Bobcat Delivery

George

Advanced Member
Got my new Bobcat for the Taco yesterday down in Jean, south of Las Vegas. These guys at ATC know how to pick nice days for installing a camper. The installation was pretty easy. Marty had to nibble at one of the mounts for the fancy external tie-down in front. Unfortunately, the manufacturer doesn't leave the actual mounting point quite far enough from the truck, so the flared 'fender' is a little tight. I think they could make a longer bracket, or you could put a threaded steel ring through one of the two mount points, to extend it a bit. I think a piece of carefully trimmed wood in the bed, between the sidewall and the side of the camper, might prevent movement.

The flared fender also makes for tight clearance as the bed slides under the camper. I backed it under using my old trick, a piece of tape centered on the front of the camper, and the back of the bed. Marty flexed the jacks enough to get by. There is some flex in the jacks. Extensions would be a less stressful route.

OK, so those were the problems. The camper itself is about all I could ask, not having used it to camp. I went out today and played with the pop-up. It's a nice system. It looks a little awkward, but everything just falls into place. The whole unlatch and lift is about a minute. It looks like good vinyl to me. The front bed is terrific. I guess there is some controversy because cushions for the extension can't be store in the cabover part. You might not use the extension, sleeping across, or they could offer thinner cushions. I like it the way it is, but I might look at Cabelas thick inflatable pad sometime if I thought I could store a big solar panel up there with the roof down.

The camper has a really big feel inside. With the all the pop-up area windows 'open', you really get a sense of where you are. It's kind of cool because you are pretty high up. The ceiling is a cushion surface, and I am just about at ceiling height. That's a nice touch. I like the fact you can sit on the sofa, use the porta potty, or do simple meal prep with the top not extended. Maybe you shouldn't run the lights. Getting the furnace as a standalone option with the shell provides a really nice counter. The electrical panel is right there, so it's easy to wire things on either side, from the panel or the battery.

The truck seemed to settle some, with the weight of the camper added. It looks fairly even, front to back, as far as I can judge. The ride is softer, which could be a plus. I didn't really test anything on a rough road. The position of the camper anchors still concerns me a little. The side mirrors worked OK, and you need them. I can see a thin slice of road from the camper door window, and that is quite helpful at times.

For me, there would be no advantage in a larger shell. I apparently got the 'big' bed, because of the slide. The windows are interesting, with several layers, and you need to go outside with a step stool to open them. It's not that big a deal. Ventilation should not be a problem.

I'll try to post a full review with photos on my photo site in a few weeks, but my initial impression is pretty positive. From everything Marty told me they are trying to make a quality product. The four inches they add to the width seems really smart, to me. There is enough space to move around, even with the sofa, which sticks out. I took my Coleman folding camping chair, which is like a directors chair, and it fits nicely on the floor. There is more than enough room for people to move around and get by each other. At the same time, there is no 'camper bulge' look. Looks really nice with the Taco. Everything is white. The "Bobcat" decal is a nice touch, with little cat feet. I like looking at the camper on the truck, in my front yard.

Overall, I'm sure this is nicking some gas mileage. I have the Taco fourby with the 6 speed manual. The fifth gear seems to work well on hills. Getting home is one good climb over a plateau, to a mile of elevation. There's a loss of power, but it's reasonable. I feel I'm getting most of what I want in this camper, except maybe a toilet with a holding tank. This is a lot of camper for the weight. I really can't believe this thing weighs around 650 pounds. What I put in will equal the jacks, more or less, when the jacks come off. A lot of people seem to say you need 'big' trucks to carry campers, and especially comfortable trailers. This works quite well. So it's either fancy camping or minimalist RVing. The pure shell really wouldn't be that bad with a camp stove and a couple of camp chairs, maybe a little catalytic heater.

jacks

George,

Just sent you an email with a solution for the jacks. As soon as I hear from you I will make some brackets and have them powder coated to extend the jacks another 1" on the front.

I think the fit of the turnbuckles is rather good from what I can tell in the pictures. I know they are close, but for the person who wants to go off road a lot, less chance of them catching things being closer to the truck.

Let me know how they work out for you and if we need to make any adjustments on the fit of them.

Thank you for the write up also. Appreciate you taking the time to write so much and let everyone know how the camper fit for you. Looking forward to your trips and pictures.

Thank you again.

Flare Problems

Hi Ben,

Thanks for all the help. To let people know, there is a flare in the fender of the Taco. The bend in the sheet metal gets in the way of the Torklift turnbuckle, and the Rieco camper jack barely clears the flare as you back under the camper to mount it. Here's a picture of where things end up.

http://www.pbase.com/image/74041183

The turnbuckle, which doesn't do credit to this device, is touching the foot of the jack. It's also a little close to the side of the truck. You have to have some play to actuate the spring mechanism. This is a great turnbuckle, but it needs a little space. There is just enough, but a little more would help. I think the camper could move enough to push the turnbuckle into the side of the cab, but these things hold everything very tight. Ben doesn't think movement is a problem.

