Boat for the Grandby recommendations.

Rowing Skiff with small trailer

I bought last year a 15ft rowing skiff (it's a row boat with a fancy name) from Little River Marine in Florida:

http://littlerivermarine.com/boats-Heritage15.php

The trailer falls apart in 3 pieces after removing 5 screws, the parts fit into the camper, including the axle and wheels.

The boat weighs about 90 lbs without the oars and with some effort and the right roof rack you should be able to get it up.

There are for sure easier and cheaper solutions, but for style and speed without a motor, this is the way to go.

Oh, and you can sail it too.

Attachments

• Bahia Honda May 08 002 (Medium).jpg
    Bahia Honda May 08 002 (Medium).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 256
Solved!

No Sweat!!

AHHH MAN...Where was this beauty when I was lookin' for a camper a couple months ago!!!! Seriously, somebody did a lot of work and had a lot of fun putting that together. The door is art.

A tube mounted to one of the jack hoists and a collapsible hoist that will fit into it might work if I can't lift the roof and boat together. It's a solution I hadn't thought of...Thanks Jay:)

I bought last year a 15ft rowing skiff (it's a row boat with a fancy name) from Little River Marine in Florida:

http://littlerivermarine.com/boats-Heritage15.php

The trailer falls apart in 3 pieces after removing 5 screws, the parts fit into the camper, including the axle and wheels.

The boat weighs about 90 lbs without the oars and with some effort and the right roof rack you should be able to get it up.

There are for sure easier and cheaper solutions, but for style and speed without a motor, this is the way to go.

Oh, and you can sail it too.

What a sweet setup!

Do you know if both the heavy duty and ultralight trailers disassemble easily? Do you use your boat and trailer off road or on dirt roads (washboard) much? If so, has it worked well for that??

The boat is really nice looking...wineglass stern...looks like a Whitehall pulling boat. So many great boats...wish I could have one of each!

We've pretty much settled on the Hobie pedal kayak for at least the first solution. They are pretty light and I'm hoping I can lift top and kayak together. captainkettel and crew do that with nearly the same kayak . I'll do some testing to see if i think it will work for me too.

...What I would do now with my Eagle is use the 2 brackets on the two rear corners (assuming you don't keep lift jacks permanently installed) and build a bar that goes across the back edge and use that to 'slide' a canoe or kayak up on top. I still have kayak but have not yet tried this idea...

I think the Yakima rollers are the ones I see on a lot of the cars and SUV's that carry kayaks. They look solid and seem to work really well...as you said. The roller/bar seems like a good solution for getting the kayak on the roof, similar to Les's (lqhikers) solution. It seems like the verticals and cross bar could be made either as a permanent installation or as a temporary...just fix short tubes to the jack brackets and insert the verticals into them...then remove when you aren't using it. I think I coud make it work even with the jacks installed...might need to go to some longer bolts though. Thanks.
____

I did some research on using kayaks for fishing in Baja and was pleased to see that a lot of folks do. One spot that's associated with a hotel in Baja advertised kayak fishing for rockfish, bass and the other species I would have expected, along with Dorado (mmmmmmm! Mahi!) and then said "even Sailfish and Marlin"!

I got a great mental picture of a guy in a kayak with a bent rod and huge grin hooked up with a grander, hittin' just the tops of the rollers headed into the sunset toward Oahu! Cracked me up! I guess it's been done though(??)

Thanks to all of you who put out so many great ideas:thumb: The camper is still in the lower 48 and we're scheduled to join up with it again in a couple weeks. I'll do a little testing to see if I'll need to add any mechanical help and then we'll head further south and will look for a kayak while we're there. Yes, I'll post pictures once we get it and get camera and software together again!

We will eventually add a trailer, either commercially collapsible (the one cabezon23 pointed us to might work right out of the box) or one I modify to collapse or knock down easily. We'll add an aluminum skiff, probably a 16' with a 40hp outboard, to use with the camper and to replace one or two of our existing boats...just not enough space for more and it's tough to use very many at the same time:) Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom