Best Full Size Truck For Ruff Country Travel (W/ A Pop Up Camper)

I am sorry if I offended any one here on the Forum.

Just wanted to share my experiences over the last few years dealing directly with manufacturers on which vehicle is suited for a slide in or in my case slide on truck camper.
The Power Wagon is a great truck with some awesome capabilities. It can do some fantastic things and is a great choice. When I was looking for a truck to mount my camper on, I looked closely at the Power Wagon and really wanted one. But I read in the owner’s manual that Chrysler says not to install a slide-in camper on a Power Wagon. ( page 160)
And after inquiring with Dodge directly it was confirmed to not use a camper on a PW.

Really too bad… :( L

Hence the comment from me.

Silvertip47 ; could you please educate me on where you see that you can’t install a slide in camper on a 3500 Dodge Dually?
I looked in my 2005 Ram Truck diesel owner’s manual and couldn’t find any reference on that.
On page 153 it touches the subject of how to remove the tailgate and install a camper with an overhang on a 3500 Dual rear wheel model.

I only have a SRW 3500 and there is no reference in my glove compartment or anywhere on the door jams.
I did find this document; but it is for the 07-08 Dodge

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2008/docs/dr/cgrrc.pdf

Let’s not hijack this thread; just wanted to answer your question.

Cheers and happy camping
Marc

Attachments

• Page 160 Owners Manual.pdf
    172.8 KB · Views: 162
Does Dodge ever spell out a reason other than concerns from the lawyers? I wouldn't think that they could deny warrantee coverage for say the power window just because you have a camper on the back, unrelated. Engineering wise must be the higher center of gravity thing??

I suspect Dodge recommends no camper on the Power Wagon for reasons of rollover danger with its supple springs and added height.

I was once in Canada with a rented Chevy 1500 that had a compact, relatively lightweight, slide in overhead camper (maybe 1,000 pounds). It was 4wd but as you know, a Chevy 1500 4wd is still quite low to the ground. The owner's manual stated, "Do not use with slide-in camper". And I can tell you, thankfully I was in the Yukon where there are only 27,000 people in a place the size of 2 Arizonas. Why? Because I could hardly stop the damn thing. I'd plan my stopping well in advance and besides a heavy foot on the brake pedal I had to pull the auto trans in low as well. Had I needed to make an emergency stop, there would have been no way possible. A point about 1/2 ton trucks rarely mentioned on this site is that the 3/4 ton trucks have full floating axles. The 1/2 ton trucks have non-floating axles resulting in overloading the axle bearings (ever see an axle bearing seize up on the freeway?). You can put all the airbags, springs etc. on a 1/2 ton but you have not solved the brakes, the axle bearings, differential, and chassis weaknesses. Add to that it isn't your lawnmower you are pushing around the backyard. Your truck is a lethal weapon speeding down the highway at 65 mph. Why do people continue to take these needless chances with their own lives not to mention the lives of others? A 1/2 ton saves you little money and if you are comparing the mpg, a diesel 3/4 ton gets you better mpg than a 1/2 ton gasser.

Gene as you know I had a Ranger on my T-100. Aside from adding a tranny cooler for just driving over the Grapevine I installed air bags on it and when all was said and done I couldnt get stopped in a 40 acre field. My best mileage on flat ground with a tailwind and the camper on was 13 MPG. The Dodge solved all those issues with no mods needed.

I was once in Canada with a rented Chevy 1500 that had a compact, relatively lightweight, slide in overhead camper (maybe 1,000 pounds). It was 4wd but as you know, a Chevy 1500 4wd is still quite low to the ground. The owner's manual stated, "Do not use with slide-in camper". And I can tell you, thankfully I was in the Yukon where there are only 27,000 people in a place the size of 2 Arizonas. Why? Because I could hardly stop the damn thing. I'd plan my stopping well in advance and besides a heavy foot on the brake pedal I had to pull the auto trans in low as well. Had I needed to make an emergency stop, there would have been no way possible. A point about 1/2 ton trucks rarely mentioned on this site is that the 3/4 ton trucks have full floating axles. The 1/2 ton trucks have non-floating axles resulting in overloading the axle bearings (ever see an axle bearing seize up on the freeway?). You can put all the airbags, springs etc. on a 1/2 ton but you have not solved the brakes, the axle bearings, differential, and chassis weaknesses. Add to that it isn't your lawnmower you are pushing around the backyard. Your truck is a lethal weapon speeding down the highway at 65 mph. Why do people continue to take these needless chances with their own lives not to mention the lives of others? A 1/2 ton saves you little money and if you are comparing the mpg, a diesel 3/4 ton gets you better mpg than a 1/2 ton gasser.

