BFG AT tires wearing out early.

My BFG's are prolly over 20k and showing some (disappointing) wear. My tire size is 265/65/R18 on an '06 Tundra. I drive w/o FWC most of the time, and my driving is almost entirely local roads, both paved and dirt, but little freeway. I tend to drive on the fast side, so front tires wear on the corners. :unsure: I'm due for another rotation.

When I first got my BFG's I briefly ran 80psi and just about rattled my wisdom teeth out of my mouth, until I adjusted down. I posted my findings here: Link
And found this load table here: http://toyotires.com/tire-care-safety/load-inflation-tables

Now I run 38# front and 45# rear unloaded, but with the Hawk on board it's 50# front and 60# rear, as long as I'm on highway. From there I will reduce pressure depending upon terrain.

I tend to drive on the fast side, so front tires wear on the corners. :unsure:

Driving habits (or style) will have a lot to do with tire wear. With the truck I drive in granny mode, slow on the gas, easy on the brakes and slow in the corners.

At one point in time I would go through a set of tires every year. One set was worn out much faster than that.

I got my speedy driving out of my system when I was younger. Now I see no reason to go fast unless my butt is a few inches off the ground.

I'm still on my first set of these BFGs. I figure I have about 25k on them now, and they look to be good for maybe 10k more (a rough guess). The camper is on full-time with pavement pressure of between 50 - 60 psi. I keep that same pressure on the developed gravel and dirt roads, airing down to 35 psi for the less developed FS roads. I don't drive fast.

Hope one more data point helps
smile.gif

Don't forget to consider temps too. If you do a lot of high temp travel where you are they will wear more quickly.

I need a new set myself but got nearly 40K out of mine. Pretty weird that your experience was so different. :(

Back
Top Bottom