Bleeding the hydraulic system

If the hydraulic system is unable to lift the roof, it can be done with several people. You would then insert the pins into the cylinders. Then one at a time you would wedge a 2x4 in each corner to take the load off the cylinder, which could then be disconnected from the hydraulic line and removed from the camper. While aiming the cylinder into a coffee can, you can squirt the oil out by pushing the piston down. The orings should be available at any tractor dealer or even a decent hardware store, they are cheap, buy spares

I think some people remove the cylinders when to top is down, but it's a pain and often the counters and cabinets get in the way.

the plan is put the camper on the ground, lift the roof with jacks.. then slide up and out the 3/4 rod from the 1inch tube to reveal the o-ring.
But other directions say to loosen the nut..
maybe both options are viable? here a couple pics. The bottom nut and the top of one ram.
166ljpg.jpg

opw6ti.jpg

I wouldn't touch the bottom nut, I would just pull the piston from the cylinder

sequence for o-ring replacement......

fold a paper towel to a band about 1-1 1/2" wide...then carefully and securely wrap the paper towel around the lower tube just below the nut...this will absorb and hydraulic fluid you may (will) lose in this process

with the top up and pinned in its highest place (with all 4 brass pins)...secure a 22 1/2" broom handle or some form of brace that length...it will brace up the corner you are working on..

lift the corner slightly (while inside the camper)and place the broom handle in place to hold up that corner you are working on...it will rest on the rim of the lower half and be wedged in place against the top directly adjacent to the bracket attaching the cylinder to the upper half

remove the cylinder connection from the bracket on the wall of the upper section (7/16" nut)

loosen the nut around the larger half of the cylinder which the smaller tube slides

with the top tube free and the nut removed so it slides up and down the inner or smaller tube....pull the tube with the nut around it out of the larger tube

replace the o-ring on the base of the upper tube making sure you apply a small amount of hydraulic fluid to the o-ring and reinsert in the larger tube

re-attache the nut loosely and attach the upper tube to the bracket on the wall...then tighten the nut at the convergence of the two tubes...don't remove the nut at the base of the tube...the lower tube of the cylinder remains in place during the operation

next tube...same as the first....all four should take about 30-45 minutes

I hope I didn't forget anything....once you do it the first time...it's a piece of cake

thanks rusty.. got them all replaced and jacked it up 6 inches. Now I'm figuring out how to bleed them.

If you find a good way, post up. Best I could do was crack the tubing connection and let it weep into a rag

(1) loosen pressure release valve, pump several times, tighten
(2) your method ..loosen farthest away fitting, pump bubbles out. (gonna try that tomorrow)
(3) I'm going to go thru every thread here and look for another method.

The issue is the high points are the tops of the cylinders, eventually the air gets by the orings, until then it's a bit spongy

Back
Top Bottom