Battery Questions

cwdtmmrs said:
Boy, ain't that the truth! I only have so much RAM in my head and have to choose what information to save!

cwd

That is funny! No problem for me; at my age I have "random access" but the "memory" portion was deleted along the way!

Phil

As we say around our house:

“I have high speed short term memory.”

&

“At my age, I’ve stored so many things that any new item being stored means at least one old memory must go.”

;)
Paul

Quote"It is my opinion, and I could be wrong, that today too many are hyper-connected [my new word for the day] to too many information streams in a quest for total and absolute situational awareness. But with this sophisticated monitoring of everything comes vulnerability from inaccurate data and inaccurate assumptions; plus the addition of yet another system to monitor. Knowing when enough is enough is critical to peace of mind."

I agree. Our desire for a favorable outcome or lack of knowledge of a certain situation can lead to poor judgement and therefore poor decision-making.

Bias and prejudice can also cloud our judgement.

The accident analysis on the 2 space shuttle accidents demonstrates your point on how information can be misinterpreted, even by very intelligent, knowledgeable people, with tragic results.

I had a battery meltdown in my home system due to lack of prior knowledge while away on a van camping trip to Yellowstone. Fortunately I got back in the nick of time. All the amps in my very large battery Bank where going to a weak and then shorted out cell as the electrolyte in that cell went dry with the overcurrent situation. The result was a massive amount of heat starting to build up.

Fortunately our camper systems are small, but still has the potential to be a safety concern, for example not venting the battery box.

Now I gather as much knowledge as I can and routinely monitor systems for safe operation.

Knowledge and understanding of how we humans make poor judgements is part of that process and enters into the equation of decision making.

I believe that's actually good for our brain health. Use-it-or-lose-it.

Just a practical question... the "shunt" that comes with the victron 700 batt. monitor...what are the dimensions of the "shunt? ...

doing research on where to mount the shunt in my set up...looking at my battery box in my Fleet (w/ bench) about where to mount the shunt--I have 2" above the 2 6v AGM batts ... looks like it would fit ... just need to its size...thanks..

PaulT said:
As we say around our house:

“I have high speed short term memory.”

&

“At my age, I’ve stored so many things that any new item being stored means at least one old memory must go.”

;)
Paul
The latter is a hypothesis put forward in popular print by Sherlock Holmes and may not have originated with Conan-Doyle..

We have a Trimetric that I mostly ignore. Except when I don't. I'm not about to "manually" data log, I just use it to spot check the system. If I wanted data logging I'd set up an Arduino as the I/O board and send the data to the cab mounted netbook primarily used for a GPS and accessing Stabuck's wifi.

My '60 Baja had both the lever and a gauge, but the gauge was mechanical & used to get hung-up.

<p>Thanks guys for the feedback on the Victron shunt dimensions...yup...good to go with my first choice on where to locate the shunt in the battery cabinet above the batteries... looks like a pretty easy install--even for me...removing a few cabinet tops, hooking up the shunt to the batts, stringing/securing the wire, cutting a hole and mounting the gauge, and entering the battery settings...</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>think I will be purchasing the &quot;700&quot; (all I need) in the next day or so... looking forward to getting truer readings on the &quot;SOC&quot; post installation on future camping trips--will put my mind more at ease ...</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>thanks to all of you who have &quot;educated me&quot; toward this decision with recent posts and earlier ones referenced in those posts... this chat group is the best! ... always a learning experience...</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Brad</p>

scappoosebrad said:
woops...not sure why my post has all that "extra" text stuff!
Brad, it’s extra html probably created when your post failed and you got a “Page Not Found” error, then refresh the post. The tech team is working on it.

thanks Sagebrush...yeah, it is first time that extra html appeared...probably due to "operator" mishitting a key... but glad that you guys are troubleshooting..thanks...

Brad

Back
Top Bottom