Best *mid priced* Kinetic Recovery Rope?

LosAngeles

Best *mid priced* Kinetic Recovery Rope?

Hi all

We like to go camping 4 seasons, and off the beaten path. Want to carry a 30 foot *mid priced* Kinetic Recovery Rope, just in case we get stuck, or come across someone who needs help.

7,000 lb 4x4 truck and about 3,000 lb (wet/loaded) truck camper, so about 10,000 lb total.

My instinct is to go for a mid priced Kinetic Recovery Rope - so nothing crappy that will let me down, but not super high end.

A number of people have suggested Yankum Ropes as a good choice.

Looking around the internets I don’t see any unbiased reviews. Any thoughts on what I should buy?

This is the specific 1” ($214) Yankum they recommended, based on my rig.

https://yankum.com/rattler

thanks

That is a very good article. Hooks kill. I don't use any strap with hooks regardless of the application.

I have had good luck with smittybuilt products and would not hesitate to buy their stuff. They have one for $185 with 60k breaking strength. Make sure you get good D-rings that are rated for a dynamic load.

I use a fairly static tow strap with (loops on either end) so I can't say a whole lot the kinetic strap quality. But I have been pulled out by one once and it was very smooth.

Kolockum said:
That is a very good article. Hooks kill. I don't use any strap with hooks regardless of the application.

I have had good luck with smittybuilt products and would not hesitate to buy their stuff. They have one for $185 with 60k breaking strength. Make sure you get good D-rings that are rated for a dynamic load.

I use a fairly static tow strap with (loops on either end) so I can't say a whole lot the kinetic strap quality. But I have been pulled out by one once and it was very smooth.
thanks

and... I have reached out to ARB – as my rig (pickup truck plus truck camper ALWAYS on the back of truck) is about 10,000 lbs wet (loaded)
To ask them what ARB SNATCH STRAP is most suitable for recovery? the “medium” one ARB SNATCH STRAP – 24,000 LBS minimum breaking strength – PART NO ARB710LB
or the “strongest” one?
ARB SNATCH STRAP – 33,000 LBS minimum breaking strength – PART NO ARB715LB
I have heard good things about ARB stuff.

ARB is good stuff. Sometimes a little overpriced but quality. A snatch strap is up there on my wish list.

I’m surprised I’m the first one to mention Matt’s Towing Youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/JlriR2LGxZU
This guy out of Hurricane, UT pulls out all sorts of people with his Yankum rope. I bought one based on just his videos. Haven’t used it yet but am glad I did it.

*** WARNING*** His videos can be addicting!

You understand that a Tree Saver is NOT a kinetic recovery strap, right? It has no stretch at all. It can be used to TOW a dead-but-not-stuck vehicle back to civilization, but really shouldn't be used to pull a stuck vehicle out of the mud.

smlobx said:
I’m surprised I’m the first one to mention Matt’s Towing Youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/JlriR2LGxZU
This guy out of Hurricane, UT pulls out all sorts of people with his Yankum rope. I bought one based on just his videos. Haven’t used it yet but am glad I did it.

*** WARNING*** His videos can be addicting!
Watched some of his videos. Some of those folks have ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS leaving well marked, highly traveled, paved roads! Especially the lady in the Prius!

I've used ropes from both Tactical Recovery Equipment and Yankum.

Either the 1" Yankum or 1.25" TRE should do the job.

You need to consider how you are going to attach the rope to your truck to enable reduced stress during recovery and prevent damage. I only use my frame mounted trailer hitch for pulling a stuck vehicle. I use a Factor 55 HitchLink with a hard shackle. If attaching to front hooks of a stuck vehicle, I will use a soft shackle. I don't think attaching the loop end of the rope to the hook is a good technique. Shackles are a lot cheaper to replace in the event of damage by the hook. And if 2 hooks are on the front of the stuck vehicle, I attach individual straps to each hook and then to the recovery rope with a shackle.

From a safety stand point I'm not convinced the hooks on the front of most trucks are rated let alone attached with Grade 8.8 or equivalent metric bolts. When I removed the hooks and factory bumper from my Super Duty, I found no markings on the hooks indicating rating. Thus, I don't want my high dollar rope attached directly to a hook. Hooks attached to a vehicle can be problematic unless you know exactly what you have or dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom