Best camper steps for dogs

Thanks Brian and others for suggestions. I would like a ramp but just more to carry and all the chocolate in the world would not get my wife to use ;) I think I will bite the bullet and get the Safety Steps.

If anyone wants to give theirs up I'm your man to buy them ;) :)

rotti said:
Pet Step
Folds in half, fits perfectly in my Hawk and is Rottie approved.
Use a little Velveta to train the dog and chocolate for the wife.
http://www.petstep.com
rotti:
Is it awkward or uncomfortable for you using the ramp?
How do you keep it from sliding off the bumper?
Steps are currently no problem for my pup but he's not getting any younger. There is probably a ramp in my future.

jim

We use the ramp for our lab, setting it on the truck bumper so I can take her out and close the door. The ramp also gets her up onto the rear-seat platform. When traveling the ramp and my solar panel are behind the drivers seat. While camping the ramp is under the awning. I used to have the Brophy 2-step, but needed a cargo carrier and the weight and space it took forced us to re-think. We now have the gray plastic 2 step and my wife is happy with that. The ramp provides less wear and tear on our dogs joints. jd

JaSAn said:
rotti:
Is it awkward or uncomfortable for you using the ramp?
How do you keep it from sliding off the bumper?
Steps are currently no problem for my pup but he's not getting any younger. There is probably a ramp in my future.

jim
No not awkward at all for humans. No problem with it sliding off the bumper it has a lip designed to rest flat on the step bumper and the lip has rubber gripping inserts with a sawtooth like pattern. The deck itself is grooved and has a rubberized texture to it....has a very secure feel to it. If you go to the link there are some videos that show it in action. Folded up, it fits nicely on the floor of my Hawk.

The only con I can think of is that my friends call it my handicap ramp....maybe in the future it will be?

Thanks Rotti.

Unfortunately, all my handicaps are mental. Ramps wouldn't be of any help :p

jim

I too have a Pet Step ramp for our 12 year pit. Works great and no worries about slipping, we use it in Oregon rain all the time!

For the people with the pet step, does it work well for humans as well? Debating on the ramp or the steps with the backplates. Thanks!

Captm said:
We went with Tork Lift Glowstep with the Safe Step fillers, not cheap but worth every cent. Do to past injuries and now balance issues I needed secure steps and our dog can no longer jump up into the camper so it is a win/win. Because Belle cannot see thru the steps with the Safestep panels in place she goes up/down at will.
Cheers
Happy to find out this info! Looks like I will be going this route for my pup with the panels. Can you post which model fits for the Fleet with a Tacoma? I am not sure how they are mounted if you can take them on and off while driving. Thanks!

X2 on the little giant three step. I removed the folding top part to cut weight a bit, not that they we all the heavy. Dogs go up and down them with no problem at all. When excited, sometimes my 8 year old amstaff chooses to jump to the side of them but, but that is pretty rare.

Dog ramp was the best investment I've made. Easy in and easy out up onto the back seat platform or the camper. It stores behind the drivers seat while driving. jd

Back
Top Bottom