Bad Propane

Flyfisher

I have a 3-way fridge that I run on propane most of the time. This last trip, the exhaust smelled faintly of plastic. As the trip went on, the refer became less and less able to cool. When I got back, I noticed that the burner had changed color (like the finish had been eaten away) and seemed to be clogged. I took the burner out and cleaned it thoroughly and changed out the propane in the tank. It seems to be working much better now. Hopefully nothing else got damaged. Never even considered the idea of bad propane. Now I will be more careful with where I get my propane from.

Bad propane (is there such a thing?) or just a burner that needed cleaning.

I have a 25 year old 5th wheel trailer that doesn't move and sits for several months without use. Sometimes when I turn on the propane fridge the flame is more orange than blue. I don't try to take anything apart, but sticking a knife through the small burner access port and rattling it around loosens up some rust particles and the flame then burns better.

I don't know how old your system is but I have read that one should replace the hoses after 10 years because they break down.

May not apply here but I believe it's good info :)

Back
Top Bottom