Bicycle racks on an FWC

LawrenceG

Anyone out there have experience using a "1UP USA" hitch mounted bike rack (w/2 bikes) with their Hawk? Curious as to the hassle factor involved with getting into and out of the camper with the rack and bicycles mounted.

We have an older Hollywood hitch rack that is very easy to use. We can just pull a pin and the rack lowers enough to have easy access to the camper without the need to take the bikes off the rack. The rack you are looking at looks quite different from mine. The Hollywood holds the bikes from the top tube and lowers away from the camper. The one you are looking at doesn't appear to lower away from the door. I would look at the Yakima Fullswing. Hollywood still makes the type of rack we use. Looks like access to camper would be easier.

I have a Yakima swingaway type carrier.It is an older model that I got on craigslist 4 or 5 years ago but it works great for me.It is very easy to operate.I looked at the 1up usa racks and did not see a swing away type.I think that the racks that swing down would get in the way of a ladder or stairs to enter the camper.

Another Yakima user here. I think it is the Swing Daddy, will hold 4 bikes and has a cable that locks back onto itself to keep honest people honest. Works well.

I have a front hitch bike rack. Love it. Just inexpensive Allen brand, but does the trick. Installed the front hitch myself, easy breezy.

We have two fork mounts on the rear of our Hawk. It's a bit tight, I can still open the door when the bikes are there.

We love our fork mounts on the back. No bumper hitch bouncing rack down a rough road

Attachments

• resize3.jpg
    resize3.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 3,323
bike4mee said:
We love our fork mounts on the back. No bumper hitch bouncing rack down a rough road
Looks like a fun-hog-mobile, bikes4me! That's our set up too, except 'yaks not SUPs.

I have a 1up on the back of our tacoma/eagle combo.

In-order to make the setup work I have added a hitch extender and installed the 1up.

The 1up is hands down the best bike rack on the market. American made, lifetime warranty and no plastic bits to be found anywhere. I work in the bike industry for a major manufacturer. With that comes expensive bikes and I can't seem to find an alternative that I trust more than the 1up. The problem with swing away racks that are currently available on the market is that they don't offer an option that utilizes a tray/arm setup (like the 1up) that minimizes contact between the bicycle frame and rack. In my opinion, for expensive bikes, this means scratches and damage.

The bike rack in conjunction with the camper has some room for improvement as it can be tricky to get in and out of the camper. With the hitch extension, I can fit a 3 foot step ladder between the rack and truck. This allows us to get in and out with minimal hassle.

The absolute ideal setup for us would be to keep the 1up and add this: https://www.facebook.com/pages/RakAttach/945251038819826?fref=ts. I haven't done it yet but will most likely do it coming into the 2016 riding season. I have spoken to the maker of rakattach and I think they are the best and really only option for an add-on swing arm.

I will try to post a photo of our current setup once me lady gets home!

bike4mee said:
Was curious if your mount is something like this....was trying to see what you had on your pic but I can't quite make it out:

https://www.amazon.com/CyclingDeal-Bicycle-Bike-Mount-Carrier/dp/B00IFW3LD8/ref=pd_day0_468_6/146-1306842-3710448?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00IFW3LD8&pd_rd_r=7DR58QWKTV32XW4RZ6XE&pd_rd_w=RFpqp&pd_rd_wg=9oJQQ&psc=1&refRID=7DR58QWKTV32XW4RZ6XE

What did you use to tie the rear wheels down with? Did you have any trouble drilling holes for the fork mount? Not sure if a screw will grab onto anything....

Thanks.

That fork mount should work good. You may want a locking skewer for it. I have also put a u-bolt on the camper so I can put a good lock on the bike.
I just use cam straps that are attached to the camper for the back wheel. You can use a yakima tray also
The vertical bike mount really works well

I took a similar minimalist approach as photohc. I used Rocky Mount hardware and uni-struts, through bolted to the camper. The uni-struts allow precise positioning of the mount point and also allow swapping the bike mounts for other fun vertically mounted stuff.

By slightly elevating one of the mounts (using hollow rectangular stainless steel), I was able to position two bikes and a front wheel mount next to one another on the right side of the Fleet. The door will open with the bikes mounted.

Rock solid.

Attachments

• Bike Mount.jpg
    Bike Mount.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 1,310
brentano said:
I took a similar minimalist approach as photohc. I used Rocky Mount hardware and uni-struts, through bolted to the camper. The uni-struts allow precise positioning of the mount point and also allow swapping the bike mounts for other fun vertically mounted stuff.

By slightly elevating one of the mounts (using hollow rectangular stainless steel), I was able to position two bikes and a front wheel mount next to one another on the right side of the Fleet. The door will open with the bikes mounted.

Rock solid.
Most impressive! Four bikes!
When I figured out the fork mounted system about five years ago, I only found one fuzzy photo on the FWC website that gave me a clue. Our Hawk only allows for one bike each side of the door, but your system, including trays for rear tires, allows for two on the side.
Very cool.

Now, I'm lusting after an e-bike and considering the 1up system for a future van build.

I have the 1up rack on my Tacoma with Fleet camper. Just got back from a trip to Utah with it. The 1up rack system works great and is very well made.

IMG_0258.JPGIMG_0261.JPG

Up to two more trays can be added. The trays tilt down, which allows access to the camper without removing the bike. I can use the hitch as a step to get inside. I have the 7” hitch extender. As can be seen, there is enough room for a large fat bike.

One thought on fork mounts or word of caution of you choose to do a lot of rough roads and don't have some support under the rear wheel there is the possibility of breaking the fork leg or drop out over time from the stress. I managed to do this on a trip in BC back in 2004. A tray from a Yakima or Thule could help limit the potential stress

JimBow said:
I have the 1up rack on my Tacoma with Fleet camper. Just got back from a trip to Utah with it. The 1up rack system works great and is very well made.

attachicon.gif
IMG_0258.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_0261.JPG

Up to two more trays can be added. The trays tilt down, which allows access to the camper without removing the bike. I can use the hitch as a step to get inside. I have the 7” hitch extender. As can be seen, there is enough room for a large fat bike.

Thanks Jim!
Good to see some photos of the 1up in action. Do you tilt the bike away? Any more photos to share? :)

Back
Top Bottom