Baja insurance ?

penner

We will be traveling from the Toronto area out to Sacramento to pick up our ATC Ocelot early in the new year. While we are out there we will be traveling down to the Baja for a week or so. Apparently we need to buy insurance for Mexico?? If so , how and where?? Totally new at this camper thing so any help would be appreciated. Thanks for now.

Are you talking vehicle or health? If vehicle, contact your auto insurance company. If health care, contact your health provider. There has been a post about truck campers not being allowed to enter Mexico. jd

Be sure to check the costs. Sometimes a 6 month policy (or maybe a month in your case) is cheaper than a short term policy.

longhorn1 said:
Are you talking vehicle or health? If vehicle, contact your auto insurance company. If health care, contact your health provider. There has been a post about truck campers not being allowed to enter Mexico. jd
Sorry, I should have specified. Looking for truck/camper insurance. Truck campers not allowed?? Have to check that one out.

My friend goes all the time with his Phoenix.
I've used Discover Baja in the past. Stay away from the kiosks.

I've used Lewis & Lewis for years and their rates seem to be OK. Have never had a claim so I don't know how well that works. Get your policy through the web before you leave so you don't have to mess with it at the border. No matter who you buy it from up here it will be through a Mexican carrier.
If you cross at TJ you will probably have your rig x-rayed.

+1 for the Discover Baja Club and the insurance vendors through the membership.

The Club can also secure your FMM Tourist Permit in advance.

Well worth the annual membership. Heck, the monthly newsletter is worth the price of membership IMO.

As others mentioned, if you're going to be in Baja longer than 14 days, it is usually cheaper to purchase a 6 month policy. Adding additional days to a short term policy is very very expensive if you get delayed for a mechanical, sick or some other reason beyond your control.

No problem getting insurance for my Super Duty/FWC Hawk and motorcycle through the club. If a slide-in camper, check your homeowner's policy as it should cover contents from loss or theft.

Discover Baja for me - they can do it all over the net ... i think SunMan might be subject matter expert here tho. It is my understanding that Mexico border Staff are not letting 3/4 Ton Trucks with Campers into Mexico.

Another check in the box for my half ton :giggle: - oh no the 3/4 Ton - 1 Ton Crowd is gonna give it to me now :D

Ramblinman said:
Discover Baja for me - they can do it all over the net ... i think SunMan might be subject matter expert here tho. It is my understanding that Mexico border Staff are not letting 3/4 Ton Trucks with Campers into Mexico.

Another check in the box for my half ton :giggle: - oh no the 3/4 Ton - 1 Ton Crowd is gonna give it to me now :D
Y’all hereby get two weeks in the electric chair...

Thanks for the responses . Now to start looking for places to stay.

Penner - that is the nice thing about having a FWC. You can stay where ever you want!!! Down load iOverlander. Get Baja Almanac and you are good to go.

Its all good :)

Back
Top Bottom