Best Backcountry Navigation

My favorite GPS map app is PDF Maps by Avenza. I used an iPad mini 2 with 128gb hard drive so lots of room for storage as the maos do not compress. There is a whole world of maps out there in their store such as Nat Geo's Trails Illustrated, USFS maps, BLM maps, USGS topo maps plus specialty ones. There is a cool feature for planning and/or noting wear you have been for future trips. You can drop a pin or placemark, add a photo and description. I use it for photography, rock hounding, ghost towns and other locations.

I have used You Need A Map plus Scenic Maps West which are similar. It feels like you can see yourself driving through the canyons. I need to probably use these more often as they do show place names of some out of the way places.

Happy trails.

Oh, forgot to add that I searched BLM site on the web and found a ton of free maps of Utah for download. Some are referenced meaning GPS and others aren't but work fine for planning.

Shadyapex said:
But it works when google maps doesn't, i.e. without a cell signal,,,,,
just so you know, you can download areas in google maps for offline use. the gps will locate you on an offline google map with no cell signal.

another +1 for pdf maps too. best place to get the MVUM, in my opinion. it'll give you gps coordinates on any map, record your gps coordinates on the map, let you measure distances easily, or load that view directly in google maps. it's my go to for route planning w/ the camper.

nobueno said:
just so you know, you can download areas in google maps for offline use. the gps will locate you on an offline google map with no cell signal.

another +1 for pdf maps too. best place to get the MVUM, in my opinion. it'll give you gps coordinates on any map, record your gps coordinates on the map, let you measure distances easily, or load that view directly in google maps. it's my go to for route planning w/ the camper.
OK, now I'm really glad I started this post. I had no idea you could do this. I will be experimenting!
Just tried it, yet another tool in the toolbox. Thanks,,,,,,

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Microsoft Streets & Trips. Yes, I know it is no longer being updated; however, I have enjoyed the ability to really plan pavement based trips so that I get all the best scenic/twisty roads and avoid Interstate madness. From what I've seen in this thread, it seems to me that Earthmate/Topo 10 is the closest equivalent in terms of being able to plan routes. Would you agree?

Vic (4WC wannabee)

clikrf8 said:
I have used You Need A Map plus Scenic Maps West which are similar. It feels like you can see yourself driving through the canyons. I need to probably use these more often as they do show place names of some out of the way places.

Happy trails.
I haven't sprung for the Scenic Maps West (The pay version of You Need a map) yet. Haven't needed to really. There are various views you can use and I typically use the plan view screen. I like that I don't have download any maps or have to make sure I get the maps I think I might need. It's a big app but all of the maps are already there. I also like that when the app is open, it will track you even when the screen is off to save battery power.

FWIW - In the coast range of Oregon, there are tons of logging roads. I have paper maps of the areas I hunt but it's nice to be able to know exactly where I am and be able to get "somewhere" or know exactly which roads will get me where I want to go in real time. I've always had a love affair with maps and still use paper maps but really like the efficiency of the GPS and tablet.

Riverrunner: we used pdf maps throughout the Coast Range of Oregon as well as the areas north and south of 138 east of Roseburg and Cottage Grove looking for waterfalls. Just using the GPS and National Forest Ranger District Maps I downloaded ($5 each) saved us many backtracking miles. We were often in dense forests down one lane BLM and/or USFS roads and it tracked well. I have an iPad mini 2 and it worked really slick. Highly recommended. Also, as previously mentioned, MVUMs are free downloads and I believe are updated every year. I do not like being restricted but it helps to know if you are on a legal road or not.

allanb: you can either download many of the western Benchmark maps on PDF Maps (Avenza) or as a standalone app from iTunes (Oregon, California and New Mexico). I believe Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, etc. and a few others are available through PDF Maps. Just one of the far west maps was omitted but I don't remember which. We take both paper and iPad maps and a compass and my husband's great sense of direction. It has been my go to app for traveling. My only issue is that you can't save them to a hard drive. But, you can redownload from the Avenza/iTunes store for free. I have folders for each state and folders within the states for national forests, national parks, etc. Some maps are in several states like the Columbia Gorge is in both Washington and Oregon folders as I can't remember which one so put it in both. Good thing my iPad has 128gb hard drive. They are helpful for navigating and planning. Another great map to get from iTunes store as a stand alone map is the HEMA United States map. This gives you an overview of the entire US for long range planning and navigating. HEMA is an Australian mapping company that, according to another forum, is noted for detail and accuracy.

Vic Harder said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Microsoft Streets & Trips. Yes, I know it is no longer being updated; however, I have enjoyed the ability to really plan pavement based trips so that I get all the best scenic/twisty roads and avoid Interstate madness. From what I've seen in this thread, it seems to me that Earthmate/Topo 10 is the closest equivalent in terms of being able to plan routes. Would you agree?

Vic (4WC wannabee)
I'm a fan of MS S&T, too. I like it because its database -- street-level detail for all of the USA, Canada, Mexico -- is in my laptop and doesn't require a connection to the internet. I mainly use its ability to determine mileage between locations or between alternative routes, rather than just as a map to look at routes.
Yes, it's a shame that they've discontinued the product. Presumably it was stopped because most people use Internet-based maps now. But I go places that don't have an Internet connection, so I appreciate being able to carry all the data with me all the time. And I like having it my laptop because a 13" screen is easier to view than a 5" screen.

