Before I Buy Used Grandby - Need Advice

durangatan

Hey guys, looking for some advice, went and checked out an older Grandby model. Really solid all around (appliances work, canvas and roof great, siding good) except for a couple of things that I am looking for advice on:

1) the right half of the front top piece of the pop up mechanism is rotted out where it is riveted to the piano hinge, this looks like a simple repair (drill out rivets, make new piece, rivet), am I missing something? The Piano hinge is still serviceable.

2) The camper was permanently installed on a truck when it was picked up from the dealer/factory, there is no eyebolt turn buckle set up, instead it was bolted directly to floor through the bed. Again it seems relatively simple to add the eyebolt set up.

3)The camper as originally installed did not have a front window, there was a permanent boot feature to the truck. This will not work for my arrangement, anyone out there replaced window, or know it it is possible in this type of setup? (I assume that the opening is the same size as the window) Also, I am not opposed to just filling it in with a sealed plywood setup)

Thanks for the input,

Ivan

2) The camper was permanently installed on a truck when it was picked up from the dealer/factory, there is no eyebolt turn buckle set up, instead it was bolted directly to floor through the bed. Again it seems relatively simple to add the eyebolt set up.

I have an 83 fleet installed in a 2007 tacoma. A past owner had installed mounting points (eyebolts) above the rails to be attached to the outside of the truck bed. But I wanted to mount to the inside of the bed. So I drilled in new eyebolts that attached to the plywood that went over the top of where the wheel housings are. I reinforced them with large washers and a second piece of wood.

Probably overkill for my uses. I have a 2wd tacoma and won't be crawling any rocks. But it wasn't any extra trouble and it works well so far. I don't know if newer models of the fwc's still use 3/4" plywood everywhere below the rails.

Once you've got it mounted (which is probably the easiest part of what you need to get done), if you can get to Sacramento to visit Jeff, Marty and Don at All Terrain Campers (ATC), I'll bet they could do a window install for you and repair the roof lifter, too.

Before starting up ATC, they used to work at FWC, and will not only be able to do the work, they are very reasonable on their fabrication/repair prices. When I was visiting them, pre-purchase, I saw them build and install the lifter panels, it's an exacting job, that took several hands holding things in place. Those spring loaded hinges are wicked powerful.

Visit their web site, listed above, and then either send them an email, or better yet give them a call and talk to them. They are great guys.

If nothing else, they will give you expert advice on how to do the job yourself, in case you live too far away to make the trip to Sacramento.

I saw them build and install the lifter panels, it's an exacting job, that took several hands holding things in place. Those spring loaded hinges are wicked powerful.

I thought about doing it but not an easy job and eventually I had FWC do it. Add it to the price of the deal, $400+

I had a little bit of tear out going on one of my lift panels, in the hidden part of the hinge. I repaired while leaving the top hinge in place (riveted) and just undoing the lower hinge (screwed). It was "interesting" work that myself and my visiting step dad (keep in mind we're both mechanically inclined as well) did to get manipulate the panel to get access to drill out the old stuff, reinforce the worn panel area and drill in new rivets/install them. To reinforce it I backed the plywood with a thin strip of metal flashing glued to the backside.

If I had major panel failure going on I'd definitely have removed them.

Thanks for all the input guys, out in Colorado, so the California trip for repairs is unlikely (but not out of the question). Right now I at least know it will be a difficult repair, but likely manageable, I have fair amount of experience and some really handy friends...Hopefully the guy hasn't sold it yet!

Thanks for all the input guys, out in Colorado, so the California trip for repairs is unlikely (but not out of the question). Right now I at least know it will be a difficult repair, but likely manageable, I have fair amount of experience and some really handy friends...Hopefully the guy hasn't sold it yet!

Dear Ivan-

I am pretty sure there is a FWC dealer in CO now. I am also pretty sure he does repairs.

Here is the info from the FWC website:

ARVADA, COLORADO:Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Campers (RMFWC)
5415 W. 59th Avenue (Unit E), Arvada, Colorado, 80003
Phone: (303) 431-6611
General E-mail & Inquiries: info@rmfwc.com

RMFWC independent company web site: www.rockymountainfourwheelcampers.com

All the best...

Hey Mark, thanks for the info, picked the camper up yesterday, got a good price, and will likely look into having the lift panel(s) done, pics to follow!

Hey Mark, thanks for the info, picked the camper up yesterday, got a good price, and will likely look into having the lift panel(s) done, pics to follow!

You are welcome; and welcome to the board.

Keep on.

Back
Top Bottom