Benton Hot Springs; what's there to do in the area besides soak?

GroovyDad

I'm heading to Benton Hot springs in a couple of weeks and wanted to get some ideas on what there is to see and do in the area besides soak my troubles away?

I've heard there are some petroglyphs in the area, but I don't know what they're called or where they're at. Are there any other things I shouldn't miss out on while I'm in the area?

Hey GroovyDad. We like Benton and have explored the area. Here are a few suggestions:

Petroglyphs are off Fish Slough Rd. Try driving there directly from Benton on Yellow Jacket Rd., graded gravel heading south past Paiute Reservation. Turn left on Chidago Canyon and enjoy the next few miles with narrows. When you get to the intersection of Fish Slough and Chidago, head south and look to the right where there's parking and obvious petroglyphs. If you drive south to Bishop on Fish Slough you will hit one or two other similar spots. Here's one: +37° 30' 47.76", -118° 24' 53.82"

There's also Chalfant Petroglyphs, which you find off Hwy 6.

Google for Champion Spark Plug mine, which we and the Ski3pins have visited. Gnarly road to higher trail head, or hike from below to well preserved mining cabins hanging high above the Tablelands. Recommended, but probably best with a buddy.

Blind Spring Hills are riddled with mines, but we haven't made it up there yet.

Head west on Hwy 120 up the hill from Benton to Dobe Meadows, drive north to River Spring. There's a cabin there in a state of arrested decay at the spring. We've encountered a herd of mustangs in this area or along 120 a number of times.

On foot, poke around behind the Benton Store and explore the mining relics on the hill. There's a few old cars hidden in a ravine back there as well as the cabins you can see from the road.

On foot, hike past the source of the hot stream and you will find a desert canyon with a rock buttress that is suitable for top ropping at 5.7 level.

On foot, hike up the hill behind the campground and poke around the cemetery. Cool old turned wooden posts and bits of history up there.

Sorry to be brief, but work is calling ....

One other thought for you. You might try Dobe Meadows road, on the east side of Mono Lake. We use it to connect from 167 to 120, when the snow gates are closed on 120. It makes for a fun, graded gravel alternate route to 395/120.

Back
Top Bottom