski.It's been several years since we have been out on our"3 pins"
Lots of reasons but the snow condition is one.
When we were skiing the good years we got spoiled on the nice fresh snow and cool days.
To us it's not fun to ski on the warm,slushy days.
But liked your report. For us a ski trip would have a need for a long travel.
Hope you get more good snow trips and post them.
Frank

Thanks all for the nice comments! It is so nice to have a winter again! :)

Foy said:
Schweet! Nice columnar jointing in the granite at the summit!

And another fine TR, too. Thanks!

Foy
Foy, columnar basalt on Brown Mountain. Although close to a busy area in summer, Brown Mountain is hard to get to in the summer but relatively easy in the winter when snow covers all the brush. It is one three outcroppings like this that I'm aware of it the area. Another small one is a few miles to the southwest. The largest and easiest to reach (no maintained trail) is off of highway 88 in the Silver Lake area. We have been out there several times and it is definitely a cool spot to visit. Called Machado Postpile, it shows up very well on Google Earth in a sea of light colored granite -

38°38'54.45"N 120°05'11.80"W

I found this trip report on the web - Ted's Outdoor World

along with a write up on the history - Machado Postpile History

I'll have to dig though my photo files to see if I can find a photo of a smaller, very interesting formation I found many years ago.

Here's to rocks!

Well, that wasn't too hard to find. The trip to this spot (not one of three mentioned above) is brutal and two days to reach.

gallery_1902_252_320531.jpg

gallery_1902_252_226526.jpg

Ski, you've done it to me again. I'm supposed to be working, but I'm 'net surfing for for information about yet another piece of spectacular California geology instead. And adding to an already too long list of places to see if I can ever get out that way for a field trip.

Your mention of, and my general awareness of, the extensive (!) granites of the Sierra had me assuming the jointed outcrop at Brown Mountain was a jointed granite, and I did not bother to see if there are any basalts or diabase occurences. Of course there are (and I wonder if the place name Brown Mountain has significance here?). We find columnar jointing rather more often in basalts than in other igneous intrusive or extrusive rocks. The Palisades of New Jersey and New York are jointed basalt flows/shallow sills of Triassic age, and we have some Precambrian and Cambrian basalts in the core of the Blue Ridge Mountains in which joint structures and some "pillow" structures have survived regional metamorphism and multiple episodes of folding (Catoctin greenstones and basalts and diabases of the Grandfather Mountain Formation, among other horizons of Late Precambrian/Cambrian age). Your picture of the smaller outcrop with the arcuate columns is even more amazing than the somewhat ordinary jointed flow or sill at Brown Mountain. I really enjoy the curved columns.

Perhaps best of all is the story behind the discovery of, and the "hiding" of, the Machado Postpile. What a treat it would have been to be a student working on a thesis or a dissertation in that area and engaging the late Jesse Machado.

That it remained "unconfirmed" until 1990 is testimony to the difficult terrain as well as a "dating" of the general onset of availability of high resolution satellite imagery. All we had in the ancient times of the 1970s was the first two Landsat satellites (well, that's all the NSA would let us see), and that imagery was far, far beyond the price range for a poor student or an unfunded researcher. For good or ill (mostly for good, I'd estimate), Google Earth imagery has enabled the discovery, or confirmation, of so many structures, features, and occurrences that it boggles the mind.

Thanks SO much for including the link to the story behind the outcrops.

Foy

Glad to help Foy, glad to help! :)

Great stuff once again, Foy, I really appreciate your comments and additions!

Some photos of our last visit to Machado Postpile.

gallery_1902_252_41135.jpg

gallery_1902_252_6480.jpg

Now that outcrop I mentioned just to the southwest of Brown Mountain. It's small, tucked away, hard to find. Tucked into it's base in the cool shade is the remains of the Tell family's cheese cellar from the Gold Rush era. They built it out of stacked pieces of broken basalt columns, effectively tying together two of my interests - geology and history!

Back
Top Bottom