Your post is one of the most intelligent that I've seen regarding the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton debate. There have been several threads on the issue, and usually decisions are made based on saving money. I do understand that these are hard times and money is always going to be a big factor in these types of decisions.

If I had too, I would get a 3/4 ton truck that was a few years older rather than settle on a 1/2 ton because it's cheaper. My comments are aimed at folks looking to buy a truck to haul around a FWC camper or the likes. When I bought my Hawk I already owned a 1/2 ton. I installed the Hawk on it and got by for a couple of years but it was not the ideal set up.

That said, a persons life and safety (and the lives of others) should be the most important criteria IMO. I too have experienced first hand the "gads....I wished I could stop this thing" syndrome. The crappy brakes on 1/2 ton trucks is enough reason alone to make me go to a larger duty vehicle. I haven't seen anyone else bring up the issue of the axle bearings....and I have had 1/2 ton axle bearings fail back in the 80's (and I only had a shell camper on the truck)....that's no picnic.

My 3/4 ton diesel with the hawk gets much better fuel mileage than my 1/2 ton gasser ever got....and it does it at low rpm.....and I can stop the thing with ease. The 1/2 ton with the Hawk felt like I was driving a slow, bulky RV.....the 3/4 ton feels like I'm just driving a truck.

I am sorry if I offended any one here on the Forum.

Just wanted to share my experiences over the last few years dealing directly with manufacturers on which vehicle is suited for a slide in or in my case slide on truck camper.
The Power Wagon is a great truck with some awesome capabilities. It can do some fantastic things and is a great choice. When I was looking for a truck to mount my camper on, I looked closely at the Power Wagon and really wanted one. But I read in the owner’s manual that Chrysler says not to install a slide-in camper on a Power Wagon. ( page 160)
And after inquiring with Dodge directly it was confirmed to not use a camper on a PW.

Really too bad… :( L

Hence the comment from me.

Silvertip47 ; could you please educate me on where you see that you can’t install a slide in camper on a 3500 Dodge Dually?
I looked in my 2005 Ram Truck diesel owner’s manual and couldn’t find any reference on that.
On page 153 it touches the subject of how to remove the tailgate and install a camper with an overhang on a 3500 Dual rear wheel model.

I only have a SRW 3500 and there is no reference in my glove compartment or anywhere on the door jams.
I did find this document; but it is for the 07-08 Dodge

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2008/docs/dr/cgrrc.pdf

Let’s not hijack this thread; just wanted to answer your question.

Cheers and happy camping
Marc

Absolutely no offense here. I know the PW is not rated for a slide in camper but that would not stop me. I'm sure it is the greater possibility of roll over with the very limber springs set up for greater articulation. But I would do what it took to make it a safe TC combo even if it meant losing some articulation.

"Slide in Campers Not Recommended", in big red letters on a sheet of paper with all the other papers that came in the glove box in 05 Dodge duallies. Here is a link to 7 pages in the truck camper forum of RV.Net where people are complaining of it and wanting answers Dodge refuses to provide.

You guys comparing older halfers with todays trucks are comparing apples to oranges. The new F150 has huge brakes and a cargo capacity only 500# less than my 01 CTD 2500!

I will not argue the the HD trucks have a much stornger drive train but that too, comes at a price. Not $$$ but about 1000# of more weight. Maybe just enough weight to not make it over that one sand dune, through that last mud hole or snow drift!!! :D I have been off road in both my 01 CTD and 05 CTD and that front axle is HEAVY!!! Sinks FAST!!!

Whe I get my truck finished, complete with a new FWC Hawk, it will weigh the same as your EMPTY 250/2500 series diesel!!!! So, staying well within all my truck's ratings I feel I won't need the heavier components.

This pic shows my other RV. ALL well within every rating of the new F150!!!!

IM001958.jpg

Strange
They give you a red piece of paper stating you can’t install a camper yet they tell you how to install one in the owner manual.
Thanks for the clarification.

In the future I may buy diesel (heavier) or gas (lighter)....but I will never go back to 1/2 ton running gear.....never.

No disrespect meant to anyone.... but when I see folks loading up a truck and 2 f'in trailers full of crap and daisy-chain pulling them down the road the last thing I'm worried about/thinking about is if yer in a deisel or a gasser.

Talk about endangering others.

Who is safer on the road IYHO? The guy in his 1/2 ton with a pop-up and suspension mods or the guy with the big deisel pulling a 20' boat on a trailer and hauling another trailer >behind that< full of ATV'S?

mtn

No disrespect meant to anyone.... but when I see folks loading up a truck and 2 f'in trailers full of crap and daisy-chain pulling them down the road the last thing I'm worried about/thinking about is if yer in a deisel or a gasser.

Talk about endangering others.

Who is safer on the road IYHO? The guy in his 1/2 ton with a pop-up and suspension mods or the guy with the big deisel pulling a 20' boat on a trailer and hauling another trailer >behind that< full of ATV'S?

mtn

Just curious. Why do you say towing doubles is endangering others? It is legal in almost every state, including California. Do you have any facts to link to or is this just your opinion and what brings you to that opinion? :)

Just curious. Why do you say towing doubles is endangering others? It is legal in almost every state, including California. Do you have any facts to link to or is this just your opinion and what brings you to that opinion? :)

Only with a commercial license with endorsement( what ever that means) is it legal to tow doubles in California.
I just checked for my camper deliveries.
I was also told that most pacific states don't allow double towing.

From the DMV handbook :License classes are based on the size of vehicle you wish to drive or the weight of the trailer you wish to tow. No passenger vehicle, pickup truck, or RV may tow more than one other vehicle without a Commercial Class A license, with endorsement.

Washington and Oregon do not allow double towing. Then it is wide open to the Eastern Coastal States.

California is the only state I know of that requires a Class A CDL with doubles/triples endorsement for non commercial vehicles. Which is a moot point for me as I have had my CDL for many years, even before they were called CDL's!!!

Stopping is not a problem. All my units have more than adequate brakes to stop their own weight. I am well within every weight and towing capacity of my F150. At 67' long I am over 2' for most states but Idaho allows 75'.

My boat follows my TT around like a trained rat. Never leaves it's lane on curves or corners. Yes, I have a camera on the rear of the trailer.

If you ever visit Southern Idaho not only will you see RV's double towing but stock trailers filled with horses or cattle being double towed behind a pickup.

Telling me I'm a danger to the public is BS!!!!

anyone have any thoughts / experience w/ the new ford 2011 6.7 diesel motor....?

thinkin this + alaskanan 10' camper.. thoughts?

anyone have any thoughts / experience w/ the new ford 2011 6.7 diesel motor....?

thinkin this + alaskanan 10' camper.. thoughts?

I'd love to see one....but I am a little leary about buying the first ones out.....let someone else be the beta testers. In a few years when they get all of the intial bugs worked out.....I may be interested.

The day a buddy and I were driving south of Moab and some nut towing a boat and his ATV's on a trailer behind the boat >>lost control<< of it all in front of us is what makes me think it is a dangerous practice, folks. You may THINK you have the driving skills but when it all goes wrong...like it did for this joker...we found we were less than 100 ft from sudden death...all so some clown could go "camping" with everything he ever owned hooked on behind his truck.

Just saw a 20' or so RV push a Subaru wagon into the wall a few weeks ago on I-70 near Vail. In this case, the trailer had to weigh as much as the car and when he lost control the trailer whipped around and spun that car like a top.

to each their own...but I saw what can happen with my own eyes and I think it's a bad practice.

be safe all.

mtn

The day a buddy and I were driving south of Moab and some nut towing a boat and his ATV's on a trailer behind the boat >>lost control<< of it all in front of us is what makes me think it is a dangerous practice, folks. You may THINK you have the driving skills but when it all goes wrong...like it did for this joker...we found we were less than 100 ft from sudden death...all so some clown could go "camping" with everything he ever owned hooked on behind his truck.

Just saw a 20' or so RV push a Subaru wagon into the wall a few weeks ago on I-70 near Vail. In this case, the trailer had to weigh as much as the car and when he lost control the trailer whipped around and spun that car like a top.

to each their own...but I saw what can happen with my own eyes and I think it's a bad practice.

be safe all.

mtn

I will be the first to admit there are people out there that don't have a clue how to properly set up their equipment or even get the right equipment in the first place.

You saw an accident involving a double tow and think it is a bad practice. You also saw a vehicle towing a single travel trailer that also crashed. Sounds like his tow vehicle was inadequate for the job. But does that mean it is a bad practice for those that are set up correctly? :)

Back
Top Bottom