Baja hole

gvitek

In Baja, we hit an unexpected pothole. Our Tundra was OK but the Hawk essentially flew up an inch or two off the truck bed and came down. Three of the four turnbuckle hooks "unbent". We were able to have them rebent into shape again. However, the fourth turnbuckle hook did not give. The "eyelet" on the front left side of the Hawk partially tore out of the camper. Any suggestions for fixing it myself? I need to drill a new hole but should I get inside the wall of the Hawk from the inside (by removing the 20 gallon tank, cabinetry, etc.) or go in from the outside by trying to remove the gas hot water heater. Anybody have any experience in this?

I have no hands on with the new cabinets in your hawk but the floor pack we can help you with. The pressure pulls down so you will need to install a metal plate on the inside. It should be large enough to cover the hole that is broken by about an inch. then you should put a washer under the floor pack that is also larger than the break or even another plate. inside plate should be 3/16 thick outside can be thinner. you will need a longer 3/8 bolt. a simple carriage bolt with a round head would be my choice here. and I would cut the inside plate to fit the carriage bolt head. Is the broken one under the lower storage area.

Marty

You might be abel to install your plate in the lower storage area. can you post a photo of the broken eye wood area both inside and out. And you should not take the gas system apart at all on this repair.

Thanks, Marty. I was able to get the eyelet out of the broken area. I was very surprised to see a washer used on the bottom side of the plywood but none used on the top side. The top part of the assy is only about one inch diameter and it just ripped through the plywood. I can stick my hand up there and probably put in the plate (or large washer) that you mention.
4Wheel should have designed the assembly with a large washer on both the top and the bottom, not just the bottom. I've written them about it and sent them a picture. Maybe it shouldn't have been?

Hi Marty,
Below is a picture of the ripped out eyebolt. It basically splintered the plywood so I had to use a reciprocating saw to cut out the splintered part.
Eyelet design.jpg

Sawcut hole.jpg

My plan is to make a "wood sandwich" by placing a 3/4" piece of plywood inside the hole, another piece exactly filling the hole and a final piece outside the hole. The whole thing will be wood screwed together with about 20 wood screws. Then I can insert the eyebolt assembly into the new wood.

What do you think?

WOW!
That is amazing.
Would it be wise to perhaps mount this thing in the middle layer, with a nice wide washer to make sure it has a more firm base. Seems like the weak point is the wood.

This makes me a little scared!

Does anyone else experience these types of blowouts?

dave

I'm no expert by any stretch, but I would incorporate two oversize pieces of cut steel (3/16"-1/4" thick) on either side of the existing hole with a piece of 3/4" wood cut to fit inside the hole. I would bolt the sandwich together and then replace the eye bolt where it needs to be. Probably overkill, but that area is now compromised. Better to error on the side of over engineering!

Just a suggestion.........:)

Too much is gone ! I think you may need help. First contact four wheel and ask if they can help you. We would be happy to be your second choice. or contact some type of wood shop if four wheel or our shop is too far away. I would not tell you not to work on your camper but I will tell you that your camper strength comes from the way the floor pack is put together and yours needs more than a patch. If you indeed repair it as you described then you might also consider some large angel iron to help out. I am trying not to tell you to through that jig saw away. haha

Marty

On mine the upper part of the bolt snapped. The wood held.

Just a followup to the readers:
I contacted Four Wheel and spoke to Chicali. I then faxed him my plan for repair, a painted wood sandwich with big washers that fit over the cut out portion. He agreed with my plan. Painted it up and hope it works. I'll let you all know when I hit my next Baja hole. Four Wheel uses 5/8" marine plywood in it's construction with big long staples holding it together. It was sturdy enough for three of the eyebolts! I'll buy another Four Wheel (if I ever have to!).

Back
Top Bottom