Best truck for an Eagle/Bobcat?

Wolverine33

I'm starting to look for a truck that can handle an eagle/bobcat while getting the best mileage possible. The camper will be on the truck almost all the time and I will be traveling solo most of the time. I'm thinking an F150, Dodge 1500, etc. and an Eagle or bobcat with many amenities (will be doing month long trips)?

I've read a lot of the threads on trucks, but what would you recommend for a used truck (lookign to spend less than 20k) that can handle an eagle/bobcat in the mountains while getting the best mileage possible?

Thanks

I'm starting to look for a truck that can handle an eagle/bobcat while getting the best mileage possible. The camper will be on the truck almost all the time and I will be traveling solo most of the time. I'm thinking an F150, Dodge 1500, etc. and an Eagle or bobcat with many amenities (will be doing month long trips)?

I've read a lot of the threads on trucks, but what would you recommend for a used truck (lookign to spend less than 20k) that can handle an eagle/bobcat in the mountains while getting the best mileage possible?

Thanks

I wonder if a bigger camper like a Grandby might work better for you given that you plan on spending a lot of time on the road. More room for storing stuff and the slight additional weight really isn't enough to matter. As for truck I had a Grandby on an F150 (97) with the small 4.6 that was rather anemic and not enough motor for the mountains. The 5.4 in a newer model might suffice. A diesel will give you better mpg and lots of wonderful power but fuel is 15% more.

"......Eagle or bobcat with many amenities (will be doing month long trips)?"

To me that means heavy and my vote would be a 3/4 ton of your favorite flavor. These campers when optioned out and loaded with gas, water, food, beer, dogs, waitresses, bikes, ammo, etc are not that light. This has been debated over and over and my bottom line is that I would rather have a little too much truck rather than not enough.

Welcome and good luck.

X2 what rotti said.

For long trips....you'd be much happier with a 3/4 ton truck....which ever brand you prefer.

I often take trips from 1 month to 6 weeks and the extra capacity if very nice.

If you can keep things lightweight I vote for a Tacoma, but I am biased.

I think you need to decide if you are going to go small and lightweight, or bigger and heavy.

Thanks for the input guys. Just really torn between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton - I'll need to do some more research, but the 3/4 does sound more appealing for extended trips. Alhtough,Overland seems to make the 1/2 ton work. Decisions decisions :)

Alhtough,Overland seems to make the 1/2 ton work.

Not sure if you have read through my build thread, but I am doing without a lot of things that most people have in their camper. Not much GVWR to work with on the Tacoma.

If you want to load up the camper I would even look at a full 1 ton.

With these campers everything is a compromise, but the same is with life in general.

Wolverine33;

For what it's worth, I am starting my 5th month in AZ in a 2011 Eagle on a Ford Ranger. Two things; My Eagle is pretty small even for one person on extended trips like mine, but it does work. I am getting up to 22.5 mpg, 2wd, 4cyl. My Eagle w/most of the available options weighs in w/o water at 1100#, before buying it I added up the factory weights and it should have weighed 1100# w/water (water-28x8= a lot more)! Loaded very minimally, not including me, the jacks or water, I am around 300# over gvwr and 100# over combined max axles. The pickup does okay with Timbrens, but if the camper were sitting on my old F250 diesel flatbed I could go bombing around all over the desert with little concern. Best of luck to you in your decision, Wolverine33.

I agree with Overland: It sounds like you are really heading for a larger camper. The more you put into the camper in 'extras', the more truck you need. While the Eagle/Bobcat are for small trucks, they can get hefty with add-ons. I find the Bobcat adequate for one or two for most purposes, but I try to be careful in taking only what I need along. My Tacoma handles it well with the heavier springs and Ride Rite bags. I don't go on extreme trails.

Used Tacomas are pricey. You can likely get a decent 3/4 ton diesel for less than a decent Taco would cost. There are more campers available that the 3/4 will carry (Hawk, Grandby, Panther, Ocelot, etc) that you might find used. Your total expense for the truck and camper might be less going used though finding the right used camper can be a trial. There are a lot of 'mights' there.

In short, I like my Tacoma/Bobcat combination. I can go as high as 19 mpg (rare) and as low as 12.5 (Mountains and strong headwinds) but generally stay around 16 - 17 mpg at 60 - 65 mph on pavement. There are other ways to go that might suit you better.

The 6 cyl Tacoma Double Cab with an Eagle/Bobcat is a nice combo. I'm not sure what these other guys are packing on their trips but I feel like I have plenty of room for a couple on long trips. If you decide to go with a F150 I'd go with a Hawk slightly more width and room. I was told that the Eagle/Tacoma is one of the best selling combos FWC sells. Tacomas have a good resale value for good reason. As far as going with a 3/4 ton mega truck that defeats the purpose of a what a FWC is supposed to be imo. But there's pros and cons to any of the truck, camper combos. After putting 90K on an 2008 Eagle/Tacoma I wouldn't do it any different.

Thanks

To add my 2 cents. I started with a 3.0 v6 Ford Ranger/Bobcat. Milage was "ok" but little power on the up hill mountain passes and the ride left something to be desired . After the 5 week trip we made last summer to Denali/Yukon we decided we needed a little bit larger truck. I went with a 2002 Tundra AC TRD all the stuff. The camper fits the truck nicely since the Bobcat is about 6" wider that an Eagle it gives a little more room but doesn't stick out past the truck. Don't really know what mileage will be but I figure if I can get 15 most of the time I'll be happy.My rig is only for camping it's not a daily driver.The short trips I have taken so far have been nice rides. The truck goes down the road and through the mountains well. I like it and am glad I traded up from the Ranger.

Frank

This is what we went to.

Frank DSCN0005.jpg

Nice picture of Bixby bridge and a nice looking rig. Curious though as to why you didn't go with the Hawk?

This is what we went to.

FrankView attachment 13746

Attachments

• 2012-01-10 09.49.14.jpg
    2012-01-10 09.49.14.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 168
Nice picture of Bixby bridge and a nice looking rig. Curious though as to why you didn't go with the Hawk?

I already had the Bobcat on the Ranger.Just switched to the Tundra.Also I like the size of the Bobcat. I don't think the hawk is that much bigger. May be a few inches wider.The Bobcat fits so nice on the Tundra doesn't stick out past the truck.
Frank

I already had the Bobcat on the Ranger.Just switched to the Tundra.Also I like the size of the Bobcat. I don't think the hawk is that much bigger. May be a few inches wider.The Bobcat fits so nice on the Tundra doesn't stick out past the truck.
Frank

FWIW.....the Hawk's specs show it to be 8" wider (77") than the Bobcat. (69")

The Hawk definitely sticks out past the truck...but then again...so do my feet!

happy trails, all

mtn

We're very happy with our 08 4x4 Frontier with an Eagle shell, we get 18-20 mpg depending on winds. I like that we can get to places with the smaller truck that are more remote (see Dedeckera Canyon). We load up our camper with a big dog , boating gear, big cooler, water extra gas etc and don't need extra springs or airbags. Whatever you get you'll have fun.

-Bill

Back
Top Bottom