Basin and Range National Monument

clikrf8

Has anyone been to our newest national monument? We would like to explore it to see the rock art and photo possibilities. Not so much the City, an art installation. There isn't a whole lot of info, can't even find a decent map. There is a website so garnered some info there. I just wanted some WTW insight. Our to go state is Nevada as Utah has become too crowded.

In an earlier thread (here) I see post 7 takes us to the "Basin Rangers" page on Facebook. Buried in one of the posts is a link to an interesting Basin and Range NM Area Overview which may be helpful in your planning.

Also- you might try the narrated slideshow for 145 slides-worth of info and photos. It starts out like a basic geology lesson but just keeps going and going with info on archeological districts, cultural resources, an asteroid impact, volcanic deposits, the art project 'City', pygmy rabbits, etc, etc.

-OC

(Looking forward to your photos!)

We crossed it last August via Seaman Wash Road, starting just north of Hiko, Nevada. Took us most of the day and ended up spending the night in a Forest Service campground in Cherry Creek ( only a couple of sites in the campground - we were the only ones there). We'd like to go back and do some more extensive exploring since it was a spur of the moment side trip for us.

We used the Delorme Atlas for Nevada to find the route. August weather was pretty nice and lots of vast Basin and Range views to enjoy. Didn't get to do any side roads or much poking around. Worth the trip, tho.

Bird and Hike dot com has some nice photos of the area.

Thank-you for your replies. Nevada is our Utah substitute as it is less crowded and has spectacular scenery not to mention rock hounding and ghost towns galore. I would enjoy this as a meet up next fall. We try to make Nevada more than a drive through on our way to Utah, Arizona, etc. We avoid national parks as a rule due to our dogs (always leashed but nowhere to take them and, yes, I agree about no dogs on trails) and that they are overrun and overcrowded. There are millions of acres of BLM/USFS land that is scenic, historical and that you can have to yourselves. I will check out the links and info, especially the slide show, FB page and the bird and hike page. Maybe we will see some of you out there. We plan on April as we make our way through eastern Oregon then spending over a week in Nevada then backtracking over to Mono Lake and back home. I will have a few more questions about routing that I will ask as the trip comes together. I have a few more mapping apps that I will trying out on this trip. Happy trails.

Back
Top Bottom