Bicycle racks on an FWC

LawrenceG

Any one out there ever try to use a hitch mounted bike rack with their Hawk loaded on the truck? Any units out there that swing, pivot, or otherwise move out of the way to allow (relatively) easy access into the camper without completely removing the rack?

We use a bike rack that attaches to a step that fits into the hitch. The bike rack then fits into the receiver of the step. Works pretty well and the bikes are far enough (and easy enough with the Yakima upright rack) away from the door to get in/out although we generally just remove the bike closest to the door as it takes about 10 seconds.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Lawrence, there a good hitch racks that pivot or swing. My Yakima that is 15 years old pivots down, away from the camper.
I'm probably using something similar, an old Yakima Get-A-Way, it works great but we don't use it all that often. Don't think there would be any issues off road as long as you take it a little easier.

I used to have a Swing Daddy, which you can kind of see in my avatar picture. Worked fine but I didn't like attaching the bikes to it and hanging them so I mounted racks on the back of the camper.

I've used the Yakima swing daddy on the back of my campers and have been happy with how easy it is to get the bikes away from the door. It can hold up to 4 bikes (tight), has a cable lock to secure them (nice) and has a bottle opener at the end of one of the arms (very nice). Mine's about 6 years old and is made very well about the only down side is the north of
$400.00 price tag. I bought mine with an REI dividend and a 20% of coupon, it made it a lot easy to swallow.

kmcintyre said:
We use a bike rack that attaches to a step that fits into the hitch. The bike rack then fits into the receiver of the step. Works pretty well and the bikes are far enough (and easy enough with the Yakima upright rack) away from the door to get in/out although we generally just remove the bike closest to the door as it takes about 10 seconds.

That is how I hook mine up. I have enough room to get into the camper even with the rack up. If I drop the rack it is easy to get in. I like the step.

kmcintyre, I'm interested in your step that attaches to the receiver on the truck and has another receiver for the bike rack as part of it. Did I understand that right? If so, what kind is it, where did you get it, etc. A picture, maybe.

Thanks,

- Bernard

I have the same step extender as idahoron that I put a Yakima Swing rack on for bikes. I bolted carpet to the step to keep it from being to slick for us or the dogs. When I get some time, I am thinking about cutting the main flat part of the step off and having a piece of expanded steel welded on in it's place. Non-slip and helps take the mud off. Yakima, Thule and others make top tube adapters that make carrying a bike with a slant top tube very easy. REI or any good bike shop should have them.

I too use a bike rack on my front hitch. My bikes are fork mounted including the tandem. It gives a little better visibility.

Greetings, 1st post here. Hope to be the proud owner of a used 4WC very soon. I have this sweet hitch rack that I use on my little Smart Car commuter and my truck. Fits both 1.25' and 2". I like it because weird frame shapes and composite bikes are not an issue and the price is right. It has held up well for me. it doesn't swing but the center post folds down after pulling a clevis pin.(bikes off) It also locks with a small padlock for each bike and folds up out of the way when the bikes aren't on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-Country-2-Bike-2-Inch-Receiver/dp/B0001VO1YY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407465508&sr=8-1&keywords=swagman+xc

I think I'll order that step to mount it in.

The Thule T2 that connects via the receiver hitch is another possibility for you. Great rack! Very stout and sturdy!!

If you're going to be buying a bike rack rather than trying make what you have work I'd suggest going with the type of design that has trays or troughs for the wheels to support it. I find these easier to load and unload, and are less likely to damage any kind of bike. Bike top tubes aren't really designed to support the bike that way, but supporting them where they are expecting to be supporting themselves and the rider makes more sense to me.

We have a Thule that folds up when not in use and folds down w/ or w/o bikes for hatchback access, and a reclaimed similar rack from the front of a city bus that only folds up. To use the Thule on the last trip where we brought the bikes I had to buy a 1-1/4" > 2" adapter and an extension to clear the spare tire carrier so I bought one longer enough with a step on it. Yes, those bikes were a ways back there and yes, I'm designing a clip-on bike rack for the spare carrier to use in the future.

@ bfh4n: I got my hitch extender with step at Harbor Freight. Quite inexpensive ($25) and they always have coupons for another 10 - 20% off.

harborfreight.com/hitch-extender-with-step-97685.html

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom