Backup Camera

bsharp007

The newer Ford F150's have 360 degree cameras which are really nice especially with a FWC on the back but once you remove the tailgate you lose your rear camera.
There is a proprietary plug the connects the tailgate to the monitor that you have to unplug to get the tailgate off, has anyone mounted an alternative camera not on the tailgate that just plugs into that open plug on a ford f15?
Seems like the easiest solution.

You could always do what I did with my Tacoma. Remove camera harness & all from the tailgate & remount the camera below your camper. You will have to find a mounting plate for the camera that can be modified to attach it to your camper. FWC does the same.

On my Superduty I bought an extra tailgate camera and mounted just below step of my Hawk. Works great and did not need to pillage the tailgate ;)

Hi 007. I have a 2017 F-150 and a 2017 Hawk. A year or more ago, I did exactly what you propose. It was easy. Bought the back up camera from a local Bay Area Ford dealership (~$175.00) and after removing the tailgate (and existing camera) I simply plugged the new/extra camera into the existing camera plug/harness near the spare tire. Made a small mount out of aluminum and mounted it in a protected area just above the license plate. John

smlobx said:
I bought this and screwed it onto the bottom of my camper after taking off the bracket. Works just like OEM

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/ford-oe-fit/ford-truck-salt-spreader-camper-camera-kit-16784.html
I'm going to give this a shot, looks like the easiest solution just unplug the tailgate and plug this into the empty plug.
I'll report back because the tailgate is a remote opening tailgate so there are other functions to the plug...hopefully this works.
And man is that tailgate heavy!

I bought an 'open box' wireless camera from Amazon (about $46.00) that includes a rear view mirror that clips over the regular mirror in the cab. I screwed the camera mount to the back of the camper, plugged its power cord into the 7 blade trailer receptacle on the truck, plugged the power cord for the viewer in the mirror into a cigarette lighter (... oops! power receptacle) in the truck cab and was good to go. This seemed like an easy solution for a truck that did not come with a back up camera originally.

As an update to losing my rear camera when you remove your tailgate to put your camper in, I found a solution. This will plug into the empty plug when you remove your tailgate and restore the rear camera.
I also bought the license plate camera to go along with the OEM plug. This works perfectly for a 2015-2019 Ford f150.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/accessories/oem-harnesses/2015-ford-f-150-automatically-lowering-tailgate-oem-harness.html

As a side note to the moderators who randomly move posts around I think this post best fits into the four wheel camper forum, it's a common problem that people have as soon as they remove their tailgate.

"As an update to losing my rear camera when you remove your tailgate to put your camper in, I found a solution. This will plug into the empty plug when you remove your tailgate and restore the rear camera.
I also bought the license plate camera to go along with the OEM plug. This works perfectly for a 2015-2019 Ford f150.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/accessories/oem-harnesses/2015-ford-f-150-automatically-lowering-tailgate-oem-harness.html"

Question bsharp007 - is this the license plate frame you purchased? If so what is the length of cable you needed? I am assuming 66 ft and then you cut it?

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/backup-camera-systems/backup-cameras/compact-backup-cameras/hd-170-license-plate-backup-camera-with-24-infra-red-illuminators-rvs-6380-c-hd.html

I went with the license plate camera and the shortest legnth available I think 15'. The plug is right next to the spare tire so a very short distance to the camera, I ziptied the 15' in the bumper out of the way and left the end of the plug near where it can plug into the empty plug when the tailgate is off.
Btw it works perfect, the camera is as good as the original one in the tailgate.
Took me about 15 minutes setting up. I put a peice of duct tape over whichever plug is not being used just in case of water.

Sounds exactly what we need and we want it simple! I only see the 66 foot or the site I found , do you recall which license plate camera you got that had the nice short plug?

Ignore - looked better and saw the 16 footer - as soon as they are back in stock - it will be purchased!

I hope this is on topic:

It seems a lot of folks are asking about replacement backup cameras, to compensate for taking the tailgate off and losing the stock camera. Others are wondering about installing them on rigs that never had one to start with (I did this, love it for backing up).

What about camera/displays that are designed specifically to replace the optical rear view mirror? I'd like some options there, since looking back through the camper while driving doesn't give the best overview of what's behind me. I'm also thinking of folks that have rigs with no window on the front to see through.

Anyone have any experience using their backup camera as a "rear view" mirror replacement?

Yes. I just installed one of these in my camper and one in my sister's Class B. I like it. It has all kinds of functions, but I .only use the rear camera and GPS. It has front camera, Bluetooth, music, and even movies.

Back
Top Bottom