Bike Rack

Miketeleskier

I have used a Thule hanging swing out rack for 10 years. It's on an offset hitch extension because my Granby is on a short bed truck and sits on the tailgate. My new bike is a 27.5+ full suspension bike and doesn't go on the hanging rack at all.

Has anyone got experience with a swing out tray type rack? I used to use a lift-up style Yakima rack but my back doesn't like lifting the rack and two bikes anymore. If necessary, I can mount a tray rack to the swing out parts of the hanging rack but the old rack is pretty used up.

I know that no company warranties a rack for off road use, but that is what we're all about here and I will use it for offroad no matter what the warrantee states.

By the way, the offset in the hitch extension lifts the rack about 10" and improves the exit and entry angles for the truck going through ditches etc.

Thanks for that suggestion - it worked well for my Specialized FSR until I put on a dropper seatpost. The new bike (A Fezzari Cascade Peak) has a KS LEV dropper and I'd be reluctant to use it on a dropper.

There don't seem to be too many simple solutions. I did find a company that makes the [SIZE=10pt]RakAttach which is a swingout receiver. It looks heavy though and I'd like to buy aluminum if possible.[/SIZE]

We bought a Rakattack for cargo basket. It is really great, but it is very heavy
At 66 it is heavy to lift into place to push into the receiver.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I have a 1up rack and it is very high quality and pretty lightweight. However, it doesn't swing away, it tilts away. You can't get in the camper with a bike mounted, but it is so quick to mount and dismount a bike, it is not a major pain - just a pain. I need a hitch extension for my rig, since the camper extends past the truck bed by 6 inches or so.
Splayleg said:
These one up racks are nice bit of kit. The departure angle is really good.
https://www.1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html
These are rated for off road but i bet there arnt as many lawyers down under. I think the one up is better plus more local. Isi will ship to the states
http://www.isi-carriers.com/customers/isi-bicycle-carrier-customers.html

Back
Top Bottom