Bending in lift panel hinge

Jim,

Thanks for the response and pictures.
My Hawk has tack strips running N-S on the ceiling, so I'll have to see where I can located 2x4s without causing too much damage.
Good luck with the lift panel rebuild, and nice looking power wagon!

Elver

I have a 2015 Hawk with the new panels and just went out to look at the slot cut for the hinge at the top. The reason for the cut is so the
hinge will not be bound by the trim pieces that are on the ceiling. All 4WC would have to do is use the 1/8 inch plastic that they use for bumpers as a shim under the hinge and then they wouldn't have to cut the slot in the plastic that seems to be causing the plastic to bend under pressure from the roof. Also when the panels are fully extended the bottom panel puts quite a bit of forward pressure on the top panel right near the point where the slot is cut for the hinge. The bottom panel has aluminum L bracing on it which helps support it.
The top front panel on my camper is not bending yet but I can see how it might. I think the rear top panel doesn't bend because it doesn't have the same pressure on it as does the front.
Peter K

395traveler said:
I have a 2015 Hawk with the new panels and just went out to look at the slot cut for the hinge at the top. The reason for the cut is so the
hinge will not be bound by the trim pieces that are on the ceiling. All 4WC would have to do is use the 1/8 inch plastic that they use for bumpers as a shim under the hinge and then they wouldn't have to cut the slot in the plastic that seems to be causing the plastic to bend under pressure from the roof. Also when the panels are fully extended the bottom panel puts quite a bit of forward pressure on the top panel right near the point where the slot is cut for the hinge. The bottom panel has aluminum L bracing on it which helps support it.
The top front panel on my camper is not bending yet but I can see how it might. I think the rear top panel doesn't bend because it doesn't have the same pressure on it as does the front.
Peter K

I agree. I also have a 2015 Hawk and recently noticed a slight bend. The most force at this location is the last little bit of the lift and the "snap" to lock it in place. I figure I will live with this issue until something goes wrong or FWC makes a fix.

I think that I can figure out a fix for this by attaching an aluminum plate to the back of the front upper panel. I will post if I come up with the fix.

Peter K

O K. On my camper the front panels snap forward when pushed into place but the back panels just move into place gently. I can see the front panels bend under this pressure although they are not permanently bent, just when pushed all the way forward. At first I thought this was from the weight of the solar panel but then I looked and noticed that it isn't that much off center. Then I looked at the vinyl and in the back it had a little give to it and in front the vinyl was very taunt.
So the vinyl fabric in front is stretched to the limit and creating pressure on the panels. I don't know if all campers are like this or is this a natural problem in dealing with fabric.
My temporary fix for this is to glue with 3M glue tape a 3/4 block to the top of the back side of the bottom panel and this keeps the panels from stretching the fabric so much. The panels still want to stay in place. I had to adjust the snap a little and there is now hardly any pressure on the panels.
Peter K

It must be that normal manufacturing differences have these effects. On my 2014 Hawk, the back really takes a push to finally snap into place while the front is a really smooth push to complete the snap into locked position.

Paul

An update. After about 4 months, I notice the bend in the lift panel was more noticeable. I emailed 4 wheel and respectfully requested a replacement. Because I've been communicating with them, they had no issues with request. I drove up to Woodland for the first AM appointment. I was expecting at least a 4 hr job but they replaced it with 3 techs under 2 hrs. I got a brand new lift panel and push board. They also are replaced some rusty exterior screws as well. The service I received is top notch. Its great to know the employees and 4 Wheel stands behind their product. Thanks Aaron and crew.

395traveler said:
O K. On my camper the front panels snap forward when pushed into place but the back panels just move into place gently. I can see the front panels bend under this pressure although they are not permanently bent, just when pushed all the way forward. At first I thought this was from the weight of the solar panel but then I looked and noticed that it isn't that much off center. Then I looked at the vinyl and in the back it had a little give to it and in front the vinyl was very taunt.
So the vinyl fabric in front is stretched to the limit and creating pressure on the panels. I don't know if all campers are like this or is this a natural problem in dealing with fabric.
My temporary fix for this is to glue with 3M glue tape a 3/4 block to the top of the back side of the bottom panel and this keeps the panels from stretching the fabric so much. The panels still want to stay in place. I had to adjust the snap a little and there is now hardly any pressure on the panels.
Peter K
Can you post a picture? How do you close the top with the 3/4 block on the panel?

super doody said:
An update. After about 4 months, I notice the bend in the lift panel was more noticeable. I emailed 4 wheel and respectfully requested a replacement. Because I've been communicating with them, they had no issues with request. I drove up to Woodland for the first AM appointment. I was expecting at least a 4 hr job but they replaced it with 3 techs under 2 hrs. I got a brand new lift panel and push board. They also are replaced some rusty exterior screws as well. The service I received is top notch. Its great to know the employees and 4 Wheel stands behind their product. Thanks Aaron and crew.
Great news! Kudos to the FW team.

Back
Top Bottom