Best place to buy D or E load range tires

You might have to go to a 16" rim which will open the door to a better selection of E rate tires.
Discount should be able to lead you to an appropriate rim. E's are essential with a slide camper.
New shocks is a must also if they haven't been upgraded.

2tallDA said:
You might have to go to a 16" rim which will open the door to a better selection of E rate tires.
Discount should be able to lead you to an appropriate rim. E's are essential with a slide camper.
New shocks is a must also if they haven't been upgraded.
Thank you for your advice. I will get my upgrades done and share my story with all of you.

It does not seem to me that all these posts were of any help to the OP. On so may forums there are posts about E rated tires yet very little discussion on the relative application.

His 1999 Tacoma has a GVWR of 4924 lbs. His C rated tires which are likely load index 104 are rated at 1984 lbs each. I don't see a problem with that. The original tires in that truck may well have been P metric, although he would definitely want LT tires. It is a relatively smaller truck with relatively smaller tires and relatively smaller loads. By comparison my Ram 2500 has a GVWR of 8800 and 315/70R17 tires that are much larger than a Tacoma's tire and as such are E rated.

Speaking of smaller loads, Hamer95USA did not note the weight of his camper so how can we make a recommendation without knowing all the variables?

Tires are still available for 15" rims. Just not as popular, but there is still enough of a market out there that they are being produced.

Backroad,

I will go from "C" to "E" rated tires next time around primarily to give me extra protection from damage to the tires [including but not limited to punctures] while off road and to allow me to safely run lower pressure if necessary. '05 Tundra/'16 Hawk.

Neighbor and long time off road traveler also gave me an additional idea. Assuming load ratings will allow, I may go narrower and taller on the next set of tires. He does this for better traction in soft stuff and a little more clearance.

Hey, I am always learning and I could be wrong! :)

Phil

Wallowa, I went from 265 65 17 to 265 70 17 on my tires when I went from C rated Wrangler Kevlar tires to E rated KO2’s on my Taco with a Fleet. It made 1.5 MPH difference in the speedometer based on my GPS at 50MPH, made just a little more clearance - 1/2 inch, really did not change the tire width and I think made the ride with the heavier tires just a little more soft- but that may be all in my head. I am getting the exact same MPG that I did before both with the camper on and off which surprised me because the KO2 is a much heavier tire, but maybe the size made up for that - go figure. The KO2 certainly does give a lot more sidewall and blowout protection which makes me a lot more comfortable miles from nowhere. I would have also gone narrower but got a real deal on the tires so accepted the same size.

Backroad Joe said:
It does not seem to me that all these posts were of any help to the OP. On so may forums there are posts about E rated tires yet very little discussion on the relative application.

His 1999 Tacoma has a GVWR of 4924 lbs. His C rated tires which are likely load index 104 are rated at 1984 lbs each. I don't see a problem with that. The original tires in that truck may well have been P metric, although he would definitely want LT tires. It is a relatively smaller truck with relatively smaller tires and relatively smaller loads. By comparison my Ram 2500 has a GVWR of 8800 and 315/70R17 tires that are much larger than a Tacoma's tire and as such are E rated.

Speaking of smaller loads, Hamer95USA did not note the weight of his camper so how can we make a recommendation without knowing all the variables?

Tires are still available for 15" rims. Just not as popular, but there is still enough of a market out there that they are being produced.
@Backroad Joe: Thanks for replying to my thread. My Six Pac M-88 camper weighs 1,200lbs dry weight. I gave up trying to find 15" load range E tires and bought a set of Toyota OEM aluminum alloy 5 spoke 16" wheels for $80 used after a couple of recommendations for getting a bigger wheel size. I plan on getting my 16" tires soon and will give feedback about my experience.

If anyone is looking for tires, Discount Tire Direct is running a $100 off $400 sale on their ebay store only. It's ending pretty soon. There is only one discount allowed per ebay/paypal address, but you can get a wife or friend to help split the order. Lots of additional manufacturer rebates going on now as well, although I'm not sure if you can split an order and also get the rebates for a set of 4. Probably not. http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/discount-tire/711329-save-100-00-instantly-discount-tire-direct-ebay-sale-back.html

I bought tires and wheels from them during the Labor Day sale and was very pleased with the experience and price.

American Tire Depot had the best deals on Toyo's here in San Diego. Got pricing from all of the main players and these guys were about $300 cheaper.... They also were running a promo for legoland tickets worth a few hundred $ as well. Overall, pretty good deal on Toyo's.... Not sure if they compete on other brands.

Discount will beat them but may give you a bit of a stinkeye as they have to order them.
They'll sell you certificates for replacement,rotation and rebalance regardless of where you bought them.
I got a deal on mine through my friend's shop and had Discount take it from there.

Back
Top Bottom