binocular recommendations

Bseek

Gypsy Feet
I am thinking about getting some decent binoculars. I want small enough to carry easily for bird watching etc. I ordered the KOWA 10x25's back in July, but the $243 price seemed too good to be true and was because the on-line dealer took my money, but didn't deliver the goods. I am in a dispute through PayPal, so hopefully I will get my money back to buy some other way. I don't want to spend more than $400 because I know I will lose them or drop them or some such. Thanks in advance. This site is a wealth of informations and good advice.

I will give you my opinion. I'd buy porro prism based on what you want to see. Porros are an older design, usually heavier and bulkier, but typically offer better color and light transmission.

Roof prism binos are sleek and sexy, but high maintenance (more expensive to make well). The first question will be what kind of car you drive.

Porros are a little heavier and not so slim, but are comfortable riding in a truck down an old country road. Porros will deliver the goods year after year.

Spend less on porros and you can get significantly better quality. However, manufacturers don't put as much money into porros so you probably won't find as many for the $400 you want to spend.

Edited to add: these might work, Swift 8.5x44mm BWCF Audobon Birders

I don't know enough about modern binoculars to make a recommendation based on durability or optics but I will tell you about an interesting warranty I recently encountered.

30 years ago my wife and I bought some 7x35 Steiner "military/marine" binoculars based on the fact that they performed better in low light than any others we tried. About 20 years later the optics started to fog up a little so they lost the brightness which was the reason we originally bought them. They went into a box in the closet and we all but forgot about them. Recently I got to wondering if I could find someone who would repair them for us. I visited the Steiner website and discovered that they offer a lifetime warranty with no requirement to prove that you are the original owner. (Who keeps receipts for 30 years?)

I sent the binoculars off to Steiner a couple weeks ago and got a prompt email from them informing me that the binoculars had arrived and that their turn around time on repairs was 6 to 8 weeks, at which time they will let me know that they have shipped back to me. Needless to say I'm pretty pleased with Steiner.

Hmmmm, I'm going to recommend you spend more than $400, and you do purchase good roof prism binoculars. I birded for years with inexpensive/poor quality binoculars, and consequently went through several pair of them. I found that porro prism binoculars are easy to break or knock out of alignment.

About 25 years ago, I invested in a pair of Swarovski 7x42 SLC binos, and have never regretted it. They are bullet proof, bright, easy to handle and focus. I also carry a personal articles insurance policy on the optics, so they can be replaced if lost stolen, or dropped in the pond. It (the policy) is not expensive. If you have the budget, you won't regret buying high end glass. Ziess and Swarovski are going to give you the best performance, but there are others that are not as expensive.

I recommend relatively low magnification, like 7 or 8 power, and the biggest objective lenses you can get. That will give you the most amount of light without a lot of shake.

Edit: If you can, go into a shop like an Audubon or outdoor store that carries a good selection of brands and types, and see what works best for you. Try them in low light if you can, as that will give you a good feel for what has the best light transmission in the price range you decide upon.

I would suggest something in the 7-8 power with at least a 30 for the diameter of the objective lens. Anything more that an 8 power will be hard to hold steady. If you divide the first number into the second you will get a relative brightness, your 10x25's wouldn't have been so great in low light situations. One of the best pairs of binoculars I've ever seen was made by Meade and were 7x47 with a carbon fiber frame so they were incredibly light in addition to being fairly bright.

Swarovski binocs are incredible but you will pay for them. Years ago I watched a rep take a pair and intentionally drop them on a concrete floor, they survived with no issues so i wouldn't be too concerned about their durability.

Leupold, and Nikon make very good Binoculars for the money. Swarovski, Zeiss, and Lecia are well worth the money and will make your experience very enjoyable. This said Swarovski warranty is second to none. Zeiss could not compare. As I have had experience with both.

Go to an outdoor store and ask to compare outside when the sun is coming down -Dusk. You can really tell the difference at this time of day and decide from there.

My Swarovski's were expensive 20 years ago. I still have them, use them all the time and love them. Swarovski refurbished them for me 10 years ago for 100 dollars and they came back like new!

Hey, Bseek, some years back I bought an inexpensive binocular from Pentax that can focus all the way down to 1/2 meter. It's meant for observing butterflies and small critters at close range, but does a decent job with birds, too. The optics are pretty good for a small binocular, but not great. It's called the Papilio. I got the 8.5x21 which is better for birding IMHO, but has a limited field of view. It's well below your price limit. It's not for astronomy or wide field landscape scanning.

Just something else to consider, especially if you are into butterflies as well as birds.

Here's a link to a review

Thank you highz. I had looked at these because John Muir Laws, the illustrator of the Laws Field Guide to the Sierra Nevada, and an amazing educator/artist recommended them too. They are not high end, but with my budget they are probably sufficient for entry level. But it was great to get a second opinion.

Bseek - Thanks for starting this thread; it motivated me to do what I have been meaning to do for several years. Wandering S. - Thanks for the tips on binoculars from a birder's perspective. Without your comments, I would have been inclined to simply go for the highest magnification. pvstoy - Thanks for the tip on Vortex Optics, I was not familiar with them. What a warrantee!. After a little additional internet research, I ordered a pair of 8 x 42 Vortex Viper HD binoculars today, and I am anxiously awaiting their arrival.

My Papillo II binoculars arrived yesterday, and I am quite pleased with them for the price. $109.00, Amazon free shipping. They are nice and clear, but the greatest thing is how they focus on things close up. Not quite what I thought of when I started down the trail for binoculars, but I can see how this will be very handy when out in nature wanting a close up. Thanks everyone. See you down the trail.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed mine. They make butterfly identification a lot easier. I do have another pair of binoculars that I use for binocular astronomy, but they are too heavy to be hiking binocs. The Papilios are the hiking buddy.

Back
Top Bottom