Bears, Food, and Campers?

ScottBailey

After reading this thread at Expedition Portal I began to wonder about bears and OUR refers.

Anyone have any opinions/stories to share?

This all started after my crappy igloo failed to hold ice for more than 30 hours. I started trying to prep the wife for an Engel to go with our Dometic 3-way. Well, I'm not feeling it anymore. I think I'm going to save for a Yeti.

Attachments

• img-tundraseries.jpg
    img-tundraseries.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 423
I'm pretty sure that cooler is beer proof. No way a cold one is escaping from that thing!

On a serious note, I have come up with my ultimate camper config and part of it is to replace part of the current bench seat with yeti cooler which will double as cooler and seat.

I looked at the yeti before I bought my current cooler but it was just a bit too wide to slide in the door past the current bench seat.

Wow for those prices I sure hope they keep the bears out.......

The first week I took my camper to work, I noticed my old cooler didn't do the trick, and happened upon a Maxcold Igloo at Sam's Club. Looked decent enough, and only about $40. My ice was still about 70% frozen after sitting in the parking lot for 3 days at mid 80's to low 90's temps. Worked significantly better than the older igloo I had used. I attribute that to the way the lid really seals tight when closed.

I don't think I'd pay $300 for a cooler - maybe an Engel, but not a cooler.

I freeze water bottles to keep my Maxcold cold and they will stay frozen for 3 days easy.

replace part of the current bench seat with yeti cooler which will double as cooler and seat.
Great idea, Dog. Would you have to remove it in order to drain it or do you think there is another way?

Great idea, Dog. Would you have to remove it in order to drain it or do you think there is another way?

I'll have it so it can be easily popped out of its spot, pulled over to the door, and tilted at an angle to drain it right out the back door.

Coolers as furniture sounds good.

My Igloo is a maxcold! But it just isn't working for me. I like the Coleman extreme better, but I think the Yeti is better insulated still. I checked them out tonight at Sportsman's Warehouse; they feel robust. But the cost! Wow.

Too much for me right now.

No bear stories?

The Yetis are expensive, but the fact that they can also double as a bear container at need really made me take notice. Much of my camping is in black bear country, and food storage is an issue for me. Add up the cost of a high end igloo and the cost of a bear container (or two!) and the Yeti doesn't look quite so bad.

Maybe a Chinese company will start making a Yeti knock-off for much less (stir, stir).;)

Are the Yetis US made? I couldn't find that info.

My bad. On their website it says they are manufactured in the Philippines. HQ and distribution is in Austin, TX.

According to a CA Ranger I know, in her patrol area bears break into locked vehicles several times a week in the summer. Now one would think a F250 (even one with running boards) would be stronger than a Yeti.

The bears tend to peel the window frames away from the body. The weak link in the door panel. The video on the Yeti web site looked pretty convincing. You would probably have to get new latches after a bear played with the cooler.

The thing to remember about bears and food is that they have one of the best noses in the anumal world. There is an old indian saying that really points this up. "If leaf falls in the forest, a deer will hear it, a wild turkey will see it, and a bear will smell it." This is way more true than you can imagine. Trust me on that. How do you beat this?? Keep a clean (I mean a really clean) campsite. Keep a really clean vehicle. I have my truck fully detailed each year before going camping and allow NO, NONE, ZERO loose food or eating/drinking in the truck EVER. I scrub my coolers and rinse with Clorox after every trip. Wipe them, my stove, chuck-box, kitchen-box down after every meal with Clorex wipes. Never dump any dish water at the campsite, etc. Put all your food containers including coolers in the campsites bear-proof locker. If your out in the bush store in your vehicle and cover then with a space blanket so they can't tell it's a cooler, etc. from the shape. Yes, savvey campground bears can tell!

Good luck
W.T.

I have my truck fully detailed each year before going camping and allow NO, NONE, ZERO loose food or eating/drinking in the truck EVER. I scrub my coolers and rinse with Clorox after every trip. Wipe them, my stove, chuck-box, kitchen-box down after every meal with Clorex wipes.

OCD? :LOL:

I think so. I go to bed with a bag of chips by my head. Leftover food on the grill. Bacon grease dumped on the ground. Coolers in plain sight. And still, have never had a problem.

Scott,
You may want to check out these coolers.

http://www.galaxycoolers.com/cooler_specs.php

I have had some experience with the Yeti coolers on river trips and I am less than impressed.

Galaxy coolers are what a lot of river outfitters are using.

Google GCPBA and if you join as a member they are running a 40% off members special on Galaxy. Might save you some money. Don't know if they are bear proof but what I have seen of the Yeti on the river they have a lot of problems with the latches and lid warpage.
Drtrat

After reading this thread at Expedition Portal I began to wonder about bears and OUR refers.

Anyone have any opinions/stories to share?

This all started after my crappy igloo failed to hold ice for more than 30 hours. I started trying to prep the wife for an Engel to go with our Dometic 3-way. Well, I'm not feeling it anymore. I think I'm going to save for a Yeti.

Barko1 and Craig333

Make fun if you wish. However, I have been car camping/tent camping for over 40 years in all 11 of the Western States and there are a lot of campgrounds in that area that are smack-dab in the middle of bear country. I have never been bothered by bears doing anything more that wandering through my site, snif around a bit and move on to more productive sites. I have watched as those same bears have trashed many other campsites on both sides of mine as well as those behind and across the road from mine. All because the campers didn't keep a clean campsite. I don't know how how old either of you may be, but if you were an adult in the 60's perhaps you remenber the Volvo sedans of that age. They were some of the most solidly built cars ever. Really heavy steel. Well I watched a small black bear sow (not more than 150 lbs.) open up a 64 Volvo sedan like it was made of cardboard. When she got out of the car it looked like a battle-zone. She also opened the trunk like she had a key. If you want to take that kind of a chance with your vehicle or your tent, your gear, etc. be my guest. However, I don't really wish that on you or any other camper.

W.T.

Back
Top Bottom