Big Bend National Park

Fernweh

Advanced Member
We are heading to Big Bend NP next week. We have some sites reserved camping, but want to checkout the backcountry roadside options once we get there. Any WTW Folks have any recommendations for places to camp, hike, photograph? Looking for off the beaten places, looks to be a FWC paradise.

Thanks in advance,

We were there in early January last year and stayed at the Cottonwood CG. As you mention, it is a pop up camper's heaven; there are tons of remote camp areas but we, unfortunately, due to time constraints were not there long enough to explore them. Permits are required for these spots, so you kind of have to figure out which ones you want without seeing them first unless you have time to explore, find a site, then return to the visitors center for a permit. Hoyden was just there and can provide more up to date info. Check out her on going thread. It is a fabulous place and we plan to return as soon as possible. Have a great trip, and travel safely.

Thanks for the info, I did read her post and have learned about some of the ins and outs of backcountry roadside camping.

Appreciate your reply,

Just finished driving the backcountry River Road. I can't remember the site names but they were all great. They 4wd required but a friend did it in 2wd VW bus pulling a trailer. Now, maybe my favorite park.

Back
Top Bottom