Best camping near Depoe Bay

natjwest

Contributors
I'd like to get to the whale watching this month near Depoe Bay, but I've never camped in that area. The spots database doesn't show much camping nearby. Any recommendations?

I'd like to know more info about whale watching on the coast, is Depot Bay at hot spot? Other locations you know of good?

I'm 100% for seeing whales at the Boiler Wayside just north of Depot Bay. I've stopped 6 or 7 times just driving by and been amazed!

There is a pretty good whale watching center with helpful staff in Depot Bay. If you are new at whale watching/spotting or have kids it is worth the stop. Oregon State Parks whale page

As for camping, I don't know. I was spoiled for the last 10 years or so - I had friends that had ocean front property just north of Sand Lake with plenty of room to camp. But I am on the hunt now for good camping close to the beach. Most of the stuff I have found is either way inland - way HUGE RV - way over crowded - or closed....

Whale watching? Did somebody say "Whale watching"?

Attachments

• Photo 18 of 27.jpg
    Photo 18 of 27.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Photo 17 of 27.jpg
    Photo 17 of 27.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 189
Derrick Rd dispersed camping is $10/night but out of the way. A nice-looking RV park is here:
http://www.seaandsandrvpark.com/gallery.html

But lord almighty expensive!!!

Still hunting for campsites. We'll be doing a two-hour boat charter out of Depoe Bay.

Whale watching? Did somebody say "Whale watching"?

Whoah, that's not Oregon coast is it? Baja? My daughter would totally flip out if she got to pet a whale. ****, I'd flip out too.

There are many great places to watch for whales on the Oregon Coast. Key factors that help are having a high vantage point and, better yet, being on one of the headlands that jut out into the ocean and put you closer to the action. Bring a good set of binoculars. A great place is Yaquina Head State Natural area to the south of Depoe Bay, just north of Newport. You can camp at South Beach State Park just south of the bridge over the Yaquina River. It is open year round. Yaquina Head juts out into the ocean which is why they put a light house on it. Great whale watching near the lighthouse. There are also great tide pools on the south side of the headland. Best conditions are for it not to be too windy. When the wind whips up the whitecaps and spray, it makes it difficult to see them spout as they come up for air. Once they do, they typically come up for 3 - 4 breaths before taking a deep dive that reveals their tails. There are resident whales that spend the entire year off the coast and do not migrate. Once you get down to the coast the tourist info centers, as well as many of the state parks, will have a brochure on good places for whale watching.

Between Yaquina Head and Depoe Bay you will find Otter Rock, another good spot. Close by to Otter Rock is Beverly Beach State Park. Not sure whether Beverly Beach State Park is open year round so check out the Oregon State Parks website. Tells you everything you'll need to know including how to get reservations. However, this time of year you don't need them at many of the parks unless you want a full hook up. You can usually just show up and get a partial hookup without any reservations or simply a dry camp site. However, don't try this in the summer. Reservations required and it can be a zoo. In addition to our FWC, we also own a '71 Airstream and one of the reasons we got it was to partake of the beautiful Oregon Coast in the winter months when it's not as crowded. Gives us a bit more inside room compared to the FWC when were parked in one spot for 3 - 4 days and the squalls come up.

Good Luck

There are many great places to watch for whales on the Oregon Coast....
Wow, great information. We're planning to spring for a boat tour. Do you have any experience with any of the charter companies? I was thinking about this one:
http://www.tradewindscharters.com/

I don't have any experience with charter boats out of Depoe Bay, so can't be of much help there. I was out on a sea bird watching cruise years ago and got some great incidental views of a few whales and porpoises. We actually sighted a Humpback whale, which I believe is uncommon here compared to the Grey Whales.

Derrick Rd dispersed camping is $10/night but out of the way.

If you like the sound of sand rails and LOUD 2 stroke motorcycles that place works. During the week it is pretty quite, but on weekends it is loud! My triple secert spot was not too far north of there....

Back
Top Bottom