Bent roof by leaving one latch on when opening

Thanks for posting your whoops and fix. Newbie to the FWC ownership and knowledge learned here is invaluable. Glad things worked out on your repair.
Wayne

I'm math challenged, but even I count to six while opening and closing the latches. Thank gawd I don't have to solve a quadratic equation to do it correctly.

AFTER COUNTING SIX, walk around the rig double checking.

NEVER TRUST the job somebody else claims to have done. Walk around the rig double checking. I learned this the hard way (with no damage done).

CougarCouple said:
Morning
I like the airplane ribbon concept Mthomas. Maybe a put ribbon on when unlatching, then remove at latching time. I have had my share of close calls. Most times my attention to the task has been diverted. These errors were early on in owning, and I quickly made new rule. Whenever latching or unlatching always complete task, ignore others asking me something ( just ask for a moment but do not stop task at hand) even with assistance I look to see all ok. The best way to fix the roof is not to bend it. We all know that, but finding the system for each is the trick. That's why I like the ribbon trick it slows you down and makes you think.
Thanks for posting the fix methods, looks like they work very well.

Russ
After getting signaled that my roof was up while driving. I got a bright pink dog leash to hang from the drivers side front latch.

That way if I sit down and see the leash I know I forgot the latches and check them all.

I use ribbons on my steering wheel to remind me of lots of stuff:

IMG_4458.jpg

No excuses if I drive off with those in front of me :oops:

And I agree: count twice before opening; and make sure you are not preoccupied with something else.

Back
Top Bottom