BIG changes to FWC's video

billharr

Here are the changes. I wonder what the cost will be?

EDIT: Full story here

watch

WOW! This news make their recently announced price increase well worth it. I for one would love the upgraded stove, furnace and water heater. And by all means the standard lithium set up! Only $1200 for an extra 135ah. I have way more than that into creating my own lithium system on my 2022 Hawk.

Thant said, I would not trade the last two years of amazing adventures we have had for a rocket. I'm glad that they are listening to the customers and continuing to improve on an already epic rig.

The prices are on the FWC website. I did a side dinette build. About $52K the way I wanted. Add a new 4x4 truck and you are talking real money. But nothing else will give you the comfort in the back country without spending double the money. Glad FWC is making the changes.

Wow, the engineers have been busy. I'd love to hear the story about how they finally got Truma. I'm really curious to see just how much weight all those options add.

I have to be careful. My 401k has been going up but not quite that much!

Nice changes for those who want or need them.

For us it fails on several points: we did not want a water heater, sure don't want air conditioning, don't need the roof lift assist (despite having fractured two vertebrae 2+ years ago.) I am glad we got our Tundra and Hawk before either went through their big redesigns. The new Tundras have lots of reliability issues it seems. The new FWC redesigns may or may not have similar problems.

I am indifferent to the siren song of lithium batteries.

The all automatic roof assist looks kind of ugly and looks hazardous to move around in the sleeping area in the dark.

Need a 3/4 ton at a minimum -- hmmm... seems like a drift away from lite and agile towards cumbersome and glampy.

This has been a message from your resident curmudgeon / misanthrope.

AWG_Pics said:
Nice changes for those who want or need them.

For us it fails on several points: we did not want a water heater, sure don't want air conditioning, don't need the roof lift assist (despite having fractured two vertebrae 2+ years ago.) I am glad we got our Tundra and Hawk before either went through their big redesigns. The new Tundras have lots of reliability issues it seems. The new FWC redesigns may or may not have similar problems.

I am indifferent to the siren song of lithium batteries.

The all automatic roof assist looks kind of ugly and looks hazardous to move around in the sleeping area in the dark.

Need a 3/4 ton at a minimum -- hmmm... seems like a drift away from lite and agile towards cumbersome and glampy.

This has been a message from your resident curmudgeon / misanthrope.
Ditto.Nice stuff if you want the additions.
I'll stick with what we have,at this stage our camping life out ATC Bobcat fits all our needs.
Frank

Well they all look wonderful but I am fixed income and man oh man .. prices are scary.. I say that knowing all "older folks" say that as we had a different scale in out heyday. That said $825 to raise the roof with a mono electric column .... when my back needs a rest my speaker stand hand crank does the same ...less than half the weight and easy. On that one I'll do Luddite. I searched but could not find the roof AC unit. Looks sleek. I would love to know $$$ and what the amp hours for use!

Don't know about the rest, but that inside power lift sure looks interesting! My soon to be 80 year old body could use the help sometimes :D !

Smoke

Of course all the new options come just months after I got my 2023. Sigh.

The Truma heater looks like a nice upgrade, as well as under bed storage. That's a great bargain. And the external lift will be a favorite. Given the AC option I guess maybe even sturdier roofs; be nice in snow country.

The lithium change makes sense; not much point in sticking to lead acid, and they enable more options like the lifts, AC, etc etc.

I might steal that swing-down design for a DIY interior lift with a speaker stand. Maybe they'll sell just the brackets as parts.

With a battery powered electric drill, an adapter, and a speaker stand, just need a couple of brackets to replicate the internal power lift & you get multiple uses from the power drill for way less than $825.

However, there were actual functional improvements in what was announced. There was a lot to like, other than a significant hit to the wallet due to needing a larger truck.

Paul

I’m a happy camper but still fun to look at the candy store. Speaker stand is way easier. But someone post AC price!

I always said if they offered Lithium batteries when I bought my Hawk Shell 3 years ago I would have popped for it even though it was at a premium price. I probably still would but the overall price now would have scared the heck out me!
I thought the under bed storage was nice until I realized with the new height of the campers is now would not fit in my garage even after I laid $$ to put in a taller door.
And with the new exterior lifts where would my awning go? And my fly rod tube? Glad I can still raise mine with 200 W panel on the roof.
They had to do a new furnace because the old ones (especially on Hawk models) design was very defective .
I did a rebuild on what I have and other than being way more expensive it suddenly was 300 pounds heavier. Even with a lighter lithium bat and Truma heater!
Im glad I have what I have thank you.

buckland said:
I’m a happy camper but still fun to look at the candy store. Speaker stand is way easier. But someone post AC price!

Roof Mounted 12 Volt Air Conditioner

Price - $4,995.00 Weight - 75lbs

More Info
NEW OPTION: Do you live in an area where you experience really hot or humid weather? Then you can now (maybe?) consider a Roof Mounted Air Conditioner for your camper. TWO IMPORTANT THINGS TO CONSIDER: (before ordering this option) #1. The camper must ALSO be equipped with Dual 135Ah Lithium Batteries for the air conditioner to run properly. In addition to having Dual Lithium 12V Batteries, you will also need to plug the camper into a 110/120 AC shore power electric outlet or a generator if you are going to run the air conditioner for any amount of time. Running the roof mounted air conditioner on 12v battery power only, will only last a short period of time. Please ask your sales rep about the Pro's & Con's of this option. # 2. You will also need to add either the "External Roof Lift Actuator" option, or the "Internal Roof Lift Actuator" option to be able to lift the camper roof. With the addition of an approx. 75 lbs on the roof, you will need to buy one or the other version of the Roof Lift Actuators to be able to put the roof up & down.
YIKES!

For those in the South it will probably be worth it. I think I'll get a few more years out of my camper.

Nice!!

Gonna order an inside lift for my Grandby. Sure will be nice since my wife has a hard time lifting the top. And I'm not getting any younger.

Looks like the quilted insulation can also be retrofitted as well.

craig333 said:
. . . I think I'll get a few more years out of my camper.
My Grandby was manufactured in 1977. Take care of it and it should last past when you no longer want to use it.

The shell model is still available for those who want to DIY.

I saw a welded aluminum double H lift panel in one of the pictures with the external(?) lift.

Not that I am in the market as I don't go where it is hot much, but Can one mount an AC by tipping 90º and having it through the back wall? 75 pounds on roof is considerable. ($5,000...ouch)

buckland said:
Not that I am in the market as I don't go where it is hot much, but Can one mount an AC by tipping 90º and having it through the back wall? 75 pounds on roof is considerable. ($5,000...ouch)
Lord of all things Wood.... have you missed the pictures of campers on the east coast that have small AC units in either the side window or the rear window (if equipped). There are some on this site, somewhere. Of course, you have to deal with all that weight hanging out of the window. I would not want to drive on a bumpy road like that.

A while ago I sketched an idea of carrying a cheap window AC on a receiver hitch cargo carrier and ducting the cold air into the camper. Would require a minimum 4" dia hole in the back of the camper and a little fab to connect it. Hardest part is extending and moving the controls inside.

Since I seldom camp in really hot weather the idea got put aside. I am doing that (ducting heat in) with a diesel bunk heater.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom