Bigger Turnbuckles

Beach

Mounting the Hawk onto the new truck and would like to upgrade the turnbuckles. Current turnbuckles are 3/8x8" open hook with a 350lb load limit. Does anyone know of a source for some beefier turnbuckles that won't break the bank. I would like to have same size, possibly 1/2x8" but more load capacity, maybe 600lb - 800lb. thanks

Can you please share the ones you are using. I badly need to upgrade from the stock turnbuckles.

NorCalHawk said:
I upgraded my turn buckles to Forged Steel (hook to hook) last year. Try Chicago Hardware and Fixture Company (American made)

I don't recall the actual turn buckle ordered. But, I do remember replacing all 4, ~the same length buckle as the FWC one's and one size up in diameter, 1/2" I think. Cuz I could not find 3/8" in forged steel. The buckles I have are, "Drop Forged" ~1000# rating, Class E (hook to hook).

Hope this helps

FWC has recommended Torklift S9012 as an alternative. Just got mine and they are much beefier.

DonC said:
FWC has recommended Torklift S9012 as an alternative. Just got mine and they are much beefier.
I tried one of those but the hook gap is too small to work with the mounting plates in the bed of my Tacoma, FWIW.

I might be able to get it to work with a quick link but didn't try.

1Tardis said:
Better if the head was drop forged
Boy this is a tough audience!!

If you look at the specs it has a1800# rating. I think it's tough enough for anything that a FWC will go through.

Stalking Light said:
Probably tough enough that the camper or truck bed will fail first. [emoji848]
Yup... resulting in a much more costly repair than replacing a turnbuckle.

I like the fact that I can visually check my turnbuckles when I stop for gas etc. and if they are fine, likely I have no issues. If the turnbuckles are stronger than the truck bed or camper tie down points, everything may look good but expensive damage may be taking place.

BTW, I'm not saying don't upgrade the turnbuckles, just don't overdo it. I wouldn't go above what FWC has recommended.

Stalking Light said:
I tried one of those but the hook gap is too small to work with the mounting plates in the bed of my Tacoma, FWIW.

I might be able to get it to work with a quick link but didn't try.

Now that is odd...that the S9012 hook is too small for the mounting plates in your Tacoma...cuz Stan at FWC recommended the S9012s. Are the standard eye-bolts [like in my Tundra] smaller that the attachments on the plates in your Tacoma?

Phil

FYI...There was previously on this forum a very lengthy discussion and dissection of the "turnbuckle issue".

Back
Top Bottom