BFG AT tires wearing out early.

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
Our 2011 Tundra had new BFG All Terrains installed when it was new. We have always got better than 40,000 miles wear out of these tires on our other vehicles, including our previous Tundra with the camper on full time. We have about 28,000 miles on the truck and the tires are worn to the point of needing replacement. They have been rotated every 5k. I'm confused by the huge drop in wear of the tires.

I thought it might be because the new Tundra is significantly larger than the old one, thus weighing more. But I've looked back through older tire threads and other members with full size trucks have mentioned getting 40 - 50k miles. Some people mentioned not liking the BFG AT's in snow, but no one complained about the tires not lasting. Any ideas? :unsure:

Ted,
I have never gotten the kind of mileage others claim to get with their BFG AT's. My sets last maximum 30k, my last set only 22k. I just switched to Nitto Terra Grappler, we'll see how they do.

My current set has over 50k on them and still going strong.

There are different grades of BFG AT, does yours have the snowflake on them? If they do not, maybe they are the commercial ones, or whatever the non snowflake ones are.

Also, have you had your alignment checked? I know it is a new truck, but stranger things have happened.

Interesting between the different experiences between OH and Gene.

E Rated? Check. I thought all previous were E rated but have no way to verify that now.

Snowflake symbol? No, just M&S. An earlier thread made it sound like that affected performance in snow, not wear life. Maybe it is a different hardness of rubber and wears differently?

Tire size is 275/65 R18. This is our first vehicle with 18" wheels. Wonder if that makes a difference? Gene and OH, what size wheels are you two using?

I bought these tires, in size LT265/75/R16, primarily because of the "high-mileage" raves in user reviews on online-tire retailer websites. (And because most all of the cool guys/gals on WTW run these tires.
tongue.gif
)
I got these tires in January, and it's way too early for me to tell how well mine will wear.

Could the larger wheel size make a difference -- a negative difference for tire-mileage...???
huh.gif

Do tires with lower aspect-ratio wear faster -- all other things being equal -- than tires of the same diameter with taller side-walls? I don't know...but that sounds like a question that must have a well-known/well-established answer among tire experts.

I bet we have some tire experts on WTW...

Mine are 265-70-17 with 35,000 on them and look to be good for about 10,000 more. Camper is on full time and used about 30% off road. Chevy 1500 extended cab with ATC Panther. I run 60 pounds cold air pressue in them. I have no explanation on why yours wore so quickly.
Dsrtrat

Maybe you just logged more hard offroad miles on this pair? You have been getting after it lately!
biggrin.gif

Over the years (20+) mine have fluctuated from mid- hi 30's to as low as the mid 20's. I may have broken 40K once that I can remember. I replaced My last pair in their mid 20's but I would say that I was particularly hard on them, thousands of Baja and DV miles. I could have probably milked another 5k out of them but was prepping for another Baja trip so better safe than sorry.

Jay and I have virtually the same truck. He got 40 or 50k on his sets. I got 25k to 30k but my tires get seriously more washboard, gravel and dirt roads. That may make more difference than I would have thought.

Thanks for all the replies anf help with this. Wow, the mileage people are experiencing is all over the board. I'm feeling a little better seeing some others are getting lower miles similar to mine. But still curious about what is making the difference. Another question, what pressure are people running on the day-to-day? When checking the ratings last night I noticed they say to run them at 80 psi. That seems very high to me. I always thought 35-40 was normal. I didn't think to check them. I'll do that tonight.

Another question, what pressure are people running on the day-to-day? When checking the ratings last night I noticed they say to run them at 80 psi. That seems very high to me. I always thought 35-40 was normal.

I always run my tires at a pressure near what the truck door-jamb sticker recommends, and for my truck that's around 65psi.
35-40 sounds way low for driving on pavement...but again, I'm not an expert. That's why I just go by the door-jamb recommendation.

Jay and I have virtually the same truck. He got 40 or 50k on his sets. I got 25k to 30k but my tires get seriously more washboard, gravel and dirt roads. That may make more difference than I would have thought.

Yes, dirt and gravel roads are hard on tires. I could see that being the difference between getting 50+k and 25k on a set of tires.

I run my tires at 45-60 on the road, but my sidewalls are a bit soft from extended driving with the tires aired down.

Best way to figure tire pressure for pavement driving is to chalk test them. Or just take a look at them after driving a short while on pavement when they are dirty from driving on dirt, you want an even pressure patch.

I run 80 psi in mine but only because I have the heavy diesel engine. If it was gasser I"d probably run 65. Even less if the tires weren't E rated.

I'm in the 25-35k range but I still have an unresolved front end issue.

I'd like see some comparisons with 4wd vs. 2wd too. I figure 4wd probably means 10k fewer miles but thats just a guess.

I’ve gotten 35-38k out the last two sets of BFG AT's and run them at 55psi.

Another question, what pressure are people running on the day-to-day?

Driving conditions, weight etc are really going to have an impact on the life of the tires. I have about 30k on mine and although they look like hell, I think I can get another 10k out of them. I've probably only rotated them twice, have done a fair amount of off-road, and had 2 punctures over the life of the tire. Based on my experiences it seems your tires aren't getting full life. Should have bought a Ford. Haha couldn't help that last bit.

I was disappointed with the mileage on my last set of BF AT.
32,000 on a set of 35x12.50x16.5.

My new truck came stock with Michelin LTXs. Hopefully they will last a lot longer.

Ted, The 80 lb is the max air pressure. You should adjust psi based on load. Don't run 80 psi, your truck will ride like a Dodge !!

Back
Top Bottom