Be Safe Out There...

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
If you're traveling on this Thanksgiving Holiday, be safe out there folks. The news is predicting a very large number of people on the road, so watch the weather and in particular, watch out for the crazies.

The Bride and I wish you the very best :) with friends and family!

Thanks Steve. Happy Thanksgiving to you and all of the WTW family. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Wishing all a great Thanksgiving. No camper trips until next year. Thanksgiving with my older daughter and grandkids tomorrow. December flying to see my other daughter in Switzerland.

Life is good, get out and enjoy.

Bill

Praying for a safe journey for all! and a special time with friends and family. Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, to all a happy Thanksgiving! Chain controls had just dropped when we started out, traffic was much lighter than expected. Unfortunately trip plans suddenly changed and we are holed up in a warm motel room in Bridgeport. Just what the doctor ordered. This will make a good story. But in the big picture we have so much to be thankful for, it is wonderful to have a day set aside to bring it all into focus. We are fine, no worries our friends.

Thank you, Mr. WS. We are heading over Boreal Pass (80) in the mid-morning on the T Day. Roads look clear with snow on the shoulders. It will be a wonderful vista heading around Tahoe and then down 395 to the promised land. We're good from there on, with reservations at Benton for some decompression. Callie and I are salivating on the turkey roast I plan to put on the Webber Q.

But we wish to stay out until Sunday to explore several petro sites, and are concerned with a Sunday return over the summit.
Weather conditions will dictate and we may scuttle home a day early.

Best wishes to the WTW crew. It's an awesome group, and a island of sanity, in a taxing world.

Since practically my entire family lives in 2 or 3 zip codes only a couple of dozen miles apart, we did the only logical thing.........drove 200 miles west to the Blue Ridge along the NC-TN-VA border area. The old Superduty was saddled up with the 6 x 12 trailer toting nearly a cord of firewood, outdoor cookstand, propane, cookware, 1 bushel of Stump Sound's finest oysters, 4 coolers with 325 qts total capacity, 100 lbs of ice, and pretty much the Complete Technology of Western Man scattered through the bed of the truck and the trailer. My sons and I are the poster children of "go big or go home", you might say.

Those extra million + travelers predicted for NC this year--we found 'em, Still only took an additional 45 min or so and was only run into the emergency lane once by careless lane changers. How you can miss my truck + trailer with all lights ablaze I have no idea.

At this moment, 0600 on Thanksgiving Day, a 2 hour rain shower, the first since the hurricane of early October, just ended. That's something to be thankful for in these smoky, dry as toast hardwood forests.

Soon the babies, aged 3 and 1, will be up and running about the house with their Pop (yours truly) close behind. An 18 pound bird is thawed and ready for the oven. A couple from Raleigh, refugees from our rapidly growing city, will visit from their new permanent residence in nearby Ashe County. Our unmarried son's girlfriend's father drove all the way from Cape Cod, Mass to join us. Pop will build a mondo fire in the stone fireplace, the wind will shift to carry the wildfire smoke away, and we'll have our cherished stellar view of Grandfather Mountain as we dine this afternoon.

Tomorrow we'll suit up the babies and descend a short distance down the mountain to the Christmas tree grower's land where we've been doing business for nearly 30 years. It's a reunion of friends and another chance to see how "your Mom and them are gettin' along".

Come Saturday, the Mom and Grandmom will take the babies to the Christmas Parade in Blowing Rock while the Dad and Pop set up for an outdoor oyster fest for our group, my college roommate from 40 years back, who. like many Appalachian State students from the 1970s, never left the area. His 31 year-old daughter and son in law and other local friends and neighbors will be coming over. After the oyster roast, the long process of re-loading the trailer and strapping down the trees, etc, will ensue, then early to bed for a soon-after-dawn departure on Sunday.

It's a whole lot of work, but a whole lot of fun. Just yesterday, grandson "Billy the 5th" (yes, he carries a V after the name my son and I received from my father and grandfather) held on tightly to his father's hand as he traversed the "Big Mountain", a large outcrop beside the house. It was his first such outing but it won't be his last. He's already talking about how much he likes "Pop's Mountain" so I expect, and hope, he'll be back again and again.

Happy Thanksgiving to all in this fine, caring, and giving community!

Foy

I just learned we had another guest last night--another local, at that. Neighbors saw a black bear "at least 300 lbs" cross the driveway about 200' from the house. Reckon we'll be keeping the babies close while we go exploring this afternoon.

Foy

Foy, looks like a great Thanksgiving. Oysters, nice idea. Just grilled a 22# turkey. Have a house full of grandkids. I always enjoy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Speaking of being safe out there-do you guys realize we forgot to both post and remind us all that both "Marooned Without a Compass Day" (November 6). and (ready)"Hug a Bear Day "(November 7) took place already!!!. How could we forget!

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Speaking of being safe out there-do you guys realize we forgot to both post and remind us all that both "Marooned Without a Compass Day" (November 6). and (ready)"Hug a Bear Day "(November 7) took place already!!!. How could we forget!

Smoke
Help us remember Smoke! :)

When is kiss a rattlesnake day?

..................all the usual (and then some) liability disclaimers apply

Back
Top Bottom