I mainly use S&T for paved-road navigation, not so much for remote backcountry roads.

I just purchased a Dual GPS and own n iPad. I have: Gaia maps, Theodolite, Allstays, Google maps, Google Earth, Topo. Maps.
As I live in an area of the Northeast that has no internet ... Even satellite coverage is bad due to being on the eastern slopes of mts. And the satellite is low in the west. But I am the only one around here who gets 2 bars on cell phone as fluke horizon thing so I am lucky and tether to my laptop. I have only limited data usage and want to use the Dual GPS unit to navigate with the iPad while taking trips with our Eagle camper. That said will I have to go to a place with wifi to download maps so that the program's I have will work? I have also heard the Google maps for IOS iPad has come out that allows you to plot a trip and then download the maps for route before setting out..... Has anyone done this? Hope these questions are clear.
Last bit.... The only time (mostly ) my wife and I get into a tiff is over directions....following a map ....gee how unusual.. So having the iPad out on the program following a blue dot seems like a sweet way to keep the fur from flying.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Riverrunner said:
...FWIW - In the coast range of Oregon, there are tons of logging roads. I have paper maps of the areas I hunt but it's nice to be able to know exactly where I am...
: ) my name is Thom <that's important. grin

Sooo.... Once upon a time, before I purchased a garmin....

My wife luvs to drive off road, and she is really good at it.

We are up some "Logging road" just west of Astoria.
We are so far up that the "Road" turned into what any of us would classify as an ATV trail.

Cari turns to me and says; "Thom-Thom, where are we?" (you got that right?? _link for those who didn't_ ;)

I'm like WTHeck... i'm so lost on this forestry/blm paper map!!

Took us about 45 minutes trying our best to back track and find a way off the mountain.

Next week I got a garmin so the real Thom-Thom could get us safely to our destination.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Just a note on iPads. If you have a wifi only iPad, you'll need to get an external GPS receiver. I use the Dual Bluetooth model.

Thinking I would only use wifi, I tried to save $100 on the tablet, then ended up spending it on the Dual.
FYI - with third gen iPads and newer, you don't need an external GPS receiver, it's built in. I use a 3rd gen iPad with TopoMaps and love it!

I have an iPad air 2 bought this year and I had to buy the Dual GPS. Works terrific. No complaints. I have a windshield mount for the iPad also nice for both me and Herself to see where we are w/o "confusion" .... ahem.... The mount is also fantastic to attach to the gawd awful mirror on the lift panel in the camper then attach the iPad and watch movies!!!! Now working on the pop corn holders. Great offline map program I found (free state maps) Galileo. I have Gaia, PDF maps, TOPO, and a couple others but this seems easiest

The GPS circuitry is commonly part of the cellular wireless chip and WiFi and Bluetooth circuitry are commonly in another chip in phones and tablets. Thus, you need the cellular version to get built-in GPS.

We have one iPad with cellular and GPS and my wife's is WiFi/BT only. I got a Dual Bluetooth GPS unit that we used on the boat and for camping on her iPad before she filled it up with games so there was insufficient room for maps. Sigh :( Had to get another iPad for me. ;)

Paul

PaulT said:
The GPS circuitry is commonly part of the cellular wireless chip and WiFi and Bluetooth circuitry are commonly in another chip in phones and tablets. Thus, you need the cellular version to get built-in GPS.
Maybe in the iOS world...
My current Android tablet, a Google Nexus 7, is Wi-Fi only and has GPS built in, and my previous Android tablet was similarly enabled.

Screenshot below showing the "GPS Status" app on my Nexus
IMG_20151231_090143.jpg

MarkBC said:
Maybe in the iOS world...
My current Android tablet, a Google Nexus 7, is Wi-Fi only and has GPS built in, and my previous Android tablet was similarly enabled.

Screenshot below showing the "GPS Status" app on my Nexus
attachicon.gif
IMG_20151231_090143.jpg
Maybe it's an Apple thing. Like MarkBC, our Nexus 7 has GPS, but my iPad (2nd gen) is WiFi only and lacks GPS.

On a different note, I learned something more about the inReach GPS unit on our last trip. The inReach uses bluetooth to connect to your smartphone, so I often hike with both, keeping the GPS in my pack and the phone handy to look at. On our last trip, I realized I can record a track and use the phone independently, then later the phone and GPS can be synced. When we are home I then synch the GPS via USB cable to my laptop, uploading all the data from the phone/GPS to the website. All my mapping is available to me by logging onto the delorme.explore site, which I can do from work or anywhere.

Lighthawk said:
Maybe it's an Apple thing. Like MarkBC, our Nexus 7 has GPS, but my iPad (2nd gen) is WiFi only and lacks GPS.

On a different note, I learned something more about the inReach GPS unit on our last trip. The inReach uses bluetooth to connect to your smartphone, so I often hike with both, keeping the GPS in my pack and the phone handy to look at. On our last trip, I realized I can record a track and use the phone independently, then later the phone and GPS can be synced. When we are home I then synch the GPS via USB cable to my laptop, uploading all the data from the phone/GPS to the website. All my mapping is available to me by logging onto the delorme.explore site, which I can do from work or anywhere.
Just keep in mind, if you have the cheapest in reach plan they charge you $.10 per ping.

I think the second plan gets you 60 free pings per month and the third is unlimited but I could be mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom