Best Full Size Truck For Ruff Country Travel (W/ A Pop Up Camper)

Depending on just what you're talking about, the new inner bead locks aren't just done with an inner tube. Theres this http://www.staunproducts.com/beadlock.php and I think I even read somewhere about one that doesn't use air at all. Didn't see it in a quick google search. I'll let you know if i find it.

Inner tubes what a concept!

I use one between the sliding windows in the truck and camper! Does a good job stopping wind/noise. Motorcycle tube.

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab short bed: 6'4"; 5.7 Hemi gas engine; 5 speed automatic; payload max 1850 lbs.

I bought my truck to tow my 19' River Hawk fishing boat and to carry my new pop up camper (not purchased yet). The timing of my purchase allowed me to grab it up brand new for $28,158. USA cash. This was before Fiat and Dodge was offering some steep incentives. The MSRP of this rig was close to $39,000.

I am lucky to live at 4300' elevation in the "high desert" of Central Oregon, among mature Ponderosa pine trees and deep in the snow zone. Being 30 minutes from Mt Bachelor ski resort and 13 miles from Sun River Resort, the 4x4 is used slightly more than occasionally.

I have just finished 12,000 miles in this Ram and am very pleased with the gas mileage and the lack of any problems.

Heading to the Willamette valley I averaged 20.5 miles per gallon and climbing back up the mountain I got 17.2 MPG.

So it will be interesting to see how I do gas wise when I buy my camper. This engine has the automatic cylinder shut down, when not under load to increase economy. It works very stealthy, and unless you watch for the symbol on the dash, you would not know you were running on four cylinders.

I would have preferred a six speed stick shift but it was only available on the diesel Ram. As per Dirty Dog's
excellent coaching I am about to add Firestone air bags to the suspension.

I went with the Dodge because of the new styling, super price and the encouragement from my Ford friends who had transmission problems with their Ford work trucks (contractors who towed equipment and one railroad middle management man who said his railroad switched from Ford's to Dodge Rams because of the transmission maintenance)- hearsay can sway me. I do like those new Fords and Tundras though.

I know this thread is a little moot as ken already has his new truck. But as discussions about "which brand is better" can seem to go on forever I thought I would chime in. :) yes...I know...extending the conversation! ha! Also this is my first post here so go easy on a newbie okay? :unsure:

I do think some folks just like one brand over another. I also think every mfr. has had its share of lemons over the years...if you bought one of them you probably switched to a different brand and will not look too kindly on the mfr of the lemon you owned. But I think they are all pretty decent and have friends who like each one for their own particular reasons. I happen to like GMC/Chevy's. Doesn't mean Fords suck or Dodge's suck to me...I just like GMC's better.

Of course I tease my Ford/Dodge friends about why they need to jack their trucks up for looks where GMC/Chevy engineers figured out that real men just want a truck that works and don't need to be jacked up high to look cool. :LOL: And they tease me the same way...yesterday I mentioned the pillowtrack "device" to a Dodge friend of mine...I said it might be good and getting unstuck...his reply was that as a GMC/Chevy guy I should be interested in devices like that...but he as a Dodge guy just doesn't get stuck in the first place. :rolleyes: :LOL:

That all being said I wanted to mention something that I think may have been mis-stated here (or maybe was just referring to previous models I am not sure) about ground clearance. While Dodge and Ford trucks are higher in total height this has nothing to do with ground clearance. In the 70's with the first F-250's ford had their transfer cases mounted under the frame which pushed the body much higher up. Chevy mounted them between the frame rails which allowed them to sit lower. I dunno if that is still the case but here are the ground clearances for each of the big three from their ewbsites currently:

Ford F-250 Super Duty 8.1" to 8.5" (depending on version)
Dodge Ram 2500HD 7.8"
GMC Sierra 2500 9.5"

Now this is not the be all and end all on off road capabilities by any stretch, but just wanted to throw that out there. :)

I am really enjoying this site! My last offroading in the west was around Silverton when the family and I over a few days did the Alta trip, CA Pass and some others.

OK let me jump in. I love the ride of the GMC/Chevy but stock I could never take it anywhere tough without getting it off the ground. My Dodge road clearance is perfect just stock. Oh and my front wheels don't track wider than my rear wheels.

I have some experience with all 3. I Alaska on 2 occasions I had rented Chevy HD2500's 4x4. But I took to Inuvik in Canada's NWT. Both had annoyingly low ground clearance which meant I was stuck on the main graded and gravel roads. The seats sure were comfortable. It is the Chevy trucks I see with lift kits as they are so damn low, just look underneath. Plus an HD truck with "training wheels" and CV joints just goes against my beliefs.

I had a 2003 F250 4x4. I never saw a truck with so many mfg. defects! I bought it new and had to return it with literally 500 feet on the odometer. The center drive shaft carrier bearing seized up as soon as I left the lot. The defects were too numerous to go over here. In 2006 I dumped that truck at a great loss.

2006, I bought a Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4, manual trans. I have not had a single failure ever. 20 MPG, tons of clearance. I am very satisfied with this truck. But! The first smaller truck with a diesel that gets 30 mpg, I'm buying it!

When I did my search for a long range full size truck I ended up with a used 05 Dodge 3500 short bed 4x4 Diesel.
It has a short wheel base ; yet 4 full doors. I also prefer a short bed for the tighter turning radius and the break over angle.
The cabin of the truck is spacious; the seats are pretty comfy; I have the Laramie edition and the heated seat option is most welcome.
I also like the under seat storage in the rear seats and the way you can fold the seats down to make a flat rear storage area .Great for my rather large dog.

The reason I went used was mostly for some trips I am planning to Baja.
With a diesel engine pre 06 (I believe) you won’t have any problems dealing with diesel fuel in the southern countries. Those engines don’t need the ULSD which is rather hard to find down there as of now.

I like the Dodges clearance; if you look at mine; it is totally stock with some larger tires on Aluminum rims.
It has massive axles and is a pretty stout truck.

And the range; I get about 500 -550 miles to a tank and I am no light foot either.

PismoXP.jpg

From a spec sheet from the mfg. ground clearance is the lowest point of the vehicle to the ground. So a chevy might have a good number such as 9.5 inches compared to say a dodge. But the undercarriage can be lower overall and hence the talk of what users refer to as
ground clearance. In real life use departure and approach angles and body hang is what determines ability to clear ground obstacles. I love all the big three but your usage should determine what you will be happy with. A friend bought a dodge 1 ton and loved it until he took it on a rough road. It hurt his back so he bought a chevy. He is not a heavy off road user so his choice made sense to him which is what really counts.

From a spec sheet from the mfg. ground clearance is the lowest point of the vehicle to the ground. So a chevy might have a good number such as 9.5 inches compared to say a dodge. But the undercarriage can be lower overall and hence the talk of what users refer to as
ground clearance. In real life use departure and approach angles and body hang is what determines ability to clear ground obstacles. I love all the big three but your usage should determine what you will be happy with. A friend bought a dodge 1 ton and loved it until he took it on a rough road. It hurt his back so he bought a chevy. He is not a heavy off road user so his choice made sense to him which is what really counts.

The Chevy uses IFS while the Dodge and Ford use a straight axle.
Hence the harder ride.
The IFS rides more like a car.
I had a Chevy before my Dodge. Was a very comfy ride

SlickRock.jpg

You can get a lot more articulation from a straight axle than IFS. My F150 has about 4". For a mere 10K I could have it replaced with a Dana 60 straight axle!!!! :oops:

You'll know if I win the lottery. There will be a new Power Wagon in my driveway!!!! :cool:

Yeah but you can’t put a camper on it.. :(
It specifically states it in the owner’s manual.

It specifically stated it in my 05 1 ton dually too!!

3-24-06006.jpg

What's your point?

You may also wnat to tell this guy along with a host of others using the PW with lightweight TC's on other TC forums.

I have owned a 2007 Power Wagon since May 2008 and have put about 45,000 miles on it. It's the best truck I've ever owned and does everything I ask of it. I've had it in some very challenging conditions and found that I usually back off long before the truck does.

I can heartily recommend the Power Wagon. But I can't recommend it if you want to install a slide-in camper.

I know lots of folks do have campers on their Power Wagons and most of them seem to do so without any problems. My hat is off to them and I wish them the best. I do not plan on installing a camper on my truck. If I had, I would have been very disappointed when I read in the owners manual that Chrysler specifically says not to put a slide-in camper on my Power Wagon.

I think that had I put a camper on my truck, I would have faced a challenge if any warranty issues had come up. Likewise if I had been involved in an accident. Unfortunately, warranty claims and insurance companies are a fact of life. And I've got better things to do with my time than try to convince some guy in a suit that he should honor my coverage even though I knowingly did something the manufacturer specifically says not to do. I just don't see the risk versus reward in that course of action.

I don't know exactly what Chrysler was thinking when they said no campers on a Power Wagon. I do know that the truck was intended to ship with 35-inch tall tires but that at the last minute it shipped with 33s. I've been told this was due to a request from the legal department. I have no way of verifying that. I have also heard that the front sway-bar disconnect and its resulting 32 inches of front suspension travel lead to concerns about rollovers with a raised center of gravity. That might or might not be true. I do know that automakers are hypersensitive about their liability in rollover accidents.

So if you have a Power Wagon and want to put a camper on it, it is a personal decision. If you are thinking of buying one with the intent of installing a camper, those are also personal decisions. My personal decision is not to put a camper on my truck.

Hey fellas, Looking for a general concencus on the best full size P/U for off road.
Im planning a FWC (or the like) and using it mostly in the west with my small family in: DV, Canyonlands , Baja ect......
It will double as the work truck and Im kinda set on the double cab models.
Range is a big concern and so is comfort and reliability.
I realize I will need to mod the truck a bit and im ok with that.

I know nada about full size trucks (Landcruiser guy)

Thanks,
ken

Back
Top Bottom