The 'total' solution seems to be to extend the turnbuckle bracket, extend the camper jack, and use the front slot of the bracket for the turnbuckle, which is at the end of the orange arrow. Extending the bracket leaves it more exposed. It might be better to put up with the inconvenience, depending on the use.

ATC is giving me the parts. I've tried to give them as much information as possible. Hopefully All Terrain will have the best solution, and so will I, for Tacomas.

Basic problem is you have a truck with a 'useless' flare, and three after market suppliers whose products work great except for that flare. Oh well... What you want is for the aftermarket guys to be adaptable. Rieco doesn't supply much but a two hundred dollar bracket for duallies. A basic extender is fairly easy to make, but AT is powder coating it so it won't look bad. Torklift seems to have some parts. It's probably better for Torklift and AT to get together, since they have a lot more expertise than the customer. The customer wants a solution for 'right now' and the suppliers want a solution for the long term, for future customers.

I think All Terrain is trying to find a long term solution for Tacomas that will be their 'package'. If so, people should be pretty happy.

camper mount

Just a follow up to George's post. We are having the brackets made now to extend the jack out 1". I have talked to torklift and they are going to make a 2" longer insert for the mounting of the turnbuckle. Once these are done, we will send the package to George and see how it works out.

I believe this will solve the problem with the flare on the truck and the turnbuckle resting against the foot of the jack. The only disadvantage that I can see to the system once it is put on will be that the insert will be in the way of the jack lowering if someone wants to drop the jack while they are out camping. The turnbuckle will have to be removed and the insert pulled out to drop the jack.

This should not present any problems when installing or removing the camper since you have to unhook the turnbuckle to remove the camper anyway or wait until the camper is on the truck to hook it up.

But with a 2" longer insert for the Torklift mount, won't you need to move the jacks out more than 1"? Never mind - I missed the part about removing the torklift to lower the jack.

On the other hand, if you moved the jacks out 3" you could leave the turnbuckles in place and have more clearance when backing the truck under the camper...

solution

Well the solution we have come up with so far is to add a 1" extension for the jack just for clearance around the wheel areas of the bed. We have a 2" extension on its way for the insert that the turnbuckle hooks to, again just for clearance around the flare of the truck bed. Between the two it should make the camper a lot more user friendly. We will see when we get all the parts in and sent out to George.

Now I see how did you find out the "flare" issue I was concerning about :D
Looks like thing will be smoother when I get mine Bobcat early March. :)
George,
Thanks for posting the info. I've a DC Taco long bed and I was concern that the turnbuckle and the legs might get too close to the truck. I'll benefit from your installation for sure!

Alex

Not that big a deal

Alex,

They definitely need the extension on the jacks. I took the jacks off, but when I sighted between the jacks, the flare was very, very close. I don't know how we got the camper on.

The clearance on the fastlocks doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I had a big Lance camper for years. It was an 11 foot floor, and three feet extended beyond the back of the bed, with the holding tanks at the rear. It moved around. When I saw the final installation of the Bobcat, I thought it would behave like the Lance. Marty said that it hadn't moved bringing it down, so it should be OK. I guess Torklift thinks bed mats are a good way to go, and they immobilize things some more. It really does not seem to move. Still, the clearance makes adjusting and installing the fastlocks more difficult than it would be with good clearance.

It's pretty handy for me having the shell on the truck all the time. With the top up, it's a great camping vehicle. Despite the bigger engine, there isn't a lot of capacity with a Taco. But, by keeping it light and low profile, I'm only losing about 2 mpg.

Be interesting to see what ATC decides for the official Taco install. Right now I'm using the front slot in the Torklift bracket. That means there is more pull, more leverage. Moving to the back bracket would reduce it, a little. They could leave it where I ended up, go with an extension, go with an extension and recommend a mat. They might get some experience that causes them to rethink the back supports. A lot is going to depend on what people want to do with the camper mounted. The Taco is a great truck. Toyota is an amazing company.

Anyway, Marty is a good guy. I spent a lot of minutes on the phone getting a sticky thermostat working OK. He's answered a lot of questions on how to make mods, where the wiring is.

George,
That was one of mine concerns, Ben mention he's going to move the bracket out 1" that should help.
I've put a rubber mat from Toyota on the bed and install AirLift on the rear to prepare the truck. In stock form the rear leaf spring is only about 2.5" away from bump stop on a DC longbed Taco. I'll post some pics when I get my installed in first week of March. Mine is going to be a lot heavier than yours. I've all the stuff inside and a 1500W inverter/charger. I'll weight my truck before and after so we can see how much the camper weights.

Alex

Back
Top Bottom