Baja February 2016 - Planning

Ramblinman

Hi everyone,

I have been flirting with the idea of going to Baja with my 1998 Chev 1/2 Ton and 2010 Hawk ever since I got it. Convinced the G/F and the dogs (the dogs really didn't need convincing) that we should go. I think we know the main locations to tryout. We are hoping for the following:

• Cold beer and Taco's
  • Nice Beaches to camp on.
  • Trouble free travel and campsites
  • Whale Watching
  • Great Scenery
  • Warm weather - we will be leaving Northern Canada in dead of winter

We will be driving the whole way obviously - I am thinking 3 days of hard driving to the Mexico Border.

I would be glad to hear any suggestions, ideas, or advice. We would like to camp in some isolated spots - but I do not want to get to technical in terms of 4WD as we will be travelling alone - I will have the recovery gear including a winch. In a perfect world we would like to get to Cabo in about 3 weeks or so.

Questions:

• Is 21 Days enough to enjoy our selves on the beach and still make it to Cabo San Lucas?
  • Do you expect that we will be able to find some decent spots with out too much technical 4WD?
  • Any decent maps or books that might be recommended?
  • Any rabbit holes or traps that we should consider with our dogs?
  • Please suggest any must "sees"
  • Oh ya - how available is internet? Just wondering for the Map capability on my phone.
  • The truck has 165,000 Miles (266km) and has been well maintained .. any thing that I should consider on that end?

.. and feel free to chime in with any ideas. This will be our first trip. Hoping to travel as light as possible but that will be hard with 2 dogs and food etc.

I will prob post on a couple of different forums.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a great trip! The biggest consideration to make when traveling in Baja in winter, especially this winter, with El Nino looming, is road washouts and changing road conditions. Even after moderate rain, roads can disappear overnight. Beware of campsites or beaches with only one way in and out!

Another common issue in Baja is the lack of usable winch points when you get into trouble. This, among other reasons, is why I always travel with two vehicles. You may be able to get away with a land anchor, but there may be places the rocky and dry desert ground won't accept an anchor either.

You will almost never have 3G or LTE data on your phone outside of the half a dozen city centers on the peninsula. If you are super lucky, you may be able to find a copy of the "Baja Almanac, pub. 2009". It's out of print, but it absolutely crucial for my travels south. There's one used copy on Amazon for $65. I paid over $150 when I found a copy.

3 weeks will be plenty of time to get to Cabo. Beware of the drive between El Rosario and Guererro Negro, it's 219 miles between gas stations. Also watch the gas attendants carefully when they're filling your vehicle. I had an attendant "fill" my second tank in my diesel. Left me stranded in the middle of nowhere...

Another absolute rule I follow in Baja, is that I never drive at night. I'm much less worried about banditos than I am about cows in the road. A 2000 lb black bull will end your trip very quickly and roadkill will be a constant reminder that the cows roam everywhere.

Also, buy Mexican car insurance or verify that your CAN insurance is valid. I carry an annual policy on my truck that covers both liability and comp/collision. Being involved in a fender bender, or worse, and injury accident without insurance is a criminal offence in Mexico and you could end up in jail for this oversight.

You will also need a tourist visa. The fine for not having a valid visa is $50, but it's more likely a good reason for a shakedown if you get pulled over. You're most likely to attract attention from cops in the first 50 miles from the border, so cross the border early and get through TJ quickly.

Learn some spanish if you don't know any. Even being able to bumble through a sentence is better than nothing if you're in trouble or need help. Download "Duolingo" on your phone, it's free and fun!

Have a great time! Baja is an amazing place to visit!

When we went down in March I thought crossing at Tecate would be better. There were a few problems that make me think in hindsight we should have just done Tijuana. However, depending on your route through the states, somewhere like Mexicali or Yuma may work better for you. If you have not already done so, get on the Baja Nomads forum. A lot of helpful information there.

