Bears and food question

Several of the high-end coolers like Yeti and Engel are certified bear "resistant" with a couple bolts through the corners. I like the idea of the steel conex container mentioned above even better. I also have a portable bear fence based on a Zareba Yellowjacket that I modified so it doesn't click as loud. Like others have said, none of this is going to matter if the Griz is determined, except for that steel box!.

What the heck is a bear fence? I'll hafta look that up.
I can't afford to get new bear containers or Yeti anything. Was wondering if spraying Bear Spray around the perimeter of camp would help? I'm kind of humerous on that, kind of seriousl :)

Bear spray is a deterrent only when sprayed a the bear's face. Spraying it around your campsite is just seasoning.

Be careful with your dogs, though, they aggravate bears. And if you hike anywhere keep talking as you go and beware of thickets, bears are hyperphagic and will be gorging themselves on any berries or nuts they can find. I usually say 'hey bear' as I walk along to let them know I'm there. Worst thing to do is surprise a bear, especially a feeding one.

If you find a likely place to camp and it has trash around find another spot.

And don't spend the whole day cooking bacon in your camper. :giggle:

Stalking Light said:
Bear spray is a deterrent only when sprayed a the bear's face. Spraying it around your campsite is just seasoning.

<snip>
And don't spend the whole day cooking bacon in your camper. :giggle:
Hahaha!
dogs have dry food, fed in camper.
I could just live on cereal while in bear country. no cooking, few smells :)

Because of Pugsly, I tend to only walk as far as I can still see the camper.
I'm loth to leave her alone (tho I'm sure she's fine. she just goes to sleep)

Stalking Light said:
I camp in bear country all the time and keep food in my camper. If you follow food storage guidelines for the area and keep a clean camp you are more likely to have an accident on the road getting to camp than you are to have a bear incident in camp.

<snip>
Charlie has said it well. In the big picture, we feel much safer in bear country then most other places.

hoyden said:
Never keep foodstuffs in my camper?
I have food storage in there! Cupboards with dry goods. Fridge with wet goods.

eh?
I've been backpacking in bear country for 40 years. No issues with bears, if you keep yourself and your camp food odor free. For example, I don't even keep lip balm in my tent, as it does have an odor. In really nasty bear country (Waterton/Glacier) we even cook dinner in different clothes and put those with the food too.

I think it also really depends on how the bears are conditioned. In Kananaskis Country here in Alberta the parks folks test to see how they respond to a yell of "Hey Bear!" If they pop up their heads, and then ignore you, then you are likely OK with that bear. We've also heard of bears moving towards the sounds of gunshots, because they signal a recent kill they will come looking for.

I also typically see a LOT more wildlife (including bears) up here in Canada than on my trips to the USA.

These two web sites have good info.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/mtn/ours-bears/securite-safety.aspx

http://www.albertaparks.ca/kananaskis-country/advisories-public-safety/wildlife/be-bear-smart/

We intend to keep all foodstuffs in the cab of the truck, and cook outside whenever possible.

FWIW, all of southwestern MT is black bear country and of course the areas closest to Yellowstone are grizzly country. That said, in the 30-some overnights we've spent in the Big Hole, Rock Creek, Pioneer Mountains, and vicinity since 2010, we have seen no sign of black bears. I must here admit we did not necessarily keep the best of "bear country clean" campsites, either.

If I recall correctly, the Twin Lakes NF campground had bear boxes. I don't recall the various Rock Creek campgrounds having them. In WY, the FS 300 route through the Wind River Range passes by NF CGs at the Little Popo Agie River, Fiddlers Lake, and Louis Lake. All look like terrific places to camp and all are surely in black bear country.

Take routine precautions and you should be fine. It might be a good idea to include some phone calls to local ranger district offices to see if there are any warnings in effect for bear activity as you approach, though if there are, you'd likely see some signboard postings of such, so perhaps looking at CG and other signboards as you enter NF lands is a good enough check of local conditions.

Foy

Thanks Foy!
It looks like my route is changing and I won't be heading up north this trip.
BUT I definitely will in the future, so this is all super helpful info!

Back
Top Bottom