blankets or sleeping bag?

super doody said:
For folks with FWC, can you close the top with the pillow on the bed?
I can, even with that big bag. I do have skinny pillows though.

One thing that you can consider if you don't use the Queen slide out to sleep on, is to slide out the slide and put your pillows where the cushions would normally go. Even a huge pillow would fit there.

The 6 latches to secure the roof are also adjustable if you need a little but of grace. Just use common sense.

super doody said:
For folks with FWC, can you close the top with the pillow on the bed?
The short answer is yes. We did all the time before getting a Mega Mat for my wife. It and the sleeping bags stay up top with the top down now.

I've always used a sleeping bag: A cool-weather one for the warmer part of the year and a cold-weather one for the colder part of the year. Both are "modified mummy" style, two different weights/versions of the same REI synthetic-fill bag.

Why a sleeping bag? Because when I went from tent/back-of-truck camping to camper-camping the sleeping bag remained as part of my kit -- just a relic, holdover from a bygone era that inertia kept in place.

But those very-rectangular bags do look appealing for the roominess....or maybe I'll consider going to bed-style bedding, for the same reason. Plus, bed-style bedding has the advantage of being more-easily washable.

My winter bag is a Cabela's something. Extra wide and long. Nylon though. My summer bag is and extra wide extra long fleece thing I found at Big5.

Summer weight His-n-hers bags the zip together to make Ours. Fleece blanket to pull over the top if need be. Husband who knows how to start the heater & gets voluntold to do so if more needed.

Bags stay on the bed, but pillows and blanket can't.

Two Teton Sports zero degree bags and when needed a doubled up fleece blanket on top of the bags really helps. Oh and now I use a Kelty air mattress which is great.

Our Hawk bed stays made up all the time with blankets and optional down comforter. Sleeping bags are okay, but now that we have a camper, we're happy to have a comfy bed setup. Pillows come down, stored behind fold over seat while traveling.

We're kind of goofy. We use a 1.5" memory foam topper, then throw a moving blanket on it, then use a comforter and lots of pillows. We are able to leave the topper, moving blanket and comforter on the bed and lower the top, but not the pillows... I'd sell a small body part for underbed storage like the flat bed FWC has...

Our Phoenix has that underbed storage. I've debated putting the pillows in there, but can only access it with the top up. Makes it inconvenient at best. We've debated adding doors to the end and perhaps a drawer of sorts to each of the sections (fore/aft dividers to support the bed).

MarkBC said:
But those very-rectangular bags do look appealing for the roominess....
That is a Madison Ave marketing feature...

If you need a bag to keep warm, mummy is the way to go. Or perhaps a modified mummy like some of Nemo Equipment less expesnive versions.

Having used a bag in cold environs above 10,000, I can attest to the mummy design being more efficient keeping you as warm as possible. Roominess equates to more trapped air the body must warm, and keep warm which is less efficient. This really means you can't stay as warm with with a roomy bag v. a mummy with equal fill. Further, the mummy design helps to prevent the escape of warmed air inside the bag.

If keeping warm in the cold is the primary consideration, take a hard look at a mummy. Size it according to your body, not adding uneeded extra length.

Folks who are ctircal of mummy, often lament that they like roomy rectangle bags so they can turn inside the bag like at home in bed under the covers. Yet, the mummy bag simply turns and rolls with you. If there is a down side to the mummy, if you are a restless leg sleeper, you probably will find the mummy design imprisoning.

Advmoto18 said:
That is a Madison Ave marketing feature...

If you need a bag to keep warm, mummy is the way to go. Or perhaps a modified mummy like some of Nemo Equipment less expesnive versions....
I'm very familiar with mummy bags -- owned and used several of various types over the past 40 years.
But I'm not backpacking or even tent camping in my camper -- I'm in a bed in an insulated structure that has a heater, so it's not a question of what keeps me warmest. It's a question of what's most convenient and comfortable -- in a bed.
And I don't sleep in a mummy bag in my house... ;)

So...that's why I'm considering an alternative more appropriate for the situation.

I have a mummy for backpacking. No way I'd use it in the camper. Simply no need. I wish I could leave it on the bed. Reading this thread I may have to try again. I never considered readjusting the clamps.

MarkBC said:
I'm very familiar with mummy bags -- owned and used several of various types over the past 40 years.
But I'm not backpacking or even tent camping in my camper -- I'm in a bed in an insulated structure that has a heater, so it's not a question of what keeps me warmest. It's a question of what's most convenient and comfortable -- in a bed.
And I don't sleep in a mummy bag in my house... ;)

So...that's why I'm considering an alternative more appropriate for the situation.
Gotcha...

In that case, look at seasonal comforters and sheets! Why even consider a bag? Go with what puts the grin on your face, not what some else might find appealing.

I just picked up of these for cool summer nights. An upstart that just had a very very successful Kickstarter launch. The quality is superb.

When I got home from picking up my Hawk, I threw the comforter on the bed and re-adjusted the top clamps. Took the hose and sprayer in low psi mist setting and sprayed around the mating surfaces. No leaks!

Alp's Mountaineering 25 degree double bag. Sierra Trading Post for $80. Awesome bag and exact same size as my Hawk bed fully extended. Use sleeping bag liner for easy wash.

Hacky Sack is the brand of 2 person indoor bag we use. I believe that brand is gone, but other brands are still available as mentioned earlier. Zippers both sides. Thinner summer weight side, and heavier cool temperature side. Velcro in U shaped sheet that removes easy for laundering.
We use a memory foam topper over stock Alaskan mattress. Roll up sack and topper to lower top to go. Easy, but looks "made" when straightened.
My wife & I like it. If mom's happy.....

Whatever works for YOU is best..... :)

Edit, based on subsequent posts: heavy duty PLASTIC zippers on this version. Sounds like something to watch for if your purchasing a big bag and plan to sleep in the cold at night....

Wife and I started with fitted flannel sheets and a down comforter - gives us a lot of flexibility for temp control and easy to wash.
But we grew tired of fitting the sheets...
I used one of our mummy bags when by myself in the winter, but I don't like feeling constrained by the bag, and I have a furnace....
Our current iteration is a 2-person rectangular bag with a warm and cold side we got at Sportsman's Warehouse- seems like our best solution so far- lots of room to move around, although some sort of easy-to-wash liner sounds like a good idea.

COBlue said:
But we grew tired of fitting the sheets...
This is why I prefer my sleeping bag. As much as I like fitted sheets and bedding, I don't want to have to climb up and try to make a bed then I am on top of. I'm sure people have their techniques of which may involve working from down below.

We cut the mattress down so that a fitted Queen bottom sheet could be used.

In summer we use top sheet and one open summer square sleeping bag as a comforter or light blanket if warm.

In winter Cabellas Rectangular zero degree sleeping bags. (downside of not having a vented to the outside furnace). About $139.00 and a blanket over our feet to cover the metal zippers that get cold brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr at night. Roomy and comfortable flannel lining - the wife loves it. Mummy bags are too restricting at this point in my life.

Back
Top Bottom