It is hard to find truly isolated spots anymore. Most beaches are going to be lined with Palapas and you will be sharing them with lots of other snowbirds. You can fins some on the Vizcaino coast, and south of Bahia de Los Angeles still. I'm sure there are other areas but those are places I have been, so can only speak for them. Even though you won't be alone, camping on one of the beaches at Bahia Concepcion is a must-see. I used this guy's blog to find some nice spots.

Is your 21 days the whole trip or is that 21 days in Baja? My wife and I went from Sacramento to Cabo and back in two weeks and that allowed us enough time to enjoy the trip. So if your whole trip is 21 days you will be fine, and if you have 21 days in Baja you will be able to hit just about anything that interests you.

As Pacific Exposure said, the insurance and the visa are required. You can get them in advance, but will still need to get the visa stamped at the border. Also, exchange some money for pesos before you cross the border. There are lots of exchange places near the border and competition is tight, so you get a pretty good rate.

BTW, the photo of the whale shark in the other Baja thread is pretty accurate. One was cruising up and down the shore at Playa Coyote while we were there. So along with petting a whale, go there and get another once-in-a-lifetime experience.

PE and Ted covered a lot of necessary details.. the Baja almanac is very handy!

Going in at Mexicali and traveling down the gulf side is what we do if going to Baja Sur. great camping around gonzaga bay, but it will be chilly(on my socal scale).. If it has been raining, go down the PAC side through TJ.. The 23 miles of dirt from gonzaga to the pavement of hwy 1 can be a mess
Not a lot to see on the northern PAC Side. And the traffic through the agriculture areas is sketchy.. Get to BCS! That's where it's at. Most of the good stuff in Baja Norte is waaay off road and quite technical..

Make sure you have good tires!! The most important part of your vehicle when traveling offroad in Baja..

In my opinion, San Ignacio Lagoon is the best spot to watch/pet the Grey Whales. See Rana at Pachecos.. His family legacy there is quite a story.. If there are vehicles traveling South from San Ig, through "the north road", to San Jaunico .. Follow them. It's awesome!! Also, this will cut off a days drive.. Doing this alone your first time can be very daunting, be careful.
You will miss conception bay going this way, but can see that on the way north. Conception is a must see!!!

I could go on forever.. Luck you, 21 days is a dreamy amount of time to spend in Baja.. The magic is in the south!

The people of rural Baja are wonderful!! Have a great trip!!

By the way, cabo sucks!!

TT

I so miss my Baja trips. I've been down a couple of dozen times. I think all the points above are great. I used to take 2 of those large 'jerry' cans full of gas with me. Also, I'd take a few extra fuel filters. Things may be better now (it's been quite a while since I've been down) but you can get bad gas and it can mess up filters especially if you have something unique (Chevy isn't in that category). I used to have an inline water/gas filter on my fuel line in the day. Now it's pretty hard as the lines aren't that flexible rubber anymore :).

PacificExposure said:
Beware of the drive between El Rosario and Guererro Negro, it's 219 miles between gas
Actually there is gas in Villa Jesus Maria (187.5 miles from El Rosario according to my notes in my Baja Almanac), not a big difference but if you really need gas, it's there. Carmelita's is the extra bonus

RM,
Depends on what activities are a priority for you..

Staying flexible, and being able to run from weather is a good way to go.. Windy on one side? Usually nice on the other..
Can't go wrong on either side..

TT

I would be interested in hearing opinions on the necessity for an Air Compressor for my Baja Trip. I have travelled a lot of rough roads in Canada and have not felt the need.

Is there anything I am missing?

I would say it depends on where you plan to exit/enter pavement. The only place you are going to find air is a Pemex or local mechanic. Depending on where you exit you could have to drive many, many miles with low tire pressure before your next opportunity to air up. Pretty necessary in my experience. Your call.

Thanks SunMan ... sounds like I should get off my wallet.

Can anyone tell me what works best for water? Are their outlets that I can fill my tank with??

When you get insurance MAKE SURE it will cover dirt roads. Some policies will cover only paved roads and since there is really only one paved road in Baja, you are very limited. The policy should cover graded dirt, not un-maintained dirt.

Back
Top Bottom